Beginners set up with good looks and sound

Nick99

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I'm looking for some advice to start a system build from scratch.

I've just moved house and want to put in a system that looks good and works well. It will sit visibly in the lounge on top of a sideboard style unit.

I'm thinking a valve amp (mainly because I like the look) turn table and speakers. Ideally with an input from iPad/phone via wifi or jack plug to stream music and radio. If I could run wifi connected speakers in other rooms that would be a bonus but not essential.

I don't really want big speakers and I have enough room for stands. The loung is about 23 x 15 so a reasonable size.

Ideal budget would be circa £1,000 but could go up to £1,500.

Any advice gratefully received.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Nick99 said:
Hi, I'm looking for some advice to start a system build from scratch.

I've just moved house and want to put in a system that looks good and works well. It will sit visibly in the lounge on top of a sideboard style unit.

I'm thinking a valve amp (mainly because I like the look) turn table and speakers. Ideally with an input from iPad/phone via wifi or jack plug to stream music and radio. If I could run wifi connected speakers in other rooms that would be a bonus but not essential.

I don't really want big speakers and I have enough room for stands. The loung is about 23 x 15 so a reasonable size.

Ideal budget would be circa £1,000 but could go up to £1,500.

Any advice gratefully received.

You haven't even tried to research any of this yourself, have you? just kind if fired off a fairly random wish list?

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Welcome, Nick!

I'll put it straight: your wishlist is not compatible with your budget, IMO not even if you go second hand (and second hand is risky for valves and TTs, if you're new to the game).

Think again what you really need (or want). If you go solid state and drop the TT (which can be added later, funds permitting), you have more of a chance we'll get you started.

Try again!

EDIT: this Aune T1 USB-DAC into a pair of active speakers might have come closest to what you look for. But it's no longer for sale apparently...

To be clear: it's not a valve amp. It's a valve DAC, with a solid state headphone amp. But it has the looks...

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Know what? The Aune T1 is still available here, for €179 (about £125) + shipping, I suppose.

Add a here (link in Dutch, sorry).

Gives you a valve to look at, streaming and access from your phone, a volume knob, and a pair of speakers with built-in amplification. And it should be within budget.

Not exactly what you asked for, but as close as I can think of...

You noticed the major drawback of this proposition: no demo option; you'll have to buy everything blind. And no after-sales service.

And you'll have a lot of wires, that need tidying up.

And once again: not a valve amp, just a valve-USB-DAC.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
paulkebab said:
go to Richer Sounds and let them sort it but don't expect too much for £1500.

Don't expect much for £1500? Wow.

Roksan Kandy with bluetooth for streaming £600, Rega RP1 £250 - nice starter deck. Dali Zensor 3's @ £300. That leaves around £400 for cables and stands which is more than enough. Spend what's left on records. That set up would sound really really good and also be aesthetically pleasing.

gasolin

Nad D3020 Q acosutics 2050i (good sensitivity) rega or project turnttable and a cambride audio,nad phono stage you can have for les the 70-80£ cable mabye som qed.

The amp you can use for bluetooth steraming (phone,laptop,tablet)

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
MI Tube amp would cut the visual mustard, not heard it but looks good, gets good reviews and under £200. This could power some larger speakers than the bookshelf type which I just can't live with. All down to the OP's ears.

As mentioned try Superfi too.

Fulci

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
A Peachtree Audio Nova65SE for £700, a Rega RP1 and whatever remains on some Rega RS1 speakers if you find a good deal, or whatever the flavour of the month for budget speakers seem to be around here (maybe Dali Zensor 3 or Q Acoustics something).

http://www.peachtreeaudio.com/nova65se-amplifier-with-dac.html

Valve amplifier, DAC, bluetooth and headphone out. Good looking too...

Fulci

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Or a Quad Vena with their own new speakers for £1200 and the rest on the turntable.

I wouldn't call the Roksan Kandy a good looking amplifier... at all... it's bloody headious...

I'm kind of a cheapstake so I make my own cables. If you can solder you should make your own and save a few hundred quid...

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Fulci said:
Or a Quad Vena with their own new speakers for £1200 and the rest on the turntable.

I wouldn't call the Roksan Kandy a good looking amplifier... at all... it's bloody headious...

I'm kind of a cheapstake so I make my own cables. If you can solder you should make your own and save a few hundred quid...

Headious??....

I like them

TRENDING THREADS