B&W SPEAKERS

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

adamrobertshaw

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I'll only ever buy front ported speakers in the future. It was the factor that made me demo the PM1 and PMC twenty together.

I've always had issues with bass boom on rear ported speakers ... moving furniture around to make more room, bungs in and out, full bung / half bung etc.

I also wonder why PM1, 600 and 800 are front ported and CM are rear ported?

manicm

adamrobertshaw said:
I'll only ever buy front ported speakers in the future. It was the factor that made me demo the PM1 and PMC twenty together.

I've always had issues with bass boom on rear ported speakers ... moving furniture around to make more room, bungs in and out, full bung / half bung etc.

I also wonder why PM1, 600 and 800 are front ported and CM are rear ported?

This is a misconception. Front-ported speakers can have the same bass boom issues as rear-ported ones. For example, my old B&W 685s were not any more flexible than my current MA RX1s as far as positioning goes.

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
manicm said:
For example, my old B&W 685s were not any more flexible than my current MA RX1s as far as positioning goes.

That was certainly not the case in my setup (close to the back wall). The RX1 were VERY boomy while the 685 was tight and had much better definition in the bass.

My experience is that back ported speakers are better than front ported when placed close to the back wall and i tried many speakers.
wink_smile.gif

adamrobertshaw

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I still own CM1, RX2 and some GX50. If they get close to a wall they just chuff and boom.

I demoed some previous model 685 right against a wall and no problems. Bass was fine. So I bought them and got the same results in my house. Unfortunately the drivers needed updating, which B&W have now done.

I saw some new model 684 playing loudly and clearly about 30cm from the wall. Sounded fabulous.

Front ported speakers all the way ... until I can afford a bigger house.

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
ErwinC said:
manicm said:
For example, my old B&W 685s were not any more flexible than my current MA RX1s as far as positioning goes.

That was certainly not the case in my setup (close to the back wall). The RX1 were VERY boomy while the 685 was tight and had much better definition in the bass.

My experience is that back ported speakers are better than front ported when placed close to the back wall and i tried many speakers.

It seems B&W specificatons on their standmounters is a recommended min. of 50 cm from rear wall .

Not easily obtained in a lot of UK homes (room size,wife etc).
dash1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts