Question B&W Formation Duo Power Cord Upgrade

bottle

Jul 4, 2021
Visit site
Have anyone upgraded the power cord for formation duo?

I have found a few possible power cords such as AudioQuest NRG-X2, Y2, and Z2 but have never tried them.

Thanks

bottle

Jul 4, 2021
Visit site
Not entirely sure as to why you would want to. Is there an issue with the original?

According to what I heard from some speaker expert, it would improve the performance such as more dynamic, more punchy...etc.

I am not sure how much but I think it's noticeable.

Just like apple TV 4k, the image quality will be much better after power cord upgrade.

D

Deleted member 116933

According to what I heard from some speaker expert, it would improve the performance such as more dynamic, more punchy...etc.

I am not sure how much but I think it's noticeable.

Just like apple TV 4k, the image quality will be much better after power cord upgrade.

Are you pulling our chain with Apple 4K thing

I’d say keep your money in your wallet. Or treat your better half to a night out.

If you really want to make a noticeable improvement to power get a dedicated circuit put in.

bottle

Jul 4, 2021
Visit site
Are you pulling our chain with Apple 4K thing

I’d say keep your money in your wallet. Or treat your better half to a night out.

If you really want to make a noticeable improvement to power get a dedicated circuit put in.

I've read this in the following link.

The power cords provided with the Formation Duos are surprisingly thin -- considerably skinnier than the cords for my toaster and kettle. Would the Duos sound better with better power cords? I can’t say. But when I replaced the stock cords for my Dynaudio Focus 200 XD active speakers with AudioQuest HRG-Y3 cords, I heard improvements in solidity and articulation -- and the Dyns’ stock cords are more substantial than the Duos’. If I were buying the Duos, I’d definitely investigate better power cords.

D

Deleted member 108165

The power cords provided with the Formation Duos are surprisingly thin -- considerably skinnier than the cords for my toaster and kettle. Would the Duos sound better with better power cords? I can’t say. But when I replaced the stock cords for my Dynaudio Focus 200 XD active speakers with AudioQuest HRG-Y3 cords, I heard improvements in solidity and articulation -- and the Dyns’ stock cords are more substantial than the Duos’. If I were buying the Duos, I’d definitely investigate better power cords.
Yeah, but you ain't boiling a kettle or toasting bread so you don't need thicker cables. I'm sure in their wisdom B&W have supplied cables of sufficient gauge to power these speakers.

abacus

Mains cables will not make a difference unless they are damaged, which in that case replace them as straight away.

There are many claims about how mains cables improve the sound however, none have ever been scientifically proven or verified, so take any claims with a pinch of salt. (Do a double blind test if you wish to try for yourself?)

When it comes to looks (Some people like to have their cables on show) the standard cables provided by manufactures look horrible, so in this case no harm in getting something that looks better, but they will not improve the sound in any way.

Bill

D

Deleted member 116933

Carry on the way you are.

But if you want to buy the cables by all means do so. But most here have been there done that and if does make a difference its very very very slightly and not worth the outlay.

Think about the things that will make a massive difference like room treatment even if the speakers are EQ'ed

Friesiansam

I think about mains cables this way: All they need to be is sufficiently thick to carry the required current and, safe (CE or BS Kite marked). And, the mains cable is just the last metre but, the power station, wind turbines or solar farm supplying your power is many miles/kilometres away. Changing the cable is a waste of money and time, unless for safety reasons.

Fahad

Jan 30, 2020
Visit site
@bottle, I am using the Audioquest NRG power chords for my tube pre, sub and streamer. While they do look prettier :), I am afraid I really didn't notice any difference over the stock cables. Thats just my experience though.
I dont have much experience with powered speakers but for me, a more apparent improvement was putting iso pucks between bookshelf speakers and stands.

We use standard/basic mains cables with ATC' ultra high resolution SCM100ASL Professional monitors. If standard/basic mains cables are good enough for SCM100ASL Professional monitors then standard/basic mains cables are more than good enough for Bowers & Wilkins Formation Duo's.

atc scm100asl pro front.jpg

TRENDING THREADS