BALANCE HELP

Truman

Dec 7, 2022
Visit site
Hi. I have a Marantz Pm6007 amp which when in the SOURCE DIRECT mode will not engage the balance knob. I am slightly off in my right ear meaning im off in "THE SWEET SPOT" BUT can tell the difference in the system when the SD button is on. This means my only other option is to have some sort of independent outboard Volume / Balance control running between my speaker OUT cable(s) before connecting to the speaker.

Is there such a board or box I can purchase to do this please?

Thanks in advance.

camcroft

On my Cambridge amp the Source Direct overrides all of my controls making it so to say that all the knobs would be in the 12 o clock position giving a flat response. The solution is not to engage Source Direct and set the 3 knobs to your required preferential sound.

Hi. I have a Marantz Pm6007 amp which when in the SOURCE DIRECT mode will not engage the balance knob. I am slightly off in my right ear meaning im off in "THE SWEET SPOT" BUT can tell the difference in the system when the SD button is on. This means my only other option is to have some sort of independent outboard Volume / Balance control running between my speaker OUT cable(s) before connecting to the speaker.

Is there such a board or box I can purchase to do this please?

Thanks in advance.
Why the need to use Source Direct?
Adding any extra boxes after the amp surely defeats the object of using Source Direct?

matthewpianist

Source Direct bypasses all 'unecessary' controls, so your Marantz is working as it should. To be totally honest, I generally don't find SD to make much or any difference to sound (including on a PM6007 I had), so I'd just leave it switched off so you can use the balance control as needed.

Reactions: nopiano

Truman

Dec 7, 2022
Visit site
Thats correct with the Marantz also. I'm asking if there is any sort of independent outboard Volume / Balance control I can fix between my speaker OUT cable(s) before connecting to the speaker to keep the SD on but have the ability to rebalance.

camcroft

This what it says on the Marantz site about SD
Playback in source direct mode

The signal does not pass through the tone adjustment circuitry (BASS, TREBLE and BALANCE), resulting in playback of a higher sound quality.
Press SOURCE DIRECT to turn on source direct mode.
The SOURCE DIRECT indicator lights.

You can also press SOURCE DIRECT on the main unit to turn on source direct mode.

Truman

Dec 7, 2022
Visit site
I'm aware of this thanks. My question is ,Can i get some sort of independent volume/balance control box that i can use between the AMPS output speaker cables and my speakers so i can adjust the difference accordingly. :)

camcroft

I'm aware of this thanks. My question is ,Can i get some sort of independent volume/balance control box that i can use between the AMPS output speaker cables and my speakers so i can adjust the difference accordingly. :)
I have never heard of such a thing as Al ears said and I would think that such a thing would degrade the sound.

This what it says on the Marantz site about SD
Playback in source direct mode

The signal does not pass through the tone adjustment circuitry (BASS, TREBLE and BALANCE), resulting in playback of a higher sound quality.
Press SOURCE DIRECT to turn on source direct mode.
The SOURCE DIRECT indicator lights.

You can also press SOURCE DIRECT on the main unit to turn on source direct mode.
That, to me, would be normal as Source Direct switches out any extraneous circuitry

WayneKerr

If you wanna fiddle with the balance knob then just take it out of source direct. As, Al, says introducing an external balance control between the amp and speakers will have a detrimental effect, probably more of a detrimental effect than leaving the source direct off.

I've had both the PM6004 and PM8005 and yes they did sound better with SD on, but not by a huge amount. Fortunately my current amp doesn't have this function.

Others will be along soon as I'm sure there is probably something out there which will do what you require, try a google search and let us know how you get on.

Reactions: nopiano

camcroft

If you wanna fiddle with the balance knob then just take it out of source direct. As, Al, says introducing an external balance control between the amp and speakers will have a detrimental effect, probably more of a detrimental effect than leaving the source direct off.

I've had both the PM6004 and PM8005 and yes they did sound better with SD on, but not by a huge amount. Fortunately my current amp doesn't have this function.

Others will be along soon as I'm sure there is probably something out there which will do what you require, try a google search and let us know how you get on.
I would say that take it out of SD mode and if your right ear is lacking turn the balance more to the right which will make the right side more prominent than the left then alter the volume accordingly. Simples

Gray

Hi. I have a Marantz Pm6007 amp which when in the SOURCE DIRECT mode will not engage the balance knob.
It would be possible for someone to internally modify your amp so that the one control 'Source Direct' didn't bypass, was the balance control - then you could have your cake and eat it.

Of course it would be handy if you only used a single, balance adjustable source.....but otherwise you're left with deciding which you value most - source direct or a balance facility.

(.....or pay me to unbypass the bypassed balance control 🤑).

Reactions: WayneKerr
I vaguely recall something like this decades ago, but that’s not relevant here. I have to emphasise the points several have already made - using the balance control in the amp is the sensible way forward.

The issue with a hypothetical external balance control is that it would introduce unwanted impedance/resistance after the power amp. A balance control sits in the preamp section, hence has no adverse effect on the power amp output. Therefore it would achieve nothing useful and mess up the sound.

If you want to be creative, then adding an attenuator on one input might achieve your aim. But they aren’t cheap. Look at Rothwell or Russ Andrews for these.

Last edited:
Reactions: WayneKerr

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts