B&W CM9 (not the new S2)

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Good afternoon,

In a potential case of upgrade-itis, does anyone have an opinion on these speakers? I can't get an in-store demo, but can get the speakers on Sale or Return, in case they are not to my tastes.

I currrently have the QAcoustics Concept 40, what I consider to be a very capable speaker. I've recently moved the hi-fi to a larger room (7m x 5m, pitched ceiling up to 12ft) and the QAcoustics don't have the same impact now, understandably. They still sound pretty good, but I'm wondering if the larger drivers of the B&Ws make much of a difference? Am I wasting my time? Could it just be the different acoustic properties of the room?

The amplification used is Onkyo A9000R (as pre) into Onkyo M5000R.

Cheers!

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I guess the only thing is, I would need to run in the CM9s before I can really judge them properly. Not sure how keen the shop would be getting them back in a week or ten days later with a "Can I have my money back , please" ...

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
They have been pumping out music for around 8 hours today. Have been running them alongside my QAcoustics Concept 40s for a direct comparison. I have been really impressed with the Concept 40 as my first "proper" speaker.

Initial impressions:

The mid-range definition on the CM9s is instantly and obviously superior. There is added depth to the soundstage, particularly with the vocals I've been listening to.

As for the high ranges, the CM9 tweeter seems in a different league.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the CM9s have a bit more heft to them at the bottom end (even out of the box). The Concept 40s are no slouch here and at the moment they offer better definition and reproduction of the bottom end. I am hoping this is because the CM9s are bedding in.

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
*biggrin*

Nearly new QAcoustics Concept 40s for sale shortly...

i spent a lot of time this week comparing the two speakers side-by-side. It became obvious rather quickly that the CM9s were what I was looking for. They easily fill the bigger room with detail and clarity at all frequencies (well, the ones I can hear anyway).

They seem a very good match with my Onkyo pre/power amplifiers. There was a bedding in period for the CM9s and my ears. The initial brightness and seeming lack of grunt has been replaced by a rich slab of sonic loveliness. My other half even commented on "how nice" they sound and look. They also passed the topple test designed to thwart gambolling 5 year olds.

Happy days (and nights)

Tannoyed

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried piano music yet. I had a pair for a week and couldn't live with them. \\\the tweeters emitted a gravelly sound during the attack phase of each note-horrible! In all other respects they were great. I listened to 2 pairs-both were the same. I sent them back

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
but then I do not listen to solo piano music, generally. It's too late now anyway - I've had them for over a week. Very pleased with them so far.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts