Back to vinyl?

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I'am in dubt. I still buy and play cd's, but the bad soundquality irritating me (see Loudness War). I also see that the same album on vinyl better than cd.

But i don't have a turntable yet. Is it wise go back to vinyl? Or will everyone go to streaming?

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Streaming for those that like the convenience of digital, or vinyl for those that prefer analogue.

The days of CDs are numbered.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
DavieCee said:
The days of CDs are numbered.

Yep, a long number.

As to starting vinyl, I have done so a few months ago.

I adore it, no regrets. However, it is work intensive, more expensive and there is no guarantee for better sound quality. You have to choose wisely just as you do with CD and be prepared to put some elbow grease into it.

regards

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
+1

Got a Rega RP1 a year ago, bought loads of vinyl and love it!

It does take commitiment & money though but the positives negate this.

Got an RP6 now and am astounded what can be achieved with it.

Vinyl is my preferred choice when I purchase music now - with a download code is best

Why dont you get a Rega RP3, lovely deck with plenty of upgrade potential but sounds stunning out-of-the-box, if you dont like vinyl then you can always sell it on for not much loss but I doubt you will.

BTW the reason I went ot vinyl was same as you, the Loudness Wars, Dynamic Compression etc etc it was doing my head in buying CDs and being very dissapointed with the results.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Also no reason why you cant have a Vinyl front end in your system & a streaming option like myself - digital files through my DAC sound very good but vinyl where its at for me!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Got an RP6 now and am astounded what can be achieved with it.

So am I
smiley-wink.gif

As to sound quality, a lot of 70's rock etc is dreadful sounding on vinyl. I had some Wings on the other day and thought the sound engineer must have been as high as the band.

Also, the much recommended (here) Rumour album by FM I find rather lifeless on vinyl. I have heard the 45 version is much improved but I haven't got that one. - On the other hand, I have plenty of records which sound astonishing, uncompressed and just so alive. I particularely recommend some releases by Deutsche Gramophone if you are a classical buff.

regards

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
It's swings and roundabouts. You will almost certainly get better dynamics but that doesn't mean the vinyl will sound good and you also have to think about how much more it costs over the CD. Once an album ceases to be new you can usually get the CD for £3 or £4 but the vinyl is likely to be nearer to £20.

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
I reckon that CD sales won't be that far off vinyl sales within 5 years but that is only a hunch based on the way the wind is blowing. ;)

Just look at what the under 30s are buying. Not much in the way of Cds.......

Not much reason to. My downloads played through a DAC were at least the equal of a Roksan Kandy CD player and the majority of music buyers wouldn't pay that much for a CD player. The figures will be skewed on this forum though. :)

A

Anonymous

I've never left vinyl, but recently got back into it in a big way.

There are lots of vinyl bargains to be had out there.

To me on a good set up it can sound better, but the crunch for me is that with

vinyl I find myself sitting down and listening to the whole album and I can enjoy

the album artwork and read the sleeve notes with ease.

As has been said before you could have a vinyl and digital set up and get the

best of both worlds.

As with all formats there are good and bad recordings

Good Luck

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
[/quote]

So am I
smiley-wink.gif

. - On the other hand, I have plenty of records which sound astonishing, uncompressed and just so alive. I particularely recommend some releases by Deutsche Gramophone if you are a classical buff.

regards

[/quote]

Would be very interested to know which releases in particular as I am a classical fan. Also, did you buy them new or secondhand. finally, i've been thinking about Vinyl myself, as I just popped into a record fair and it all looked so inviting. Problem is I have Roksan Caspian amp with no phono stage and currently listen to a Marantz Pearl Lite SACD player and could only really afford an entry level turntable. Would I be disappointed?

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
DavieCee said:
Streaming for those that like the convenience of digital, or vinyl for those that prefer analogue.

The days of CDs are numbered.In there Millions they said vinyl was dead and look its still breathingt and it growing

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
cse said:
could only really afford an entry level turntable. Would I be disappointed?

I 'only' have a Rega RP1 as my record collection isn't big enough to warrant anything more expensive. Cost me £179 and can sound fantastic.

If you don't like it you'll get most of your money back on ebay.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
MakkaPakka said:
cse said:
could only really afford an entry level turntable. Would I be disappointed?

I 'only' have a Rega RP1 as my record collection isn't big enough to warrant anything more expensive. Cost me £179 and can sound fantastic.

If you don't like it you'll get most of your money back on ebay.

Is that with cartridge? Which cartridge would you recomend?

You can get the rega phono stage for about £80.

TRENDING THREADS