B&W 805S v Spendor SA1

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
I demoed them both very recently and brought the 805s. The spendors are very good but im my opinion were overpriced and once i managed to find an exdem pair of the 805S it was a no brainer for me. The vocals, bass, soundstage pretty much every thing were way better on the 805S. Just my experience. I listened to both on an cyrus mono x set up (closest thing i could think of to my bel canto stuff).

A

Anonymous

Listen to them both and make up your own mind. It's the only way. I love my Spendors and they work very well in my room.

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Yeah definatly - Sorry if my post came across as an attempt to disgregard the spendors it wasn't. They are definatly worth a listen and in the right setup/environment maybe a better choice for you. But for me it was the 805S

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
I found mine for 1200 - ex dem hardly used and indistinguishable from new. Being ex dem they also came with full dealer support. I brought them from sound academy in bloxwhich where the owner was fantastic and gave excellent service. I was looking at a number of places and had offers for 1200 delivered from 2 other places so ring around and do not pay anymore as i know they are willing to deal at that price. Try acoustica (not sure where) they were one of the places i was looking at but were too far away for support. The official stands are a bit overpriced and bland in my opinion so i ended up paying 300 for a awesome looking (and massively heavy acoustic energy reference stands). However you should be able to pick the official ones up for around 200-300 used/exdem. The official stands for the spendors for that matter are also massivly expensive at 400!

so all in with stands i paid 1500. Which is the same price i would have paid for the spendors with stands.
I found one guy selling is 3 month old speakers as new with official stands - for 1400 but i could not pick them up and he couldnt deliver so that ended. So just look around is my advise and dont rush into a sale...

A

Anonymous

Only heard the SA1s. From what I gather the 805S are brighter and will go lower. But the SA1 did have a great midrange.

What's the rest of your system and what music do you listen to.

jules

A

Anonymous

SHAXOS:Yeah definatly - Sorry if my post came across as an attempt to disgregard the spendors it wasn't. They are definatly worth a listen and in the right setup/environment maybe a better choice for you. But for me it was the 805S
No not at all.

Jules is spot on. I was going to have a stab at summarizing the SA1s but then thought better of it as my reference points won't be yours. I think they're a bit more lively than prior Spendor speakers but maintaining their natural mid range. As Drummerman has stated before, treble to die for. They're not everyone's cup of tea as they can sound a bit muddled in the mids at times but that comes back to quality of amp/source and the stands you use. I believe it's for this reason that Spendor came up with their own stands for them.

Jules hit the nail on the head before when comparing them with his Dynaudio 52SE; the Spendors hypnotize you and the Dynaudios excite you. The Spendors will capture you with their rifle-bolt precision in sound staging but they may not get you dancing around. They do me though :)

Enjoy...ciao

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts