Hey All!

Newbie here. Just put the deposit down on a place with my Girlfriend and our first priority (naturally) is to secure the best hi-fi system we can for the budget!

New to the Hi-Fi game so looking for all the advice I can get :) We are looking for a complete system with a budget of ideally less than £2k (but with a push upto 2.5 if there is going to be a considerable benefit).

I'll try to answer some of the common questions I've seen after browsing the forums (quite a bit) but happy to provide any more info which helps us find the best system!

So the question is - with the below specs and budget - what is the best system we can get?

The Music
We love our bassy music - drum & bass, tech house & the odd bit of techno - while also a lot of the time keeping things a bit more chilled with more "lounge beats/hip-hop" styled music - think blockhead, bonobo etc. Other ends of the spectrum would include anything from the broad "experimental electronic" outfit (any ninja tune, hidden orchestra, amon tobin etc) to other contemporary areas. Not looking for a tearing bassy system but one which will complement these different styles with a solid bass.

The Space
The main room where music will be played and listened to is a 35sqm room with double-height ceiling. The back of this room leads (half open plan) into separate kitchen and dining rooms. Above these spaces is an open mezzanine (hence the double height ceiling). The floors are all wooden.

The Source
We mostly stream digital music (more often than not via Spotify). I can't forsee any near future plans to have turntables or any other analogue source.

All advice is greatly appreciated. I'd really like to learn about putting together the best system rather than come here asking someone to choose for me! Tips on anything from what components to look at, how to match amp/speakers to anything like optimum room layout/treatment (for example saw that with wooden floors should look to get a big rug??) would be lovely. Would be great if someone could specify the exact minimum set of requirements. Ie. do we *need* a DAC?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
You are in serious need of a compedent dealer.

It is quite clear from your post that this is all pretty new to you, so you need to hear what different equipment does and what is best suited to you. A competent dealer should be able to take you through all that.

It is more important to have a setup that works for you, from a dealer who will take time to get it right both before and after the sale, this is far more important than any specific brands etc.

Having said that, I am going to throw the cat among the pidgeons by suggesting that, given your musical tastes, by far the best value would come from a pair of active studio monitors and a decent streamer/pre-amp such as the Cambridge Stream Magic 6 or CXN.

Either of those combined with a pair of Adam A8x monitors would leave most conventional systems floundering in terms of bass power and punch, critical for the kind of music you play.

Hi there Chris.your right about the large rug for the wooden floors and some curtains if possible,to dampen the sound in the room, there's plenty of kit to choose from in your price range,but if you're going down the streaming route,I'd suggest you keep it simple,too many boxes is going to eat that cash up quickly,not to mention cables and kit racks etc.For a good wee starter,I'd look at a Naim unitiqute 2 with speakers in the £600-£800 price range ''kef ls50,focal aria 906 or if you want floorstanders then maybe tannoy Revolution xt6f's,a bit more expensive but should squeeze into your budget .the little Naim has a streamer,dac and amp all built into one dinky little box,with possible future upgrades for power amp and external dac and don't let the 30 watts per channel put you off,naim watts are powerful.it's definitely worth an audition.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Have a look on auction sites also. Then you can get more for your money.

Sounds like you have a decent space so id look at good floor standers for a start and a good amp with possibly a built in dac but a dac magic can also be had for cheap

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
+1 for Dave DC's suggestion about mating a decent pair of actives with a streaming solution. The clutter of separate boxes will do nothing for you but facilitate the connection of multiple sources that you aren't going to use, so it seems by far the most cost effective route given the sound you're after. But above all, do find somewhere where you can listen to something and judge for yourself.

Hey guys cheers for the replies! Some insightful stuff.

I definitely will be wanting to visit a dealer or 2 before I make a decision. I was hoping to get an early indication and bit of knowledge on what works for people in general.

Interesting about the active monitor idea. I considered that briefly but didn't pursue it as I guess I just got the idea that a floorstanding system would just be better in the space somehow. (Ie. active monitors are quite targeted to a single point rather than aiming to fill a room afaik)

If that is what will work best for my budget and taste I am happy to pursue a CXN + active monitor route.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Actives are a better design, no passive crossovers plus amps matched to each tweeter and woofer, that isn't to say all actives are better, there are good and bad in both. All things being equal the active design is typically better and quite often better value.

I've got a pair of Event Opals I'm delighted with and ideal for your tastes, I managed to get mine for. £1,800 with some haggling with cables thrown in.

Add a streaming of choice with preamp functionality (ideally with XLR out but not a deal breaker) some solid stands and you'll have a fine system.

Hana

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Hmm...I'm thinking maybe you can take a look at my products, some are entry-level, great for the beginners (financially, physically, spiritually) ╮(╯▽╰)╭but i'm not posting an ad here, if you are interested you can find clues about me and my employer, lol

BTW welcome to the WHF forum! Though I'm just an older newbie
shades_smile.gif

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
bluedroog said:
Actives are a better design, no passive crossovers plus amps matched to each tweeter and woofer, that isn't to say all actives are better, there are good and bad in both. All things being equal the active design is typically better and quite often better value.

I've got a pair of Event Opals I'm delighted with and ideal for your tastes, I managed to get mine for. £1,800 with some haggling with cables thrown in.

Add a streaming of choice with preamp functionality (ideally with XLR out but not a deal breaker) some solid stands and you'll have a fine system.

This is a truly outstanding solution, particularly given the op's musical taste.

£1800 is a very good price indeed, not sure if that will be easily matched, thet are usually £2k +.

At a lower price the Adam A8x will give your most (but not all) of what you will get from the Opals for around the £1k mark, add a CXN streamer, stands and cables and you are still well under £2k.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:
bluedroog said:

This is a truly outstanding solution, particularly given the op's musical taste.

£1800 is a very good price indeed, not sure if that will be easily matched, thet are usually £2k +.

At a lower price the Adam A8x will give your most (but not all) of what you will get from the Opals for around the £1k mark, add a CXN streamer, stands and cables and you are still well under £2k.

Another vote for Dave's suggestion. Definitely Opals if you can squeeze them into your budget. I'm sure the A8Xs sound great too, although I've only heard the A5X and A7X. Conflict of interest disclosure: As I own a pair of Adam A7X I'm rather fond of them and the brand.

rainsoothe

Andrewjvt said:
Have a look on auction sites also. Then you can get more for your money.

Sounds like you have a decent space so id look at good floor standers for a start and a good amp with possibly a built in dac but a dac magic can also be had for cheap

+1 to this.

But also for new, you should consider Naim - they're amazing with this type of music (imo), and their bass performance, and rhythm is what they're particularly known for. If you can find used or ex-dem Naim Nait XS2 or Supernait 1 (which also has a good DAC (no usb though)) would be great for your needs. Partner them with Martin Logan Motion 40 or 20, Sonus Faber Toy Tower, Tannoy XT6F or even Kef R500 or R700 and you'll have yourself a crackying system. Oh, and add a laptop or Onkyo C-N7050 for streaming and CD playback (use it with Supernait's DAC, or add an Arcam iRdac if you find a Nait XS2)

If you go for new, maybe you can find a good deal on a Naim Unitilite, or Onkyo C-N7050 + Hegel H80 (and use the DAC in the Hegel for sound processing) + Any of the afforementioned speakers.

Your speaker shortlist should contain at least:

- Sonus Faber Toy Tower (these are out of production I think, but some dealers might still have some stocked)

- Martin Logan Motion 40 (or 20 if the 40 are out of budget) - these are amazing speakers with great juicy bass

- Tannoy XT6F

- Kef R700 (or R500) - these are for a more polite, refined sound - but still engaging

- B&W 683s2 ('cause B&W should be on everyone's shortlists)

- XTZ 99.36 FLR ('cause XTZ are the best value for money products I heard; there are usually no dealers for these products, it's an online company, but you can return them for full refund if you don't like them in two weeks). For the money, these are amazing, they would cost way more if they were retail and not bought directly from producer.

If it were me, I would go for either the Sonus Fabers, Martin Logans or XTZs + either of the electronics I mentioned. Of course you could also consider Hegel H160, which also has streaming capabilities, but it's more expensive then H80 + the Onkyo (cleaner though).

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Leaving active aside for a moment ... Hegel is 'Golden Balls' on this forum at present but their H160 is above your budget with decent speakers.

There are other Networking/Steaming solutions from Cyrus (Lyric) and Naim etc.

Numerous actives, from Elac, AVI to the more studio orientated products, some of which look a bit hairshirt erm, sorry ... industrial and purposeful.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
daveh75 said:
Mackie HR824 mk2...

Good choice if maximum output level and bass response is a requirement.

A little less refined than the comparably priced A8x, the HR824 are probably the ultimate party speaker around this price level.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I do think the CXN is a bit of an extravagance. As you are streaming from online services, why not an Apple device (iPod/iPad) and an Airport Express into a decent pair of actives. Or even a Sonos Connect into actives. It already has Spotify and other services and Apple Music on it's way.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
richardw42 said:
I do think the CXN is a bit of an extravagance. As you are streaming from online services, why not an Apple device (iPod/iPad) and an Airport Express into a decent pair of actives. Or even a Sonos Connect into actives. It already has Spotify and other services and Apple Music on it's way.

Pricewise I think I agree, stupid pricing.

But functionally it is one of the few devices that does everything you need, network streaming, Spotify Connect, internet radio, Airplay, built in dac, pre-amp functions, balanced outs etc. Plus the benefits of a fully wired setup for critical listening.

Nothing else ticks all the boxes, sure AEXs, ATVs and Android devices are cheap but many are digital out only, so you need a dac, even more so if you use more than one source. Remote control dac/preamps, the best solution for driving actives are not cheap either.

Sure using an AEX analogue out into active monitors will work, within the constraints of you wi-fi setup, but has no real flexibility, you have to run everything on your mobile device and live with the battery drain.

What would I be getting for the money? There's quite a price difference between the a8x and the opals. I've heard many superb things about the opals as a monitoring solution but wondering if it's worth the extra £800 (seen dv247 is selling the opals 909 each).

Was just wondering if someone could clear this up for me. As said in this thread active monitors are "better designs" and therefore you just get better value. Why is it that people therefore go for other solutions? Does it come down to the music taste (Eg is it that I'm after that punch whereas other types of speakers will not deliver that?)

For a temporary streaming solution we would be quite happy to use a laptop or other similar device we have lying around. If we went for this what kind of intermediate connection do we need between the laptop and the speakers?

Also are there any defining factors I should be looking at when buying speaker stands?

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Christopher Pearce said:
What would I be getting for the money? There's quite a price difference between the a8x and the opals. I've heard many superb things about the opals as a monitoring solution but wondering if it's worth the extra £800 (seen dv247 is selling the opals 909 each).

Was just wondering if someone could clear this up for me. As said in this thread active monitors are "better designs" and therefore you just get better value. Why is it that people therefore go for other solutions? Does it come down to the music taste (Eg is it that I'm after that punch whereas other types of speakers will not deliver that?)

Yes the opals are worth the difference over the adam imo.,more power,more accurate,better quality?,all measurable things.Good studio equipment isn´t cheap.But only you can decide if it is worth.

A flat response and neutral sound is not everybodies cup of tea but the main intention of studio monitors.Also "normal" speakers look usually more likeable and some are made like a piece of art.You won´t find that in studio equipment which are "tools".

I would not say active monitors are better design in general.If it sounds good it sounds good and if not then not weather an active or passive system.If it sounds good is a very subjective and individual opinion.Thats why there is a lot of stuff to choose from.

If you want just stream from your laptop then you have to look which audio outputs it offers.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Christopher Pearce said:
For a temporary streaming solution we would be quite happy to use a laptop or other similar device we have lying around. If we went for this what kind of intermediate connection do we need between the laptop and the speakers?

Also are there any defining factors I should be looking at when buying speaker stands?

if your laptop has Bluetooth you could just use a Bluetooth receiver, otherwise an Airport Express or Apple TV. YOU COULD HAVE A LOOK AT AVRs such as the Marantz NR1504 or similar, many will have Spotify Connect & Airplay. If you went went the AVR route you will have a sub out, so you could go for smaller speaker (eg AVI DM5) and add a subwoofer.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
+1 for dave´s solution if you want to max out your budget and the system fits to your room.

Imo. for your taste of music and needs an musical AVR with a lot of power like e.x. the Pioneer LX57 which can be had for a lot less than the Cambridge Streamer (which is new) and a pair of Dali Zensor 3 could do the job for around 1k too.You could always add 2 more pair of speakers for other rooms(maybe upgrade your speakers in future and put the others to the second room),add a sub if you need more bass and would have all the connectivity you will need maybe in future.Also room/phase/standing wave correction and EQ is nice to have if your room is not optimal.You could also use an AVR with active speakers.

rainsoothe

Esra said:
A flat response and neutral sound is not everybodies cup of tea but the main intention of studio monitors. 

+1 - do try to audition. Usually, vfm is best with studio gear, and something like combining CXN with Adam monitors should be great (although this particular combo might sound too clinical).

So I guess my point is try to audition. I found it's the best thing to do.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
There is a lot of boll**ks talked about studio monitors, too clinical, only for use in the nearfield etc.

At the end of the day they are simply a pair of speakers with properly matched amplifiers and as such subject to the usual cost vs performance criterea.

However, compared to comparitively priced hi-fi combinations, the active option usually wins in terms of clarity, deeper more controlled bass, better dynamics and a sense of real presence. Conventional hi-fi options tend to be warmer, smoother and often more relaxing, you pay your money........!

The Adam A8x is a cracking amp/speaker combination for around £1k, spend nearly double that on the Opals and you simply get more performance, bigger box, more power, deeper bass etc, etc.

It is just like hi-fi, spend more (choose wisely) and it sounds better, simple as that, sometimes the improvements are worth the difference in price sometimes not, it is up to you.

Thanks so much for the insight! Going to try and find a dealer with a couple of these monitors in stock and try hear for myself. With the active route it seems I'll have quite some flexibility with the source so will focus on getting the monitors right for now.

Anyone had any experience with the opal room eqing? My biggest worry at the moment is spending a decent wedge more on better speakers only for it to be rendered mostly irrelevant by room acoustics.

If only I could compare side by side in the very room!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts