bbc iplayer

A

Anonymous

Simply connect the speaker output from your pc to an input on your hifi, you'll need a stereo 3.5mm jack to twin phono lead.

Some pc's are not good at minimising mains hum, so if you get buzzing you'll need an inline surpressor.

However depsite having a PC connected to my system, I use the BBC iPlayer on the Wii more often that not.

It came in handy today when I realised SKY+ didn't record the full grandprix when BBC swapped it to BBC2 half way through!!!!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Yes a 3.5mm jack ---> 2 x RCA phono lead is the simplest/cheapest way.

The next cheapest/easiest way is to use a simple USB DAC (like this one for £85) and just use it to bypass the internal soundcard on your laptop. This will offer much better quality than a simple lead.

However that one will only give you USB. You may prefer a DAC with USB and Optical so you can plug in a DVD/BluRay/PS3/SkyBox as well. Something like the The Musical Fidelity V-Dac (£140 - £155) will give you the flexibility of being able to extend digital connections to other devices besides the laptop.

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Sorry,but I'm lost. I don't have a soundcard in my computer, i don't think. Why can't i buy a simple internet tuner to run through the HIFI?

A

Anonymous

cse:Why can't i buy a simple internet tuner to run through the HIFI?

Because it does not exist...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Squeezebox touch.

Now on sale on UK Logitech site for £259. (Since yesterday I think)

Computer does not need to be on. You can use it wirelessly or connected to modem. Contains a decent DAC.

Or this (the only FM/DAB/Internet tuner I could find)...

http://www.teac.co.uk/products/reference-T-H380DNT.php

Or buy a Pure Evoke Flow (£150 and 5 WHF stars in latest issue) and use the 'stereo out' connection to your hifi.

Or...

No, that's me done.

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Obviously it depends if you have the capability, but I use my PS3 which has iplayer, or in the other room I hook up my laptop to the telly (hooked up to hi-fi) via HDMI.

Currently listening to: The Week That Was

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
cse:Thanks Chebby. I seem to be getting somewhere now. What exactly is the DAC for as I don't have music strored on my computer.

With the Squeezebox Touch/Teac tuner/Pure Evoke Flow options (in my previous post) you don't need to concern yourself with the DAC as all will have their own DAC built in, and all have straightforward analogue stereo connections to plug into your hifi.

Just for info though, a DAC is a Digital - Analogue Convertor and anything fed with a digital input needs one (whether it is built-in or seperate) to convert a digital bit-stream into an analogue signal.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts