Basic knowledge of surround sound

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I have moved home and need a new hi-fi. i have recently bought a sony HD1080p LCD so was thinking of a getting a bluray. Should i get a hi-fi and use as extra speakers for the TV (not surround i know!) or is there a surround system that can act as a good hi-fi, playing CDs through the blu-ray?

I know this is basic stuff but any info is very appreciated

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Welcome aboard.

It's the basic music/movies balance many users grapple with, so while basic it's also pretty fundamental.

In absolute terms, pound for pound, a dedicated stereo system is going to outperform a Blu-ray Disc player and AV receiver playing CDs, though as you say it won't give you surround.

But it kind of depends on how much you have to spend, what system if any you have now - ie what your expectations are - and how much you want surround sound.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the prompt reply Edward,

After a wee bit research using your excellent site, i think i would prefer to concentrate on the hi-fi and use this to "boost" the tv output - i have a budget of only £400 (though i have my eyes on a Home cinema reciever and speakers for hen i get a real job!) my sony is a 40v4000 can i plug this into a hi fi system and how will it balance out with the TVs speakers?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Edward can't come to the Forums right now...
emotion-2.gif

Given your budget and preferences, yes - go for a stereo amplifier.

Your TV's sound can be connected into the amp using conventional analogue interconnect cables from the L/R audio out into any line input (Tape, Aux, and so on) on the stereo amp.

Don't worry about balancing with the TV's speakers: turn them off (by turning the sound on the TV right down) and only use the speakers attached to the stereo amp, controlling the TV volume with the amp's control.

If you get a Blu-ray Disc player before you get the AV amp, do the same thing: connect its stereo audio outs into another line-in on the amp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts