B&W 805 Signature speakers: any info anyone?

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Does anyone have anything positive, or not so, to say about these speakers? More pertinently can anyone offer a take on how they'd fare compared to my current B&W CDM 1NT's? Would they nestle into my set-up (see below) or flounder? Oh, and it's the Tiger-liveried ones I've got my "eye" on!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
IMO I think they'd do very well indeed and they'd be a very upgrade to your CDM 1NT's

If you had the A85 on it's own my suggesston would have been straight away that you need to find a P85 or a P90 but seeing as youre able to bi-amp them then I'd say go for it
emotion-5.gif

Theyre gorgeous speakers and sound superb. They'll really sing well on the end of your Arcam gear but I think you may find that they release more of the soundstage compared to the CDM's...

What speaker cable and interconnects are you using currently? It may be worth looking at upgrading these too!

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi Dan,

Thanks for the informed reply.

I'm actually collecting them this weekend, so I'm counting down the hours until I can get them up and running.

Cables & interconnects: my speaker cable is QED 450(?), I think. Bi-wired. Connections are varied, starting off with a Chord Signature from phono amp to A85, VDH The Third between the Arcams, and then Merlin Verdi between DAC and A85, if I remember correctly. It's been awhile since I did any lurking around the rear, as it were!

Some room for upgrading the speaker cable, I think.

Cheers.

A

Anonymous

Hi Charlie, is it the diamond ones or older model. John

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson:Hi Dan,

I'm actually collecting them this weekend, so I'm counting down the hours until I can get them up and running.

Cables & interconnects: my speaker cable is QED 450(?), I think. Bi-wired. Connections are varied, starting off with a Chord Signature from phono amp to A85, VDH The Third between the Arcams, and then Merlin Verdi between DAC and A85, if I remember correctly. It's been awhile since I did any lurking around the rear, as it were!

Cheers.

No worries
emotion-5.gif

Ive seen a set recently on another forum (or it could have been via 2nd hand from a hifi shop online) in the same finish and I was VERY tempted but I know that even though my NAD will drive them; they deserve better!

IMO the Chord Epic speaker cable would be an ideal upgrade; even the Oddyssey would be a better move over the QED youve got currently. The QED's a goopd cable but for me Chord does VERY well with Arcam and B&W

I'd also look at having the same interconnects between your CDP and amps as youve got currently (if not the CD?P then deffo the amps)!

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
johnnyjazz:Hi Charlie, is it the diamond ones or older model. John

It's not the B&W diamonds.

I'm only familiar with the Diamond suffix in relation to the 802's, which are out of my league at present. One day maybe, one day.

Peace etc.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
d_a_n1979:Charlie Jefferson:Hi Dan,

Cheers.

No worries
emotion-5.gif

Ive seen a set recently on another forum (or it could have been via 2nd hand from a hifi shop online) in the same finish and I was VERY tempted but I know that even though my NAD will drive them; they deserve better!

IMO the Chord Epic speaker cable would be an ideal upgrade; even the Oddyssey would be a better move over the QED youve got currently. The QED's a goopd cable but for me Chord does VERY well with Arcam and B&W

I'd also look at having the same interconnects between your CDP and amps as youve got currently (if not the CD?P then deffo the amps)!

Hi Dan,

Yes, I agree with you on the speaker cable. I've been very tempted with the Chord Epic cable, but I'd need 10m in total, so may have to wait awhile. I presume there's a bi-wired option?

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I couldn't wait any longer, so undertook a six hour round trip to collect the 805's today. That went down really well with my half-term family!

Anyway, I've had them up and running for a couple of hours now and wow etc. . .

It's going to be one of those, "I'll just listen to one more song" nights.

The usual cliches apply:

a) hearing things I haven't heard before
b) deeper, broader soundstage
c) the music, in places, just lasts longer
d) the transition between dynamic shifts is just so much . . . "better"
e) the mid-to-lower end is teetering on the brink of becoming untethered. May need some reining in - is this possible
f) er,that's it . . .

Before I descend any further into drivel, I'll return to some actual listening.

Peace & out.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Congratulations. Lovely speakers, and I think they look and sound great. I was lusting after some but had visions of guests or kids ripping the tweeter off, and they were a bit beyond my budget. Now that they are being replaced by the 805s diamond at nearly double the price, they don't seem so expensive.

Very jealous. Enjoy!

A

Anonymous

I have the 805's for a couple of years now and still very happy with them. I am using a Marantz PM-15 S1 amp to drive them. I had the oppotunity lately to demo a Primare pre-30 / 33.2 combo at home and that made them even better. They really need power to bring the best out of them.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
pvanderlinden:I have the 805's for a couple of years now and still very happy with them. I am using a Marantz PM-15 S1 amp to drive them. I had the oppotunity lately to demo a Primare pre-30 / 33.2 combo at home and that made them even better. They really need power to bring the best out of them.

Yes, I think you may be right. It all sounds great at the moment, but when funds allow new amplification may be on the agenda.

For now, I'm going to enjoy this lovely new sound. Starting tonight with AC/DC and ending with Zappa, or something like that.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts