B&W DM2A replaced with B&W 685S2

jcag

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I own the speakers B&W DM2A (paired) since 40 years and I am always very happy with it. They are connected to a Marantz SR7000. I wonder if I can replace them - problem of space - with the B&W 685S2 without disappointment. Thanks in advance.

jcag

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
They are already installed in corners and close to the wall, but I think they are not eternal and that technology has evolved over time, at least I hope. Anyway I do not separate myself.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
jcag said:
They are already installed in corners and close to the wall, but I think they are not eternal and that technology has evolved over time, at least I hope.

It's a nice hope but I fear that loudspeaker technology has not progressed in the listening as much as it has in the technology.

This is why I have just purchased new speakers that have been in production since 1999 and are based on drivers and cabinet design principles pre-dating that by another 20 (or more) years.

matthewpiano

If you are still planning to position your speakers in the corners and close the wall, the 685s would be a backwards step, as modern B&Ws (like most speakers now) like a bit of space and will produce boom and bass overhang in that sort of set-up. If you have the space to pull them away from corners and with decent clearance from side and rear walls, they would be worth a try but I would suggest an audition to make sure they don't disappoint after your DM2s.

I do agree with Chebby that loadspeakers haven't progressed all that much. There has been a race to produce large-speaker bass from small enclosures with narrow baffles and this can be an issue if you like a natural sound without over-emphasised bass. This is one of the reasons why I love my Rega RS1s as they have been engineered for a natural sound rather than a bloated one and they are something of an exception amongst affordable speakers. The Audio Note speakers that Chebby has a wonderful if you like a natural, immersive sound (I auditioned a pair about 18 months ago), and would be well worth a try.

jcag

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for all your answers. My goal is to find bookshelf speakers or slightly larger dimensions that I would place on brackets respecting the distance from the wall recommended by the designer and which I hope will not disappoint me of my B & W DM2A. Their cost should be less than 800 € (685 GBP) - or, if it is a wonder, "slightly" higher -. Maybe I am dreaming but it feels good.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts