B&W Formation products - Alexa enabled

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
I am still waiting for mine. Sevenoaks promised availability early this week but still nothing.

They were listed as in stock when I ordered but that has now changed to 'awaiting stock' ... .

May order elsewhere but they offered a 200 quid discount when a Sevenoaks guy called me last week to tell me they'd have it this Monday 🤔

Good news about Alexa even though I don't use it personally.

D

Deleted member 2457

I am still waiting for mine. Sevenoaks promised availability early this week but still nothing.

They were listed as in stock when I ordered but that has now changed to 'awaiting stock' ... .

May order elsewhere but they offered a 200 quid discount when a Sevenoaks guy called me last week to tell me they'd have it this Monday 🤔

Good news about Alexa even though I don't use it personally.
Have you seen the price of these ones:

Got a 10 per cent discount code and in stock.

Reactions: RoA

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
I have been in contact with Sevenoaks. B&W seem to have a supply issue (for all product not just Formation). Something about a Warehouse move ... ? - Rather than withdrawing my order I left it as they should have stock in the next two weeks. No bother as I have a system. They offered to send me the Formation Audio but without speakers I can only use it as a paper weight. _ Should that not be the case I will cancel and get them at Gel's suggestion (and wonder if there are more sinister issues at either Sevenoaks or B&W)

Solo

Jan 27, 2021
Visit site
I have been in contact with Sevenoaks. B&W seem to have a supply issue (for all product not just Formation). Something about a Warehouse move ... ? - Rather than withdrawing my order I left it as they should have stock in the next two weeks. No bother as I have a system. They offered to send me the Formation Audio but without speakers I can only use it as a paper weight. _ Should that not be the case I will cancel and get them at Gel's suggestion (and wonder if there are more sinister issues at either Sevenoaks or B&W)

If it is a B&W supply issue than other resellers could face a similar (non) availability. Of course depending on their stock level. Quite annoying for you.

Did they offer you the Audio only for a limited time or as compensation?

There’s far more often an innocent explanation for these things. Maybe the new batch were stuck on that container ship in Suez?

B&W have had some ownership changes, and I’d got the impression the Formation series hadn’t been too successful, despite a flurry of positive reviews. As long as you've used a credit card you’ll have protection should Sevenoaks have any problems.

Solo

Jan 27, 2021
Visit site
There’s far more often an innocent explanation for these things. Maybe the new batch were stuck on that container ship in Suez?

B&W have had some ownership changes, and I’d got the impression the Formation series hadn’t been too successful, despite a flurry of positive reviews. As long as you've used a credit card you’ll have protection should Sevenoaks have any problems.

True, a lot of manufactures have supplies delayed due to the Suez blockage.

Ever since the takeover from Sound United there has been more focus on the formation series again, most notably on the music app. As i said before it is not perfect yet, but definitely a big step in the right direction.

Reactions: RoA

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
If it is a B&W supply issue than other resellers could face a similar (non) availability. Of course depending on their stock level. Quite annoying for you.

Did they offer you the Audio only for a limited time or as compensation?

No, I paid for it. Being though that the product is available elsewhere cheaper I will expect an additional discount to the 200 given already, especially if I buy the stands too which I have not yet. I know they are purpose made to lock the speakers down but I much prefer the look of upmarket Dynaudio stands (or even older B&W ones with the legs that 'spread' out)

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
True, a lot of manufactures have supplies delayed due to the Suez blockage.

Ever since the takeover from Sound United there has been more focus on the formation series again, most notably on the music app. As i said before it is not perfect yet, but definitely a big step in the right direction.

The omission of chromecast (unless I've missed something) is a rather serious one. I get round it but not to include this is daft imho. It will put people off buying into Formation imho.

B&W should seriously re-think this. They can include Alexa and its a good start but carry on adding options. A truly integrated system is all about that.

Last edited:

Solo

Jan 27, 2021
Visit site
The omission of chromecast (unless I've missed something) is a rather serious one. I get round it but not to include this is daft imho. It will put people off buying into Formation imho.

B&W should seriously re-think this. They can include Alexa and its a good start but carry on adding options. A truly integrated system is all about that.

You are right, Chromecast is still not supported. The subject of an integrated system is one all manufacturers have to tackle. I have not seen any available software /app do that, whether it is KEF, B&W, HEOS or any other.

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
I now had a few days to play around with the Formation Duo, in direct comparison with the Wireless II's.

I start with some minuses and go to the good stuff later in a separate message, there are quite a few.

Please also note, so far I have not used the Formation Audio, the optional Hub to connect more sources. I will cover this separately. The below is simply streaming through the app. I do not use Roon.

1. Volume control steps are too big (unless I've missed a trick but there is not much to play with in the simple app). At lower volume there is not enough scope for adjustment. They should double the available steps, at least!

2. There is no off 'switch'. B&W simply say there is no need to ever turn them off. - They do go automatically in to standby after no signal is received after a while but as odd as this may seem, I like an 'off button', even if it's only in the app. Little things matter and add to user enjoyment.

3. The whole of the Class D amplifier section, the base of the speaker, gets rather warm approaching hot. Far more so than the Kef's with their dedicated heat sinks. This may or may not bode well for the longevity of electronic components within. Heat is usually the enemy so we'll see. I am surprised though considering the topology. I will buy a suitable thermometer this week to get accurate readings but for now I will leave it at I never had a hifi component that was running hotter. One possible explanation is that the base section of the speaker also includes the 5 or so antennaes and router to form the Duo's own Mesh network.

4. The app/s. Currently there are 2 and they are neither as comprehensive or intuitive as KEF's. They work and that is all I can praise them for. -
There is no Room Correction or any other niceties for that matter such as an option to determine cut off-frequencies for subwoofer integration. Perhaps this option only appears when connecting a sub? - I hope so as this really is a must in a product like this! - Literally the only things you can adjust are Volume, bass & treble. Volume in-App adjustment, apart from not being fine enough can seem clumsy on occasions. With the KEF's you get a remote, here you don't. Everything is app controlled and B&W has work to do. - For nearly 4 grand I expect more ... including Room Correction.
There was an update a few months ago which added ... Alexa. That was it. - Although B&W say they are continuing to improve the app, it all seems that they stopped doing where it matters a year ago. Not good enough, especially for a product that relies entirely on its app.

5. Packaging. I am all for environmental friendliness but B&W have gone a little too far. - I know £4k is small change in the high end but if CA Audio can do better with £400 products I want something a little nicer when spending 10 times this. Its a carton box with a couple of Styrofoam panels and the speakers wrapped in some white protective thin foam like bag. - The manual and product info is the size of a post card and only marginally thicker. There are a couple of weedy, ultra thin feeling figure of 8 power leads with UK connections and a further 2 for Europe. - Yes, it all does the job but something a little nicer would make the unpacking experience ... nicer.

6. Non removable grilles. Fair enough, they look superb and no doubt the speaker was designed with them in place but apparently the same Continuum drivers were used as in the 800 series (with cast baskets and big magnet systems) so I occasionally would like to see what I've paid for, even only from the front. I also think black anodised grilles would have looked smarter with the black version, likewise white for the ... .

Not a good start perhaps but there is better to come. I will pass my findings on to B&W.

I also find it odd none of the above or at least some are mentioned in 'professional' reviews. Draw your own conclusions as to why ...

Last edited:

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
I had a lengthy part 2 here which went into details of Sound quality etc etc.

I deleted it.

The only things worth mentioning are; They sound superb, they are better than the Kef's, expected considering the price difference. - They both sound different and they both are very, very good speakers.

Had I to describe the Duo's sound in one phrase it would be something like this;

A speaker several times it's size with a powerful, accurate, smooth valve amplifier.

(With the caveat that you have effective tone controls to adjust the sound signature).

OK, two phrases ...

It's unlikely to happen but I would be quite interested in hearing these next to a good amplifier speaker system, something like a Prima Luna EVO 400 and a set of B&W 800 series stand mount or smaller Harbeth's.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts