Benchmark DAC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
ChrisMM:Ajani and Jaxwired - can you use these Benchmarks as straightforward headphone amps in addition to the DAC functions? In other words, can you plug in an analogue source (say a tuner, phono amp, or conventional CD player) and listen through phones? If so it would kill two birds with one stone, especially as I believe it has remote control functionality too.

If you buy the DAC1 HDR version, you can hook up any of those sources. But that model costs more than the basic version I purchased. http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/system1/digital-analog-converter/dac1-hdr

The basic model I have will allow you to hook up a CDP, if it has a digital out. It does not have normal RCA inputs though. For that you need the HDR model.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Right on. FYI, the DAC1/pre doesn't have a remote control. You need the top model to get the remote.

I agree, the Dac1/pre is way cool.
emotion-1.gif

Based on the reviews I've read, this should step up my source to high end level...

A

Anonymous

In the UK the version with remote costs £600 more than the one without, which seems OTT for just that feature.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Got the benchmark Dac1 yesterday. I've spent about 3 hours with it now doing A/B comparisons with my NAD C545 CDP. Thought I'd share my initial impressions.

The NAD CDP has both optical and coax digital outputs. I opted for the coax since a couple of the reviews I read preferred it (but I suspect benchmark would argue they should be identical). I am using a $20 coax digital cable I purcahsed from benchmark with the DAC1. It's a pretty nice cable, but I will probably try a Chord version later just to see.

My A/B comparisons have been primarily with the following by the band "The Beautiful Girls". This CD is very well produced and has a very clean but unpolished sound to it.

CRAS-CD-057_cover_lorez.jpg

Track 2 "Morning Sun" has a lot of cymbol content and I've never heard cymbols like the bechmark produced before. More detail and crispness than I'm used to.

Track 8 "Mar" is a stripped down acoustic guitar ballad and the benchmark produced a more focused and vivid guitar. Really dynamite presentation. Definate "wow" sound.

I also listened to Norah Jones "Feels Like Home"

Norah_Jones-Feels_Like_Home-Frontal.jpg

Track 1 "Sunrise" has a clip-clop percussion sound in the background. With the benchmark DAC1 this clip clop sound (whatever the heck it is) sounds bloody amazing. Loving it.

Summary: Overall, the benchmark DAC1 sounds extremely crisp and vivid. The NAD C545 is very good also and the difference did not blow me away like many of the customer testimonies. Everything I A/B compared, I preferred the benchmarks precision and vivid presentation. Normally the NAD sounds very detailed and crisp, but when compared to the benchmark DAC1, it sounded, in a subtle way, fuzzy. It's the kind of fuzziness you would never notice without the comparison. The DAC1 is so tight and sharp sounding, yet still smooth. This does not sound harsh at all. In fact, the NAD is definately a tiny bit brighter or just less smooth than the benchmark.

The DAC1 comes with like 10 pages of over the top customer testimonials in the box. LOL. Very smart marketing. I think they are bound to impact your assessment if you read them prior to listening (I read them after my comparison).

So that's my initial impression. Right now, it's a keeper, but I've still got 28 more days to decide for sure...

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
jaxwired:
Got the benchmark Dac1 yesterday. I've spent about 3 hours with it now doing A/B comparisons with my NAD C545 CDP. Thought I'd share my initial impressions.

The NAD CDP has both optical and coax digital outputs. I opted for the coax since a couple of the reviews I read preferred it (but I suspect benchmark would argue they should be identical). I am using a $20 coax digital cable I purcahsed from benchmark with the DAC1. It's a pretty nice cable, but I will probably try a Chord version later just to see.

My A/B comparisons have been primarily with the following by the band "The Beautiful Girls". This CD is very well produced and has a very clean but unpolished sound to it.

Track 2 "Morning Sun" has a lot of cymbol content and I've never heard cymbols like the bechmark produced before. More detail and crispness than I'm used to.

Track 8 "Mar" is a stripped down acoustic guitar ballad and the benchmark produced a more focused and vivid guitar. Really dynamite presentation. Definate "wow" sound.

Track 1 "Sunrise" has a clip-clop percussion sound in the background. With the benchmark DAC1 this clip clop sound (whatever the heck it is) sounds bloody amazing. Loving it.

Summary: Overall, the benchmark DAC1 sounds extremely crisp and vivid. The NAD C545 is very good also and the difference did not blow me away like many of the customer testimonies. Everything I A/B compared, I preferred the benchmarks precision and vivid presentation. Normally the NAD sounds very detailed and crisp, but when compared to the benchmark DAC1, it sounded, in a subtle way, fuzzy. It's the kind of fuzziness you would never notice without the comparison. The DAC1 is so tight and sharp sounding, yet still smooth. This does not sound harsh at all. In fact, the NAD is definately a tiny bit brighter or just less smooth than the benchmark.

The DAC1 comes with like 10 pages of over the top customer testimonials in the box. LOL. Very smart marketing. I think they are bound to impact your assessment if you read them prior to listening (I read them after my comparison).

So that's my initial impression. Right now, it's a keeper, but I've still got 28 more days to decide for sure...

Your initial impressions sound much like how I'd expect the Differences between a Benchmark DAC and a NAD CD player to sound (Having previously owned a NAD C521BEE CD Player and now a Benchmark DAC1). The more you listen, the more you will appreciate the improvements the DAC1 provides... but these differences IMHO are not usually "night and day" as some overly enthusiastic hobbyists claim...

manicm

Ajani:jaxwired:

CRAS-CD-057_cover_lorez.jpg

Norah_Jones-Feels_Like_Home-Frontal.jpg

Your initial impressions sound much like how I'd expect the Differences between a Benchmark DAC and a NAD CD player to sound (Having previously owned a NAD C521BEE CD Player and now a Benchmark DAC1). The more you listen, the more you will appreciate the improvements the DAC1 provides... but these differences IMHO are not usually "night and day" as some overly enthusiastic hobbyists claim...

I actually bought a new NAD C521BEE some years back - frankly I thought it was cacas and flogged it.

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Good stuff Jax. I'm not far behind you - slight detour as I've seen a 2nd hand dac thats got my attention but if that doesn't come off I'll be placing my order. They cost a few more quid over here though...

More thoughts after more listening please.

A

Anonymous

I have read accounts of people that have both the Benchmark and the Beresford Caiman and they have said there is little to seperate them.

Make of that what you will

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
manicm:Ajani:jaxwired:

I actually bought a new NAD C521BEE some years back - frankly I thought it was cacas and flogged it.

Yeah... I actually replaced the NAD with a Marantz CD5001 (which I much prefered)... Sadly I have neither on hand to do a direct comparison with the Benchmark... But based on memory, I'd say the Benchmark DAC1 sounds much more like a more refined Marantz unit than a NAD... but either way, differences aren't night and day...

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
lordmortlock:Good stuff Jax. I'm not far behind you - slight detour as I've seen a 2nd hand dac thats got my attention but if that doesn't come off I'll be placing my order. They cost a few more quid over here though... More thoughts after more listening please.

mortlock, Don't buy another DAC! Maybe my review sounded a little luke warm. That's not accurate. As we yanks like to say, this DAC1 kicks a$$. I'm listening to it now and it's definately the best my system has ever sounded by a fair margin.

Zero chance I'm sending this back. The more I listen the better it gets. Very high VFM.

Can't you buy directly from the web site like I did? They make it sound very international friendly...

There's like 10 different major publication reviews on this DAC and they're all big raves. Trust me....
emotion-5.gif

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I hear ya! The review didn't sound luke warm - very sensible and considered I thought. I love the Beautiful Girls btw - big fave of mine. I've just been listening to the 'learn yourself' LP for what must be the hundreth time.

The price doesn't put me off too much. Does it work out more expensive for you guys if you buy imported Bristish kit?

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
lordmortlock:The price doesn't put me off too much. Does it work out more expensive for you guys if you buy imported Bristish kit?

It's really pretty odd. The exchange rate is 1.64 dollars to 1 pound. And some gear will sell for that exchange rate. Like Monitor Audio stuff is very close to the same price over here as over there. Dynaudio is also fairly priced over here. As is B&W. But ATC is marked way up. PMC is marked way up. And Chord cables are ridiculous. Like double what they cost over there. That's why I buy them on ebay.uk and have them shipped. NAD is actually cheaper over here. Quad is also very reasonable.

The problem for me is with speakers. There's lots of good North American electronics, but good hifi speakers are mostly imported. You've really got the better deal since there's a really nice selection of great quality British made gear.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Hey Jax,

I like your updated signature...

Have you tried connecting the DAC1 directly to your Quad Amp (yeah I know you lose the benefit of a remote) to see how the DAC1 sounds as a preamp compared to the NAD?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
hi fi newbie:

I have read accounts of people that have both the Benchmark and the Beresford Caiman and they have said there is little to seperate them.

Make of that what you will

But most Beresford owners would believe that.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Ajani: Have you tried connecting the DAC1 directly to your Quad Amp (yeah I know you lose the benefit of a remote) to see how the DAC1 sounds as a preamp compared to the NAD?

No, I have not tried it yet. It sounds terrific with the the pre-amp in the loop, but I will definately give it a whirl soon. I hope it doesn't sound too good since then I will have to buy the one with the remote...
emotion-4.gif

lordmortlock:Hey Ajani Can you do that? I though you needed the Pre or Hdr models to do this?

Nope, you don't need the pre or hdr models. Since the basic DAC1 is also a headphone amp, it has a manual volume control on the front. There's a switch on the back to make the volume control active for the RCA (phono) outputs. So you can just hook the RCA outs directly to into your amp and use the manual volume to adjust the sound. This will completely bypass the pre-amp for a more pure signal.

But with this arrangement, obviously you can have no other source hooked to your amp. That's why they offfer the "Pre" model. The advantage of the "pre" model is it has a source selector knob and you hook your other sources to the benchmark and then hook the benchmark to your amp. Your benchmark becomes your pre-amp AND your DAC. But this model still requires manual volume adjustment.

The next model up, the "hdr" is basically the "pre" model but with a remote control.

A

Anonymous

You have misinterpreted what I have said gerrard and I didn't explain myself clearly enough. Those that have both, commented that in terms of the quality of the dac, there was little to seperate them but in the pre amp qualities and headphone amp capabilities, they saw this as being much more noticable. Therefore they decided to sell their Beresford Caiman for the Benmark HDR.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts