BBC makes changes to its internet radio streams

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Reposting my comment on that article:

Just to clarify, Sonos users CAN access the BBC's mp3 streams of all stations but if you have a favourite still pointing to the old WMA streams they need to be removed and the favourite added back in. The problem with the mp3 streams is that they are international feeds and therefore do not carry any sports commentary due to regional licensing issues. There is currently no workaround for this on Sonos, they are discussing the issue with Tunein. It is unknown at this time whether the current Sonos hardware can support HLS, HDS and DASH (Linn apparently are not supporting HLS as it's a licensed technology).

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Interesting, when I tried all the BBC stations on my Sonos system at home last night using TuneIn direct (not via stored Favourites), they all worked apart from 5 Live.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Andy Clough said:
Interesting, when I tried all the BBC stations on my Sonos system at home last night using TuneIn direct (not via stored Favourites), they all worked apart from 5 Live.

At a guess was 5 Live broadcasting commentary from the PNE-ManU match last night? That wouldn't be broadcast on the international mp3 streams.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Any excuse to knock off early
wink_smile.gif

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Always knew they'd start pulling the carpet from under our feet after some people have already invested in digital radio technology. Pass me my good old FM tuner (til one day they turn that off as well).

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Always knew they'd start pulling the carpet from under our feet after some people have already invested in digital radio technology.  Pass me my good old FM tuner (til one day they turn that off as well).
What are you on about? This is internet radio, not dab.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
MajorFubar said:
Always knew they'd start pulling the carpet from under our feet after some people have already invested in digital radio technology. Pass me my good old FM tuner (til one day they turn that off as well).

*ROFL*

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
MajorFubar said:

As the BBC never ceases to remind us, there are rather more ways of receiving digital radio than just DAB, and this current mess is annoying more than a few people who have invested in equipment able to receive radio broadcasts over the Internet.

I'm with MajFub on this one (and I never thought I'd see myself typing that!).

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Very interesting statement from Naim, which (like quite a few manufacturers) was caught out by the way some of the changes were implemented by the BBC. I've added the full text of Naim's reply to the end of our news story.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
spiny norman said:
The_Lhc said:
MajorFubar said:

As the BBC never ceases to remind us, there are rather more ways of receiving digital radio than just DAB, and this current mess is annoying more than a few people who have invested in equipment able to receive radio broadcasts over the Internet.

No it isn't, these changes ONLY affect internet radio, they have ZERO effect on DAB or FM tuners.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
No it isn't, these changes ONLY affect internet radio, they have ZERO effect on DAB or FM tuners.

You're right, of course, although always being so must be something of a burden for you at times. However, I wasn't talking about DAB or FM tuners, only pointing out that when you pounced on MajFub for saying

MajorFubar said:
after some people have already invested in digital radio technology

you automatically assumed DAB radio was meant.

I was merely clarifying that not everyone receiving digital radio is doing so via DAB: many receive it via Internet radio streams, for example – it's 'Internet radio' for a reason, you know! – and those users are most definitely affected by these changes.

PS No need to SHOUT.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I only access BBC internet radio via it's own iPlayer Radio app on my iOS devices (then AirPlay if listening via the hi-fi).

Every single BBC 'station' (including local) is fine.

Still, the BBC should have had much more publicity (for much longer) on all of their stations to let people know.

Listenership figures for their major stations are around 10 - 11 million each for Radio 1 and Radio 4 up to 15 million for Radio 2. (RAJAR Q4 2014 figures for whole UK pupulation aged 15+)

'Online listening' has risen to 16 percent of all digital listening (up 5 percent on previous year) or 62 million listener hours per week. It's not huge compared to DAB (257 million listener hours per week) but it's still an important population and getting bigger. (And it's more techno-savvy and more likely to 'make a noise' all over the web and social media.)

cleggton

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
This also seems to affect sqeezebox users using Triode's BBC iPlayer plugin for both live and play again streams.

Looking above, it seems like Naim, Squeezebox, Pioneer, Denon at a minimum. Who have the BBC spoken too?

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
My CR603 lost the BBC stations. All I had to do though was delete them from 'Favourites', search for them again and register back in to the Favourites list. All OK now.

Rich

dfa2124

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
If you want to restore normality to BBC radio on your hi-fi streamer/internet radio then please sign this petition:

https://www.change.org/p/the-bbc-trust-and-the-bbc-director-general-restore-aac-audio-and-listen-again-indefinitely-for-internet-radio-devices-2

The BBC need to be told that the listener comes first.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Something they appear to have added to their new streams is digital rights. I used to listen to the football on a Saturday afternoon on my Naim UnitiQute but since switching to the new version of the channel it just repeats a message over and over at 3pm - "Due to copyright issues, this content can no longer be streamed over the internet. Go to the BBC website to listen", but then I have to do that on PC.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
How about just using the BBC's own iPlayer Radio app from your iOS/Android device using Bluetooth/AirPlay.

I've always done this because it's better than the built-in (Vtuner) internet radio. YMMV.

The Fat Priest

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Radio 4 seems to have got a problem again. It is broadcasting a message saying that the audio format has changed and its listen again functionality is not compatible with my device. Even though I am trying to listen live. And all the other BBC stations are working properly.

I sent them an email.

Phillip

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts