admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
2 options for my new system

Decided on the 685 kit. but thinking do I stick with the 608 sub, or upgrade to the 610???

It is going to be linked up to an Onkyo 806. (would get the Yamaha 863, but its out of stock till feb I believe and its £100 more expensive. Thats nearly 2 sets of spekaer stands for me) And A panny BD55 Blu ray.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

If only the budget would push that far.

Chris, see you have the onkyo 875. any adivce and opinion on the 2.1 sound quality. Can't quite afford an 876, so it'd be an 806, but looking for a good sound 2.1 as well as 5.1. Just got the yamaha reviews in the back of my mind saying they do stereo really well.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Sorry. My Hi-Fi and my A/V are completely independent from each other (bar the PV1). The Onkyo only ever gets used for A/V duties (and a bit of radio use).

What source would you be using for your 2.1? A dedicated CD or the panny BD player? Also, I'm sure the stereo performance will be a lot better with your 685s than my M1s.

A

Anonymous

Going to be using the Panny blu - ray for the time being,

Tried the 606 a week or so ago and was impressed, so the 806 can only be better still.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
michael_walkden:

Tried the 606 a week or so ago and was impressed, so the 806 can only be better still.

Agreed. Sounds like you've found a winner.

;-)

Back to your OP. How large is your room? I would think unless it's very small, and if you have the money, then the 610 would be the better choice.

A

Anonymous

Do like the Onkyo's look and spec.

Just hard to get the Yamaha review out of my head.

Got an audition tuesday for the 685's, the 806 and the yamaha 1900. Thought it I can't tell any difference to a £900 amp then the 863 will make no difference.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
I would also look at a sub from the likes of SVS or BK, they'll blow any B&W sub out of the water inc. the PV1 and XP. I've had my SVS for a few years now and it has been one of my best AV purchases. Check the reviews at the SVS site. You can buy BK direct too. Seriously mate, you wouldn't regret either and it would enable you to put some money towards something else.

http://www.subsonicsounds.co.uk/html/box-subwoofers.html

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
They're not sold within the usual dealer networks but are sold directly by the distributor (SVS are distributed by subsonicsounds / kent home cinema) and BK directly from the manufacturer. Seriously you can buy either without hesitation and if you aren't happy with the finish or sound within your setup, send it back. I doubt you will. I've never read anything bad about either of them. I imported mine directly from the USA, which would have been a pain to send back but have had no regrets. Pure clean bass at a fraction of what I would have paid for a mainstream product bought from a dealer. I know that this might go against the grain particularly as WHF haven't probably reviewed either but that shouldn't put you off. Maybe some people will look down upon the likes of SVS, as they might be considered to be simply an enthusiasts product but in the end, we're all enthusiasts, otherwise we wouldn't be on a forum talking about AV! In these cash strapped climes, we should be seeking out a bargain whenever we can, which they are, simple as that.

A

Anonymous

You can trial the SVS at kent home cinema the bk you cant trial anywhere..

BUT ive always found sub trials pretty much a waste of time anyhow if there a piece of hi fi thats gonna sound compleatly different depending on the room and where its located in the room its a sub, If i can get independant stats of a subs preformance hz reached with less than -3dbls THD being low at the lower frequencies ect ect im happy to buy safe in ther knowledge that almost any sub can intergrated into any system

Also the likes of BK can offer better value for money as there is no middle man taking his cut of the profits

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts