Basic questions

Loverobot

Jan 2, 2022
Visit site
I have been in the process of converting all of my music to FLAC and they are currently all on a hard drive. This was primarily because I wanted to put them onto a portable DAP.

What's the best way of being able to access all of that music and play it through my hi-fi system at home? I'd preferably want to be able to control it via my iphone and then output it to my amplifier? I was thinking I might need to buy something like a CXN v2 but I don't know if that would be overkill because I don't really want to stream from tidal et cetera- I just want access to my digitised CD collection currently on the hard drive?

Is there anyway of being able to access that in the same way that the DAP would e.g. creating playlists and running lists on-the-fly?

I have been in the process of converting all of my music to FLAC and they are currently all on a hard drive. This was primarily because I wanted to put them onto a portable DAP.

What's the best way of being able to access all of that music and play it through my hi-fi system at home? I'd preferably want to be able to control it via my iphone and then output it to my amplifier? I was thinking I might need to buy something like a CXN v2 but I don't know if that would be overkill because I don't really want to stream from tidal et cetera- I just want access to my digitised CD collection currently on the hard drive?

Is there anyway of being able to access that in the same way that the DAP would e.g. creating playlists and running lists on-the-fly?
Perhaps add the hard drive to a NAS device?
What is your amplifier?
If it is all going into a DAP at some point cannot you attach that to your amplifier?
That said I use a solid state hard drive attached to my Oppo universal disc player using the Oppo app on my phone as control.

Loverobot

Jan 2, 2022
Visit site
Perhaps add the hard drive to a NAS device?
What is your amplifier?
If it is all going into a DAP at some point cannot you attach that to your amplifier?
That said I use a solid state hard drive attached to my Oppo universal disc player using the Oppo app on my phone as control.

I could use the dap but I wouldn't be able to control it remotely via my phone/tablet/PC and therefore it wouldn't be much more used to me than accessing the CDs directly. It's the being able to control remotely that really interests me; my amp is a CXA81 so at the moment only has a front USB port. It doesn't really work very well because it's clumsy when you've got loads of folders.

In short I'm wanting to replicate how my dap works but controlled remotely.

I looked at the CXN version 2 but that seems more geared to streaming spotify and tidal / online

Vincent Kars

Zillions of CDs using EAC hence FLAC
I see, you are not converting but ripping

I could use the dap but I wouldn't be able to control it remotely via my phone/tablet/PC
Depends.
A lot of DAP's run Android and allow you to install software.
If you install a UPnP server, you can remotely control it.
Have a look at BubbleUPnP

CXN v2 but I don't know if that would be overkill

It most of all depends on the quality of the DAC.
This is one of the cheap solutions known to me: Yamaha MusicCast WXAD-10

Plenty of offerings based on the Pi: https://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/HW/RaspberryPi.htm

Personally I don't like streaming, I prefer direct playback. One of the reasons is I'm using custom tags.
I have a PC with a big screen (love to have a good overview). It is couple to a DAC (the veteran Benchmark DAC1). It serves as my pre-amp having both a good headphone out and a balanced line out to my mono blocks.

Audio stored on a USB HD connected to my router.
It is accessible over SMB (file sharing, you need that to maintain the collection) and if needed, UPnP can be activated as well.
One of the many many many ways to Roma :)

Loverobot

Jan 2, 2022
Visit site
And wasn't it fun?
I only did around a 1000.

Sounds like you wouldn't even need a separate DAC....USB from Pi to your CXA81.
HDD plugs into a one of the 4 Pi USB ports.
Its was terrible - made worse by the fact I messed up the tagging on the first 300 or so, plus the fact I still havent finished and am probably about 1/3rd of the way through. I have a lot

The PI thing is a totally new one on me and looks like a bit of a project - is there anywhere you could recommend an idiots guide?!

Loverobot

Jan 2, 2022
Visit site
I see, you are not converting but ripping

Depends.
A lot of DAP's run Android and allow you to install software.
If you install a UPnP server, you can remotely control it.
Have a look at BubbleUPnP

It most of all depends on the quality of the DAC.
This is one of the cheap solutions known to me: Yamaha MusicCast WXAD-10

Plenty of offerings based on the Pi: https://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/HW/RaspberryPi.htm

Personally I don't like streaming, I prefer direct playback. One of the reasons is I'm using custom tags.
I have a PC with a big screen (love to have a good overview). It is couple to a DAC (the veteran Benchmark DAC1). It serves as my pre-amp having both a good headphone out and a balanced line out to my mono blocks.

Audio stored on a USB HD connected to my router.
It is accessible over SMB (file sharing, you need that to maintain the collection) and if needed, UPnP can be activated as well.
One of the many many many ways to Roma :)

Thanks
Just starting digging into that link and it looks like it is the 'idiots guide' - thanks for that and I will have a good look and see whats best
Might need to start a sub forum for the questions I am bound to have lol

Gray

Its was terrible - made worse by the fact I messed up the tagging on the first 300 or so, plus the fact I still havent finished and am probably about 1/3rd of the way through. I have a lot

The PI thing is a totally new one on me and looks like a bit of a project - is there anywhere you could recommend an idiots guide?!
Funny, I was actually going to say I hope you did the tagging how you wanted it 🙂
Yes, CD ripping is a bit of a chore, but a hell of a lot easier than getting vinyl properly digitised into pop / crackle free tracks 😢

After ripping I was considering my playing options. It was around the time the CXN first appeared. I've always liked the look of that, but could never bring myself to pay the price.
Someone on this forum mentioned the RPi option, which I thought looked like a bit too much of a geeky faff. But don't let such thoughts put you off.
If you can flash an SD card (and I'd never previously touched one in my life) then all the rest will be no problem for you.
There are other operating systems, but Volumio is free and great - controllable by your phone / tablet / laptop.
They've just bought out version 3, but I'm still OK with version 2 (which can still be downloaded).
The Volumio website gives a step-by-step guide on what to do.....SD card goes in the Pi and away you go.
Best to go with a 3 amp PSU with the Pi and, if possible, use a HDD with its own PSU (though the Pi powers an SSD (in its own small, cheap caddy) for me.
I've got 2x Pi3b+, one for the hi-fi and one for a headphone rig. Pi4 is the current model.

shipworm-archaism-recede

Nov 29, 2021
Visit site
Another few options to consider depending on your preferences…

If you don't fancy getting involved in building your own Pi-based solution, you might consider the WiiM Mini. It's cheap and works out of the box. You would either connect the AUX OUT or SPDIF directly to your amplifier using a DAC for the latter if your amp doesn't have one. I use the WiiM Mini to bring an old HiFi system into my AirPlay multi-room set up for streaming Apple Music. It works great as a streamer for me. Whilst I've never used it in this manner, you can mount a network share and create playlists etc from the accompanying WiiM Home iPhone app. I'm sure it isn't as sophisticated as Volumio in this regard, but might be enough for your needs.

If you are already an Apple user, you might also consider iTunes Match. This effectively puts your ripped collection onto iCloud for a small fee, but gives you the option to play it from all your Apple devices in the Music app anywhere you happen to be. You would then use AirPlay to send it to the WiiM mini (or any other AirPlay destination like the Musiccast device previously suggested or an Arylic). AirPlay only supports 24-bit/48kHz at the moment and everything gets transcoded to that. You'd have to verify for yourself that the 'matching' with Apple Music content satisfied your needs. I suppose this is the ultimate flexibility with regard to using your iPhone as a playback control device.

I stopped subscribing to iTunes Match a few years after ripping all my CDs, but the titles unavailable on Apple Music seem to be still there. I no longer buy CDs or any other physical media, I just stream everything nowadays because I want to minimise the amount of computer administration I need to do. I did flirt with the idea of the Pi approach, but paying <£100 with no extra effort instead seemed more attractive to me.

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site

I have converted my CDs and stored them on a Western Digital NAS. I play them on my Hi- system via the Sonos App where I can create playlists etc. For the music to reach the amp the NAS is plugged into my router also with a Sonos Bridge. A Sonos Connect is plugged into the amp. Through the Sonos app I can also play music from the NAS to my Sonos One and Play 1

I have gone the Sonos route. Sonos Bridge into router and Sonos Connect into amp fed from NAS or Amazon Music through the Sonos app.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts