B&W 705S2 Signature with dual REL T9i vs B&W 702S2 Signature without sub(s)?

MartinEvoke50

Aug 30, 2020
Visit site
Newbie here, so please be gentle

Will the Bowers & Wilkins 705S2 Signature speakers with dual REL T9i subs be a better combination than just Bowers & Wilkins 702S2 Signature floor-standers without sub(s)?

Room size = 5m x 5m ( 2.9m high ceilings, Amplifier = Rotel RA1592
Music style = RAP, R&B, Hip-Hop, Reggae, Urban pop etc

Thank you

jjbomber

Is it just for music? The short answer is that the subs will improve the soundstage and low end bass. The long answer is that you really need to listen for yourself, experimenting with different positions with the sub for your room.

MartinEvoke50

Aug 30, 2020
Visit site
Is it just for music? The short answer is that the subs will improve the soundstage and low end bass. The long answer is that you really need to listen for yourself, experimenting with different positions with the sub for your room.
Thank you for responding
Yes, this is purely for music

Whilst subs have their place in some set-ups I would forget the and use the money to buy better floorstanders but it's a personal thing.
Why are you only looking at B&W?
For £3350 plus cost of speaker stands you could get some serious floorstanders

MartinEvoke50

Aug 30, 2020
Visit site
Whilst subs have their place in some set-ups I would forget the and use the money to buy better floorstanders but it's a personal thing.
I take your point and I am open to suggestions
What about the Dynaudio Evoke 50?

MartinEvoke50

Aug 30, 2020
Visit site
Pity, my suggestion means you'd have to save another £500 as the special offer price that they did have has now ended it would seem, and anyway you might have had to buy on faith as not many dealers for what I had in mind and might have bought myself if I didn't have to move my setup into a smaller room recently.
Understood and thank you for your input

rainsoothe

What about the Martin Logan Motion 60XT?
It is now hugely discounted because there is now a new model the 60XTi
They're also great, but you need to test them in your room - they might be overkill in a 5x5 space, as most floorstanders need to be kept well away from walls.

Also, I'd look at changing amplification if you go for the more expensive speakers (in the 4-5k range), as I think they'll just show the Rotel's shortcomings (good as it may be).

To my mind, I can't see the logic in trying to get sub and standmounter to work together when they weren't designed together - with a floorstander, all parts are designed to work in unison. And if you are spending at that level, you'll have plenty of upgrade headroom on the amp front.

The .2 version of the Spendor D7 is within budget. Worth a google of reviews - and my .1 versions have no trouble with a room that's 7m sq.

Reactions: Al ears

jjbomber

This would make a great test for WhatHiFi. Test a £4.500 pair of speakers, against a £3,500 pair of speakers and £1,000 subwoofer against a £2,500 pair of speakers and two £1,000 subwoofers.

Round two could be £1,000 speakers on £500 stands against £1,500 speakers on a shelf.

Round 3 is a £1,000 amplifier on a £500 rack against a £1,500 amplifier on the sideboard.

MartinEvoke50

Aug 30, 2020
Visit site
They're also great, but you need to test them in your room - they might be overkill in a 5x5 space, as most floorstanders need to be kept well away from walls.

Also, I'd look at changing amplification if you go for the more expensive speakers (in the 4-5k range), as I think they'll just show the Rotel's shortcomings (good as it may be).
Thank you

MartinEvoke50

Aug 30, 2020
Visit site
This would make a great test for WhatHiFi. Test a £4.500 pair of speakers, against a £3,500 pair of speakers and £1,000 subwoofer against a £2,500 pair of speakers and two £1,000 subwoofers.

Round two could be £1,000 speakers on £500 stands against £1,500 speakers on a shelf.

Round 3 is a £1,000 amplifier on a £500 rack against a £1,500 amplifier on the sideboard.
This could be a super test

MartinEvoke50

Aug 30, 2020
Visit site
To my mind, I can't see the logic in trying to get sub and standmounter to work together when they weren't designed together - with a floorstander, all parts are designed to work in unison. And if you are spending at that level, you'll have plenty of upgrade headroom on the amp front.

The .2 version of the Spendor D7 is within budget. Worth a google of reviews - and my .1 versions have no trouble with a room that's 7m sq.
Understood, thank you

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts