Back to Vinyl

Glendower

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I've just come back to vinyl and have just purchased an Audio Technica turntable. I'm currently using it through my Panasonic home theatre system and the speakers that came with it. I have a great many LPs in the attic and the ones I've tried sound much better than the CD equivalent.

I realise that in order to maximise the sound, I need to have a dedicated amp and speakers. I can't afford a "fortune" so am looking for a decent budget amp and speakers to get me going.

Hope someone can help.

Glen

Glendower

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Well, at my age (65), I reckon I've lost some of the high frequencies and harmonics so I'm not looking to spend a fortune. Around £600 max seems reasonable.

Thanks for replying

Glen

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Richer Sounds has the Marantz PM6005 amp for £299 and Dali Zensor 3 for the same price. I think that would be a nice combo. Brighter speakers, thinking about losing hearing frequencies, may be the Monitor Audio BX2 which are highly regarded. i think they're £249. A brighter amp would be the Yamaha AS500 which, again, is well-regarded. Go and have a listen.There are loads more options, but these would be fine.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
For a dedicaded vinyl system and looking at budget amp with a phono stage built in you have to put your ears in a Rega Brio R, you can find a ex demo or used for £350-400 and add a pair of Dali zensor 3.

Perfecto! 8)

:cheers:

PEAYEL

Dec 13, 2008
Visit site
+1 for the Rega Brio R. Sounds great. Like you I have a bit of high frequency shut down on my left side. Try not to over compensate with your speakers. I took my son and wife with me on my final listening session, just to make sure that all was balanced exciting and well with the world. Young ears are worth the effort, if you can borrow them for an afternoon. All the best with your search.

Daveperc

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Glendower said:
Well, at my age (65), I reckon I've lost some of the high frequencies and harmonics so I'm not looking to spend a fortune.

I was in much the same position - so had my ears checked at Specsavers - I was amazed at how much top end I had lost, and was compensating for. Two shiny new ear-pieces later, and not only was my hifi transformed, so were conversations, especially in company!

Well worth checking before spending on the hifi IMHO!!

Dave

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The Marantz PM6005 would be a good start, and you could also look at the Rotel RA10 as an alternative. The Q Acoustics Concept 20 and the outgoing Monitor Audio RX1 loudspeakers will work well with either of those amps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts