B&W CM8 need carful pairing...is this a good match?

mini66

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I was told in the views here at What HiFi that B&W CM8 speakers need carful pairing...I have a Naim SuperUniti all-in-one and wondering if it was a good match? Thanks

mini66

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I have heard the CM8's linked to a Naim system and like the sound, but then I read you have to be careful with pairing amps with the CM8's...why is this?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
mini66 said:
Hi,

I was told in the views here at What HiFi that B&W CM8 speakers need carful pairing...I have a Naim SuperUniti all-in-one and wondering if it was a good match? Thanks

I can't say that I am personally very keen on a B&W/Naim pairing, but plenty people have opted for that sort of option after auditioning them together. The SuperUniti will have more than enough power for the CM8s.

mini66

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
mini66 said:
I have heard the CM8's linked to a Naim system and like the sound

With respect if you like the sound, why the question?

Why I say this is I understand the Naim SuperUniti has quite a detailed sound and wondering if CM8's are the same as that is the sort of sound I like (detailed )? thanks

Sliced Bread

I have the cm8s and I would agree that you need to be careful when matching the speakers to an amp.

Thr treble I n the cm8s can become a litle dominant at higher volumes when used with a bright amp, however it really is personal opinion. I use them with an amp that's just on thr warm side of neutral and it balances out quite nicely, however ive also heard them with the Roksan Kandy (which is not in itself bright), but the treble sounded quite hard. With that said, I knwo of a few people who use them woth bright amps and they really enjoy the sound.

I not familiar with your amp, but if it is very detailed then you might want to listen to the combination over a long period of time (preferably home demo) before you buy. Itvmight be exactly what you need, but it may also be death by detail and become fatiguing over time.

Enjoy.

Sliced Bread

I just realised that I didn't answer your question.

Yes the cm8's are detailed, especially im the midrange which I still feel is one of the best midranges in its class (that ive heard). You can get better bass for the money though, so it depends on the sound you like.

mini66

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Sliced Bread said:
I have the cm8s and I would agree that you need to be careful when matching the speakers to an amp. Thr treble I n the cm8s can become a litle dominant at higher volumes when used with a bright amp, however it really is personal opinion. I use them with an amp that's just on thr warm side of neutral and it balances out quite nicely, however ive also heard them with the Roksan Kandy (which is not in itself bright), but the treble sounded quite hard. With that said, I knwo of a few people who use them woth bright amps and they really enjoy the sound. I not familiar with your amp, but if it is very detailed then you might want to listen to the combination over a long period of time (preferably home demo) before you buy. Itvmight be exactly what you need, but it may also be death by detail and become fatiguing over time. Enjoy.

My SuperUniti has 80w is this enough to get the most out of the CM8's as I heard they require a lot of watts to get the most out of them?

Sliced Bread

mini66 said:
Sliced Bread said:
I have the cm8s and I would agree that you need to be careful when matching the speakers to an amp. Thr treble I n the cm8s can become a litle dominant at higher volumes when used with a bright amp, however it really is personal opinion. I use them with an amp that's just on thr warm side of neutral and it balances out quite nicely, however ive also heard them with the Roksan Kandy (which is not in itself bright), but the treble sounded quite hard. With that said, I knwo of a few people who use them woth bright amps and they really enjoy the sound. I not familiar with your amp, but if it is very detailed then you might want to listen to the combination over a long period of time (preferably home demo) before you buy. Itvmight be exactly what you need, but it may also be death by detail and become fatiguing over time. Enjoy.

My SuperUniti has 80w is this enough to get the most out of the CM8's as I heard they require a lot of watts to get the most out of them?
I've not heard the combination myself, though I understand that the supernait has quite a bit of current so I'm sure it should easily be enough :)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Can you audition them before buying? I would look at so others if you can as well. Rooms play a large part in the sound, so can you demo at home, make sure you have enough space for them, some floorstanders need to be a few feet away from walls otherwise they can sound boomy.

TRENDING THREADS