B&w - vintage 601 S3 or new 606s

Rachelw

Jan 17, 2021
Visit site
Hi there, I'm contemplating getting some b&w bookshelf speakers. I wondered which sound better the 601 s3s (there's a pair in excellent condition being sold currently) or the new 606s for a bit more (or 606 s2 - but they are £200 more - really worth it?)

There's also the difference of the port being at the front on the old ones and back on the new ones which I'm told would make a difference in positioning. Just wondered whether the older speakers are better quality or not.

Many thanks

Hi there, I'm contemplating getting some b&w bookshelf speakers. I wondered which sound better the 601 s3s (there's a pair in excellent condition being sold currently) or the new 606s for a bit more (or 606 s2 - but they are £200 more - really worth it?)

There's also the difference of the port being at the front on the old ones and back on the new ones which I'm told would make a difference in positioning. Just wondered whether the older speakers are better quality or not.

Many thanks
perhaps only you can answer that one. If you have difficulty with placement then the 601s would make sense particularly if you can get them for a good price.
Whilst speaker development has certainly improved the idea that they will sound better should not always be taken for granted.

Reactions: Rachelw

spooks1982

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Not done a side by side comparison but what I can say is that 601's are great speakers. My first 'proper' hifi was a NAD C370 + NAD C542 paired with with B&W 601 S3. Sounded superb, one of the most satisfying systems I've ever owned. They are pretty large for stand-mount speakers but if that's not a concern they definitely worth a look.

Reactions: Rachelw

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts