B&W DM 601 S1 - Smaller Newer Replacements

thepointmisser

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
I have old B&W 601's, on two fairly ugly stands. The stands are too low in any case, but the speakers are also too big for their new location.

Im trying to understand the output / impedeance of the B&W against modern counterparts but have no idea!

I need substantially SMALLER speakers (even if the b&w aren't that big) but with the big sound i feel i get from them.

I have about £200. I like the Q acoustics but have no idea if they would equal the output of sound i got used to. I dont necessarily need the NEWEST speakers if something out there from a few years back fits the ticket...(although i'd like the speakers not to be used).

I am using an old Kenwood KA 3020SE amp and Cambridge Azur 640c CDP.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The DM601's output, particularly their bass, would be more like the Monitor Audio Silver 1 and other similarly sized speakers around that sort of price point. To get something "substantially smaller" just won't have the bass output to come anywhere near them. If you added a sub, you could then look at much smaller speakers, but this won't be opssible within your budget, as I wouldn't recommend budget subs, not for music anyway.

insider9

thepointmisser said:
I have old B&W 601's, on two fairly ugly stands. The stands are too low in any case, but the speakers are also too big for their new location. 

Im trying to understand the output / impedeance of the B&W against modern counterparts but have no idea! 

I need substantially SMALLER speakers (even if the b&w aren't that big) but with the big sound i feel i get from them.

I have about £200. I  like the Q acoustics but have no idea if they would equal the output of sound i got used to.  I dont necessarily need the NEWEST speakers if something out there from a few years back fits the ticket...(although i'd like the speakers not to be used).

I am using an old Kenwood KA 3020SE amp and Cambridge Azur 640c CDP.
What is it about the speakers that you find inadequate? Why do you fell the need to go smaller? Is it how loud they need to play to sound good? Is it their tonal qualities? Or some other reason?

Most people when describing speakers want their speakers to sound big. Don't think I've seen many who are looking for the opposite.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I don't think you'll get equals to your own for 200. I have a set of q acoustics 2020i in a room that's approx the same and (I think) they sound great, with enough low end (for me). They are 260mm height, 170mm wide and 276mm deep I think.

I have similar ones (3020) in a room twice that size and they are a little lost.

thepointmisser

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
thepointmisser said:
What is it about the speakers that you find inadequate? Why do you fell the need to go smaller? Is it how loud they need to play to sound good? Is it their tonal qualities? Or some other reason?

Most people when describing speakers want their speakers to sound big. Don't think I've seen many who are looking for the opposite.

Hi, i want similar levels of sound, but i they need to be PHYSICALLY smaller. I have a new house, and where the speakers can go space is more limited.. They are mostly too tall. i dont expect to get thinner or shallower. I'd like the big sound, but I fear I may be on a hiding to nothing..! Maybe the 2020's/3020's could be possible....

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Just a thought, are you taking the height of stands into consideration also. Mission mx3i are going for a good price in RS, they are floorstanders but only 815mm tall, they might be an outside contender for what you need

nick8858

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Thought of these. Second hand go for £400 maybe. These are tiny but fantastic sound. My room is a good 13 foot square and plenty of output available. You can mount them on the wall, back to the wall, on stands. Great speakers.

thepointmisser

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi thepointmisser

Look at the used market for the discontined DM600 S3's. They are smaller then 601's however still retain much of the 601's performance.

These look the business. The right size for sure.. Cheers. If i can only track down soemthing in perfect nick. Ebay appears to have a few..

thepointmisser said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi thepointmisser

Look at the used market for the discontined DM600 S3's. They are smaller then 601's however still retain much of the 601's performance.

These look the business. The right size for sure.. Cheers. If i can only track down soemthing in perfect nick. Ebay appears to have a few..

Hi thepointmisser

You're welcome and good luck
regular_smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS