B&W cm1 s2’s review

Jake12988

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
Hi all.

so the story goes...

i sold all my hifi 2 years ago, monitor audio rx6, technics su a900mk2 & Cambridge Audio 340c (I know, not the best CD player but worked quite nicely)

anyway, I sold it because my neighbour retired and is always home. Being semi detached it was unfair to have the rx6’s blasting him to madness.

My wife was keen on sonos, so we got a few play 1’s around the house and I suffered them for 2 years, how I managed two years I will never know. (I realise sonos serves a purpose but it doesn’t come close to separates) I was looking at purchasing 2 play 5’s as a stereo pair, but after much demoing and thinking I felt they weren’t good enough for money you pay.

thats when I decided to persuade the wife into small hifi speakers and separates. She agreed (reluctantly)

After lots of demoing at Sevenoaks, audio t and richer, I fell for the cm1 s2’s. Paired with marantz pm6006 and cd6006.

the soundstage out of these little beauts is incredible, and for my listening room is actually much much better than the rx6’s. The detail and image is very good, you can really pick out each musicians position on the stage. Bass is surprisingly good, though limited for obvious reasons!

i know the new 700 series has just come out, but the price was too expensive for me. The cm1’s were in the sale so half the price.

Having the smaller speakers also mean I can enjoy my music when the neighbour is in, at moderate volumes the cm1’s sound great compared to the large rx6’s.

For anyone looking at standmount speakers they are worth a listen and there are still a few pairs left in the sales!

Jake12988

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
gasolin said:
Also consider Dali mentor Menu almost the same price and they also sound good

Only a bit smaller and less bass extension but 2 db more sensitivity

already got the speakers, but thanks for the heads up anyway, I actually Demo’d some Dali zensor 1’s (amongst many). I new they’d sound good based on reviews etc. But I tell you what, they were incredible for the money. I was amazed by them. They don’t need any toe in either, so they look good in a lounge setting.

But....

i Just couldn’t say no to the cm1 s2’s. They just hit the spot. Plus they look better in my lounge compared to all the others i demo’d. Which does matter (I’ve got a wife to please!)

would certainly have a listen to the dalis you mention in future though. Are they the ones that only come in that one size? I seem to remember coming across them a whole back online...

gasolin

http://www.whathifi.com/dali/mentor-menuet/review

dali_mentor_menuet_white.jpg

Jake12988

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
They look like they deserve listen,

my dads after some smaller hifi speakers to replace his q acoustics, I might take him down to Audio t to have listen at some point. Will do a review if so.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Well done on getting back to good hi fi. Ive got my dad interested in my hi fi journey and I'm trying to get him to invest in neat iota alpha speakers because he doesn't like obtrusive speakers. These neats are fantastic and I think he is sold and is going to buy some. Now he needs to get rid of his cheap technics amp!!

Squall Leonhart

Nov 21, 2016
Visit site
Jake12988 said:
They look like they deserve listen,

my dads after some smaller hifi speakers to replace his q acoustics, I might take him down to Audio t to have listen at some point. Will do a review if so.

If you want to audition something more affordable then try the Dali Opticon 1. Great speaker for £500.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts