B&W 805s or Dali Mentor 2?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I decided that it is time for new blood. I have a fairly small room (30m2) and current running with B&W 602 speakers with B&W 675 sub, but I feel a upgrade is needed when listening to music . Any advice? Christian

A

Anonymous

I have not heard 805s in person, but I know that B&W speakers in that price range have a great reputation. Having said that, I'll never rule out the Mentors for an audition. Very capable speakers from what I know.
What is gonna be the source and amplification like?

A

Anonymous

A lot depends on your front end. I owned the 805S's for some time and thoguth they were great until I heard the Merlin TSM-MX. American speakers and wiped the floor with the B & W's. There are a pair going on hififorsale.com (or is it .co.uk?). These are the creme de la creme but your Amplifier and CDP and cabling must be high quality.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We tested them head-to-head in our May 2007 issue, along with the ATC SCM19s and Wilson Benesch Square Ones. Uniquely for a Group Test of this type, all four sets of speakers scored five-stars - all are excellent but in different ways. We felt the Wilson Benesch pair had the edge on all of them, but here are the For/Against and Verdicts for the whole lot:

ATC SCM19
For - Dynamic, neutrality and loudness capability; rugged build
Against - Ruthless nature won't please all
Verdict -Want to hear what they heard in the stuidio? These ATCs are the closest you'll get in this test.

B&W 805S
For - A beautifully balanced sound that works well with all types of music; excellent build and great aesthetics.
Against - They're not a tonally neutral as some.
Verdict - The oldest speakers in this test continue to be some of the best: the 805S remain very hard to beat.

Dali Mentor 2
For - Fine treble; informative, full-bodied and lively sound.
Against - Don't like very high volume levels; twin tweeter arrangement spoils proportions
Verdict - The Mentor 2s put musical enjoyment before all else; not for party volumes, though.

Wilson Benesch Square One
For - Speed, insight and dynamics are breathtakingly good; works well in a close-to-the-wall position; compact size.
Against - Finish on our review sample could be better (EDIT - WB has since addressed this)
Verdict - The Square Ones are fabulous, delivering true high-end Wilson Benesch sound for very sensible money.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts