Benefits of 7.1

dtugarte

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi

A couple of weeks ago I purchased an Onkyo TX-NR616 which is a 7.2 receiver. I have only ever used 5.1 before so the new receiver was connected to my 5.1 system and the extra connections I used to bi-amp my fronts as I listen to a fair bit of music too and thought this would get the best from the receiver in 2 channel mode. Ever since I got this receiver though I keep thinking about dropping the bi-amping in favour of surround back speakers. So I wanted to know if its worth doing this, does bi-amping make much difference, is 7.1 much better than 5.1? :?

A

Anonymous

Hi,

for me bi-amping only really made a difference when listening to stereo music, particularly without using the sub. I think the change from 5.1 to 7.1 can make quite a difference, though for me it depends on your sofa placement.

If your sofa is already very near the wall behind it, the rear speaker effect is diminished, but if you have a bit (or a lot) of space behind the sofa and you noticibly feel a "sound emptiness" (for want of a better explaination), those 2 extra speakers can really add a nice roundedness to the sound, especially in a 7.1 soundtrack, but even when using your amps inbuilt upconversion from 5.1 to 7.1.

Of course you'll never know unless you try!

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I had 5.1 for years before going 7.1.

The first impression is of less surround action, but this is because you don't have such a large 'hole' between the front speakers and the surround channels. Once properly set up, the sound is more immersive, giving seamless 360 degree sound (providing your speaker positioning is spot on). I'm glad I made the change.

I have about 1.5 - 2m behind my sofa for the surround rear channels, don't think I'd have bothered going 7.1 if my sofa was butt up against the rear wall.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
I found biamping no improvement so have 7.1 sofa 20cm from rear wall hopefully creating curtain of sound behind. Yet to blast warhorse 7.1 bd in this config. Will report back.

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts