Beatles remasters - any thoughts?

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
chebby:

Gerrardasnails: I just played Strawberry Fields, Yesterday and Paper Back Writer to the missus using old and new cds - both lossless through DAC. I didn't even need to ask her as she shouted it out that the difference was ridiculous

..........Well played Abbey Road.

Indeed. Paperback Writer is a knockout.

I bought the 'Love' CD today (because so many were banging on about the amazing quality so I thought I would try it), but I was not as impressed as i thought I was going to be. Very affected and a bit unreal. Technologically interesting and very 'hifi', but - apart from a few moments - not really my thing. As far as I am concerned the score (from just what I have bought) is Allan Rouse & team 6, George & Giles Martin 1/2.

A totally unfair and meaningless 'score' of course. (Before any 'Love' CD fans get too upset.)

I may take it back tomorrow and try and exchange it. Feign ignorance and say I bought it by mistake.

I found that I had to listen to it 2 or 3 times to get into it as I was unsure the first time round. Love it now though (if you'll pardon the pun).

But hey, everyone to his own I say.

T

the record spot

Still fighting the urge to splurge £200 on the mono box...

unfocused

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
the record spot:Still fighting the urge to splurge £200 on the mono box... Resistance is futile !! These are suppose to be limited so even if you don't want to keep it (which you will after listening to it) if you hang onto it for a couple of years you'll get your money back from eBay!!

A

Anonymous

the record spot:Still fighting the urge to splurge £200 on the mono box...

Me too!
emotion-11.gif

T

the record spot

Word is, EMI are producing more of both boxes, however the mono box ships from Japan (probably accounts for the higher costs in some small way), but even so and even with a new 0% c/c to hand, my wife will pretty much wrap the box round my neck if I get it. Might be a treat for me if I get one of the jobs I'm going for in the next week or two...!

(Admittedly, getting the Sansui amp (in the signature line below) for £30-odd is one thing, walking in the door with a boxset of CDs at £200 is probably grounds for divorce!)

T

the record spot

Clare Newsome:

So, while I can't see us running a specific group test just based on a player's ability with SACD, we will highlight SACD performance of capable players, so if that matters to you, you know what the best buys are for your budget.
There may, for example, be a player that's a four-star player as an all-rounder - maybe due to pricing, say - but would be perfect for SACD fans as it excels in that area.

Sounds like a plan! Thanks for that.
emotion-1.gif

matthewpiano

For me its individual discs. I just cannot afford to buy either of the box sets. Its too much in one go with all the fabulous classical releases coming out at the moment as well (Rattle's Brahms Symphonies, Pappano's Verdi Requiem etc.)

I've got 5 for now - Abbey Road, Rubber Soul, Revolver, Magical Mystery Tour, and Sgt. Pepper. Listening to 'Abbey Road' now and it sounds absolutely fabulous. Light years ahead of the 1987 CD release.

Great to hear all these wonderful songs in top notch sound.

Greenwich_Man

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
the record spot:Just bought Revolver from HMV in Edinburgh, sounds pretty nice. .... Nearly bought the Mono box, but at £199 and no job currently, ....

Sorry about the job mate - hope you get something soon - I managed to get something after a few months ... Glad you're enjoying Revolver.

I'm away at the moment (That's bad timing on my part) - will hear my copies of "With the Beatles" and "Abbey Road" when I get home - told my pal who is house sitting that he can open them and listen...

A

Anonymous

Interesting on the SACD front - I'd been completely put off because of the scale of the catalogue - might have been 'curious' if they were going to put the Beatles RM's on that format.

Can't help but think though - would SACD really sound better than my Chord QBD76 playing lossless???

T

the record spot

Greenwich_Man:
the record spot:Just bought Revolver from HMV in Edinburgh, sounds pretty nice. .... Nearly bought the Mono box, but at £199 and no job currently, ....

Sorry about the job mate - hope you get something soon - I managed to get something after a few months ... Glad you're enjoying Revolver.

Thanks, fingers crossed - I'm in the running for a couple of IT related things, hope to find out in the next week or two. Plenty of music to listen to and the new Sansui (well, new to me) is giving a good account of itself. Makes the job application process (i.e., it's all online these days!) more interesting to get through.

Greenwich_Man

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
Hope that goes well for you Record Spot - used to be in IT myself (database developing) - but 'cos of health just do admin now. I now work in a London Jobcentre seeing unemployed folks - hope the ones you see are are decent to you.

Arrived back home tonight - and found that "With the Beatles" is stuck in the NAD CD player - draw wont open - happended once before - had to open it up and fiddle to get the draw open and close again - hope I get it sorted again.

Anyway will listen to it tomorrow

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts