B&W 685 vs CM1 with various amps

daveredfern

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

I have been saving up for a new amp and speakers. I currently have a bunch of stuff I inherited from my grandfather and now looking to upgrade it.

I went to superfi yesterday with my heart set on the b&w 685 speakers with an arcam a19. Both receive rave reviews on What HiFi. The guys at the shop were really helpful and setup the combination to try. I was quite surprised at how neutral (or flat) the sound was, almost muffled.

I decided to try some other amps including the arcam a29, the model above the a19, which was better (more bass) but still not great. I then tried a Quad vena which was signifcantly better sounding to my ears but felt it was very harsh and would get annoying after a while.

I know that b&w and rotel work together so tried the 685 s2 with the ra-12. This was by far the best combination. In the off chance I then asked about the B&W cm-1 speakers. He set them up with the ra-12 amp and wow. Up until this moment nothing was exciting me, but this combination immediately put a smile on my face - obviously a good sign.

So to recape:

b&w 685 s2 with arcam a19 - neutral and flat sound
b&w 685 s2 with arcam a29 - bit more punchy but meh
b&w 685 s2 with quad vena - quite harsh sounded
b&w 685 s2 with rotel ra-12 - nice warm sound
b&w cm-1 with rotel ra-12 - warm, clear and smiley dave

I am not expert and I guess a lot comes down to personal opinion. I was wondering if there are any other combinations people recommend to try. I am quite set on b&w speakers but I am open to trying anything.

I am keen to try the b&w cm-1 with the arcam a19 to see if the speaker change makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.

Dave.

The cm 1 s2's are in a different league from the 685's hence the reason they put a smile on your face . I've heard both sets of speakers with arcam and naim amplification and the cm1's were by far the best out of the two and I was very underwhelmed by the 685s2's after owning the first 685 for a few years and then a fine pair of cm5's .I don't think the 685s2 are worth the 500 quid asking price.imho.

Mark Rose-Smith said:
The cm 1 s2's are in a different league from the 685's hence the reason they put a smile on your face . I've heard both sets of speakers with arcam and naim amplification and the cm1's were by far the best out of the two and I was very underwhelmed by the 685s2's after owning the first 685 for a few years.I don't think they're a 500 quid speaker imo.

Funny that. I preferred the sound of my old 685s to the S2's as well. You are correct the CMs are a different level again.

Mine were on the end of a Roksan pre-power combo.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I also had the CM1 powered by Roksan, in my case the K2 BT. Definitely a smile on my face with that combo. The CM1's love power and want to be driven loud to shine.

daveredfern

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm glad you're all saying the CM1's are a lot better. With the 5* review on the 685's I was worried I was missing something!

Looks like the Roksan is a favourite. The shop sells that so will have to give it a try.

I assume the only difference between the Kandy K2 and K2 BT is one has bluetooth?

Thanks,

Dave.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts