B&W Speakers - mix and match from different ranges

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My 5.1 speaker set-up currently comprises a pair of 601S3s on the front, a matching LCR60 S3 in the middle, and a pair of Gale Gold Monitors on the rear, that used to be my front speakers before I bought the B&Ws. The 600 series has recently been updated, so I can no longer buy matching speakers, but in any case, I would like something more discrete to use as the rear speakers, so was considering a pair of FPM2s. The question, does the fact that the FPM2s have a different frequency response and sensitivity to the 601s matter? Will the they be tonally similar as they are from the same manufacturer, or does that not follow? Would appreciate your advice.

A

Anonymous

Or you could ask does it even matter. So little information is sent to the rears that sometimes you wonder whether anyone will ever grasp the possibilities of surround by the scruff of the neck and TRULY involve the listener. I find that 5 or 7 channel stereo, where the rears and side/rears are repeating the same signal as the front pair, is the only time you really get the benefit and that's only really applicable with music.

Considering the set-up I have shown below, my feelings are that the exact tonal match is not absolutely vitally important as long as the quality is similar and the tone not miles out. Hence if you stick with B&W I have no doubt you'll struggle to make out whether you've won or lost vs. what you may have bought.

After all, you are mixing totally different sized boxes front and rear, so you would expect a little difference anyway. At the price range you and I are playing in, we're picking at straws being overly analytical of the system. Upgrade to a 10k set-up and have the same 5 speakers and then start being finickerty and have a nice argument about tonal balance due to 2m of speaker cable vs. 7m. Now that would really kick up a stink on this site ;-)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Will Harris"]Or you could ask does it even matter.[/quote]

Well, I guess that was what I was asking really!!

I see your point about different size boxes, so do one or two other subtle differences matter - probably not. Especially given that the speaker placement in my sitting room is, well, less than "ideal".

Maybe I should stick with my Gales then, and save myself a few quid.

Thanks for your thoughts, Will.

A

Anonymous

If I were upgrading I'd be thinking about a power amp for the front pair and perhaps making sure the centre is up to the task and matches in well with the front pair. That's where 85% of the sonic workload is spread. That's where I'd spend my money.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Mr_Orange"]My 5.1 speaker set-up currently comprises a pair of 601S3s on the front, a matching LCR60 S3 in the middle, and a pair of Gale Gold Monitors on the rear, that used to be my front speakers before I bought the B&Ws.

The 600 series has recently been updated, so I can no longer buy matching speakers, but in any case, I would like something more discrete to use as the rear speakers, so was considering a pair of FPM2s.

The question, does the fact that the FPM2s have a different frequency response and sensitivity to the 601s matter?

Will the they be tonally similar as they are from the same manufacturer, or does that not follow?

Would appreciate your advice.[/quote]

You will be able to buy same/similar speakers, check out Ebay

I've recently just bought some B&W 603 S3 speakers off there and there are still plenty of sets of 602s and 601s for sale.

Might not be S3 versions but the S2 speakers will do just as good a job, maybe buy some floor standers for the front speakers and use the 601s for the rears!

Good luck

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Will Harris"]If I were upgrading I'd be thinking about a power amp for the front pair and perhaps making sure the centre is up to the task and matches in well with the front pair. That's where 85% of the sonic workload is spread. That's where I'd spend my money.[/quote]
I've just upgraded my amplification to an Audiolab 8000AV & X7 pairing, so I think that's OK now. Since I have 5.1 setup, I have bridged the necessary channels to get more power/control on the front pair, which obviously double up on stereo duties for CD and tuner replay.

Not really a fan of Ebay, but I take the point that the S3 series speakers are still available.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts