Back to front recording of Bolero

TrevC

I just bought an LP of Ravel's Bolero (they call it Orelob :)) that is most unusual in that you place the arm near the centre and it plays towards the edge. This is to improve the sound quality of the loudest part at the end. The sound quality on my shibata equipped AT cartridge is truly excellent. Won't work on linear trackers though.

I just bought an LP of Ravel's Bolero (they call it Orelob :)) that is most unusual in that you place the arm near the centre and it plays towards the edge. This is to improve the sound quality of the loudest part at the end. The sound quality on my shibata equipped AT cartridge is truly excellent. Won't work on linear trackers though.
I'm surprised it worked so well on your kit what with the anti-skate working in reverse.
Glad it did though.

D

Deleted member 108165

Interesting (y) Notice it was released in 2013. Might have to check it out as I really like Ravel's Balero, of course made more famous by Torvil & Dean using it in their record breaking score gold medal performance in '84 .

Oh yes it does. Think about it!
You need to explain that one to me.
The anti-skate feature applies a small outward force to the tonearm, counteracting the tendency of the arm to move inward (skate) toward the center of the record, as the tonearm approaches the end of the record.
If you have it set correctly to do this it will not function when tonearm is moving from centre to outer edge will it?

TrevC

You need to explain that one to me.
The anti-skate feature applies a small outward force to the tonearm, counteracting the tendency of the arm to move inward (skate) toward the center of the record, as the tonearm approaches the end of the record.
If you have it set correctly to do this it will not function when tonearm is moving from centre to outer edge will it?
Of course it will. The fact that the groove spirals outwards won't make any difference to the natural pull inwards of the disc, so the setting of the bias compensation remains the same as it is for conventional discs. Many people use a blank disc and adjust for minimal inward or outward movement which takes no account of the groove spiral at all.

Of course it will. The fact that the groove spirals outwards won't make any difference to the natural pull inwards of the disc, so the setting of the bias compensation remains the same as it is for conventional discs. Many people use a blank disc and adjust for minimal inward or outward movement which takes no account of the groove spiral at all.
Surely if they are using the blank disc as you describe they are essential adding zero tracking force correction.

danny-79

Oct 3, 2020
Visit site
Slightly different genre but I picked up a Rob Zombie 10inch (dead city radio) a few years back that plays backwards. Can’t say I can notice any difference. Just thought it was a novelty thing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts