BBC 4K iPlayer

Turnbacktime

Jun 26, 2016
Visit site
This might not be the right section for this but appreciate any feedback. Does anyone know which streaming sticks/devices or 4K Blu Ray players will support BBC’s 4K iPlayer.

My issue is that my 2016 Samsung KS7000 doesn’t support it and Samsung have said they won’t support it because the changes required to support the streaming standard used are too complex to be put back j to their 2016 TV’s. Although 2016 sets from likes of Panasonic and LG do support it. A pretty rubbish statement for such a recent set, it was only just a year old when this surfaced.

i am not at all satisfied with the KS but can’t afford to replace it at the moment so looking for a cheaper alternative. A lot if the device blurb mentions 4K, HDR and HLG but haven’t seen anything that specifically references iPlayer or the streaming mechanism it uses.

Geoff_W

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
Turnbacktime said:
This might not be the right section for this but appreciate any feedback. Does anyone know which streaming sticks/devices or 4K Blu Ray players will support BBC’s 4K iPlayer.

My issue is that my 2016 Samsung KS7000 doesn’t support it and Samsung have said they won’t support it because the changes required to support the streaming standard used are too complex to be put back j to their 2016 TV’s. Although 2016 sets from likes of Panasonic and LG do support it. A pretty rubbish statement for such a recent set, it was only just a year old when this surfaced.

i am not at all satisfied with the KS but can’t afford to replace it at the moment so looking for a cheaper alternative. A lot if the device blurb mentions 4K, HDR and HLG but haven’t seen anything that specifically references iPlayer or the streaming mechanism it uses.

You are not alone. There is quite a bit of discussion on AV Forums about various makes and models which cannot stream iPlayer in 4k UHD HLG such as Sony's Android-based TV's and some Pannies. Sony appear to be washing their hands of the problem whilst retailers like John Lewis are now displaying notices in their TV department stating that Smart TV apps are not included in the warranty. What's particularly annoying is that Sony's cheaper 7000 series range of TV's can handle the iPlayer in 4k HDR HLG but the more expensive sets (including some OLED's) cannot. Go figure!

Looks like we've all been duped, folks.

con obrien

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
I managed to receive the BBC UHD stream for the Egypt v Uruguay Game. Very good, apart from loss at a few intervals through the 90 minutes as I only have approximately 28mbps through Sky Broadband.

con obrien

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Watched the Portugal v Spain game tonight again on BBC UHD and had a few interruptions, then finally gave up the ghost just before half time with the message that my internet connection was faulty. Watched the 2nd half on BBC 1 HD.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I have an ultrafast Virgin pipe and watched a number of games now on the Beta iplayer in UHD.

I have caused a little stir on an other tech forum when I posted my findings :) however, I am not alone in finding the streams are not perfect.

I have not experienced much buffering, perhaps three times all together for a few seconds in the four or five games I have watched. - I have however experienced audio drop-outs repeatedly in one game.

Now to quality. Whilst detail, sharpness and clarity is impressive, Gamma handling and occasionally white balance are less so.

Whilst I first thought it could be my TV, quite a few comments from others convinced me it isn't. - I have no problem with any content from sources other than the Beeb iplayer in UHD. - There are folks with Samsung Q9FN's which find the pictures unnaturally dark and lacking vibrancy. Now the the Q9FN may not be perfect but brightness, colour and contrast it does not lack.

I have the broadcasts found to be a bit dull and lifeless. I am all for a natural picture but these HLG broadcasts have, to my mind, taken a step in the wrong direction.

They just don't 'pop'. By that I don't mean the exhaggerated everything in the usual Dynamic or shop modes but just a prevailing dullness which I find unnatural. - This was/is especially obvious in studio scenes where F Ferdinand's and the spanish geezers hair seems a washed out black, almost grey with unnatural dark patches in it ... a gamma issue. - The whole studio scene just seems to have a haze which robs it of colour and vibrance. - Switch to even the ITV HD stream and things may loose sharpness/detail but it is in some ways more pleasing (to these) eyes.

Like I said, I have no issues with any other sources and my TV, a Samsung Q7 does normally amazing colours. - Contrast is not OLED like but its good for an LED/LCD and Youtube and UHD movies look amazing, unlike these BBC trials.

Occasionally, when the pitch lighting is just right, it looks good. Many times it doesn't.

For me, there are many things that make up a good picture. Sharpness and detail is only part of it and for me, the UHD streams so far fail.

If I can make a comparison (as I did on the other forum) perhaps compare how a Leica camera with Leica Glass renders a picture in comparison with a high tech Sony cam. One is all about resolution but somewhat cold and lifeless (before alteration) the other makes beautiful pictures as is.

To sum it up, for me the BBC UHD trial is the Sony.

Geoff_W

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
I note that some of Sony's 2018 Android-based models have appeared on the BBC iPlayer compatibilty list, such as the KD-43XF8796. If Sony can get the iPlayer app to work on these TV's then there appears to be no valid reason it can't be rolled out to our 2017 models - they even use the same 4k UHD Processor X1 engine for Heaven's sake!

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Geoff_W said:
I note that some of Sony's 2018 Android-based models have appeared on the BBC iPlayer compatibilty list, such as the KD-43XF8796. If Sony can get the iPlayer app to work on these TV's then there appears to be no valid reason it can't be rolled out to our 2017 models - they even use the same 4k UHD Processor X1 engine for Heaven's sake!
Same equestion I have been asking. Why would some of the flagship tv sets not get HLG is beyond me. I just ordered myself a Roku plus stick today, but not even sure it will work through USB on my XE93.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Series1boy said:
Tried it on my LG 4k lcd, and it’s too dark on iPlayer UHD. Better on SkyQ in 1080p!
Said this Long time ago, but I personally think most UHD HDR disc are mastered for very high nits capable TV sets and look too dark on current tv sets. At least for once we can now say Hardware needs to catch up with software.

Geoff_W

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
Perhaps a glimmer of hope?

I had a reply from Sony Support regarding this issue and I quote part of the reply below.

".... Furthermore, the previous firmware update released a feature to make your TV ready to play content in 4K UHD and HDR using the BBC iPlayer application. This still holds true as your TV is able to do this. However, your TV is unable to play the World Cup Live streaming trial in 4K UHD and HDR with the BBC iPlayer application. We are currently working with our Engineers to make this feature available for future Live BBC streaming events."

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts