B&W SPEAKERS

boshk

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm curious too what they will do if anything to PM1s. The new CMx S2 looks good, if u can accept the tweeter thing on top.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
alchemist 1 said:
Having upgaded the 600 and now their CM series of speakers.

Are B&W in the process of upgrading their complete range, including the PM 1 and 8OOD speakers ?

I can't speak for the 800 series, but I can't see the PM1 changing as it is nearer to the 800 series than it is the CM series with regards to its tweeter. Also, with it being a speaker without a range, so to speak, I don't think it would be worth changing anyway.

Sliced Bread

I'm just curious to know if there will be an Atmos speaker in the CM or 600 range. It could be that they are waiting for it to take off at the end of the year, but with the tweeter on top I don;t see how they're going to do it.

Maybe they'll have another approach. I'd be suprised if they skipped it all together.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Nothing has been announced or even hinted at with regards to Atmos from B&W. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't working on anything or don't have anything coming to market soon...

Johnwin

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi

I am considering buying a NAD D3020 or MA Airstream A100 amp to drive a pair of B&W 685S2 speakers. Any recommendations on which would partner best with the speakers?

Thanks

Sliced Bread

Johnwin said:
Hi

I am considering buying a NAD D3020 or MA Airstream A100 amp to drive a pair of B&W 685S2 speakers. Any recommendations on which would partner best with the speakers?

Thanks

You'll be interested in reading the Best system for £1000 in the latest whf :)they set up a system and test both of those amps with those speakers and give their verdict :)

Sliced Bread

David@FrankHarvey said:
Nothing has been announced or even hinted at with regards to Atmos from B&W. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't working on anything or don't have anything coming to market soon...
Maybe they're playing their cards close to their chest on this one. Thanks for sharing ;)

adamrobertshaw

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
A pair of CM1 speakers was my first real step up, particularly after years of using some all rubber Polks in a 5.1 set up. Got a soft spot for the CM series, so happy to see the long overdue update.

But comparing the CM5 S2 to the CM6 S2, other than the external tweeter, what is driving the £550 price difference between the models?

And why no Wenge wood finish? That's a B&W trait. Doesn't seem right.

manicm

adamrobertshaw said:
A pair of CM1 speakers was my first real step up, particularly after years of using some all rubber Polks in a 5.1 set up. Got a soft spot for the CM series, so happy to see the long overdue update.

But comparing the CM5 S2 to the CM6 S2, other than the external tweeter, what is driving the £550 price difference between the models?

If the CM6 S2 is as good or better, then it could be a cut-price PM1.

Johnwin

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
They actually tried the NAD D3020 and the Monitor Audio A100 with QAcoustics speakers. I don't recall a test with the MA A100 paired with B&W 685S2 's

Johnwin

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
They actually tried the NAD D3020 and the Monitor Audio A100 with QAcoustics speakers. I don't recall a test with the MA A100 paired with B&W 685S2 's

adamrobertshaw

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I was also thinking that if the CM6 S2 is very good it makes the PM1 look pricey.

I have demoed PM1s twice. The tweeter is fantastic. The small mid/bass seems to be asked to do a lot and for me didn't cope well with higher volume. I went for PMC twenty.22

One trait I've noticed with larger B&W drivers is that they soak up loud music pretty well.

I enjoy the B&W sound. I have also demoed the 805 D and that was wonderful. Just don't have that kind of cash unfortunately.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
adamrobertshaw said:
The CM6 would need its own bespoke crossover, and who knows how much that tweeter pod and its fixing to the cabinet costs!

Wenge is fairly popular in the UK, but not globally.

boshk

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
adamrobertshaw said:
I was also thinking that if the CM6 S2 is very good it makes the PM1 look pricey.

I have demoed PM1s twice. The tweeter is fantastic. The small mid/bass seems to be asked to do a lot and for me didn't cope well with higher volume. I went for PMC twenty.22

One trait I've noticed with larger B&W drivers is that they soak up loud music pretty well.

I enjoy the B&W sound. I have also demoed the 805 D and that was wonderful. Just don't have that kind of cash unfortunately.

It'll be interesting to see the new CM6 vs PM1 test.......

when do you guys get it?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
While the cabinet is the same size, you're taking out of that cabinet the 'volume' of the tweeter housing and everything that comes with it, and there may well be other small tweaks to benefit the tweeter and its new position.

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
While the cabinet is the same size, you're taking out of that cabinet the 'volume' of the tweeter housing and everything that comes with it, and there may well be other small tweaks to benefit the tweeter and its new position.

Perhaps. Is your statement a fact or a guess ?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
ErwinC said:
David@FrankHarvey said:

Perhaps. Is your statement a fact or a guess ?

A guess, hence the "may well". My 'guess' would be that although the crossover points are the same, there will have been a little more work gone into the CM6 crossover to get it just right, as with it being a new (and some would say, less attractive) model, it will have to stand up and prove itself. From what I've heard, it isn't lacking compared to other speakers at it's price point, and that includes floorstanding models.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
alchemist 1 said:
Have you had chance to compare S2 to the existing CM speakers ?

I did a couple of months ago at B&W. I haven't done any comparison in store because I already know how much better the new range is, and with a member of staff off with a fractured leg, its a little awkward to get some alone time for messing about with hifi at the moment! :)

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
boshk said:
adamrobertshaw said:

It'll be interesting to see the new CM6 vs PM1 test.......

when do you guys get it?

This would be a interesting comparison.

On another note, why bo B&W mix &match their ports on various speakers ?

Wouldn't front facing ports make for easier placement ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts