B&W 685 Theatre system, Worth the wait?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

So i ordered the B&W 685 theatre system in early march and was informed i would prob get early April Delivery but this has not happend. Seems like the retailer cannot get an answer from B&W as to when there next delivery might be.

So my question is, is the B&W system worth the wait? or should i go for something else. Must be a similar price to the B&Ws and take into account the fact i only have a Yamaha DSP AX763 so not as much power as i would like. Maybe an upgrade is required on the amp for more power, although i must say the Yamaha is excellent.

Any ideas would be appreciated

Thanks

A

Anonymous

IMO yes without a shadow of a doubt.

Have mine hooked up to a Onkyo 876. Sounds amazing.

A

Anonymous

exellent but i have 685s front and back on a pioneer lx71

A

Anonymous

Yes
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks all for your replies. Spoke to the retailer and the sub and centre have arrived so i will pick them up today who knows when the fronts and rears will arrive

A

Anonymous

For what its worth I have a B & W 684 Theatre Package and am very very happy with it, anyway it might be worth you contacting B & W direct and explain your situation. Lucky for me they could not supply the ASW610 sub and they sent me the ASW610XP so you never know.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Is this stuff really that sought after? I bought my 685 Theatre in October - just went down tottenham court road, asked the guy what his best price was and 15 minutes later walked out with everything (bar, the sub, which he had in stock) at 25% off RRP.

A

Anonymous

I have very recently purchased some B&W kit - 2 x 685's, a FPM4 (to be used for the centre) and an ASW608 Sub. On purpose I have put together a bit of hybrid between a conventional music hifi centre and a home theatre as it will play as much music as it plays flicks. I have listened to quite a few speaker demos in the last couple of months and within my budget Bowers and Wilkins really stood out. The quality was accompanied by flexibility as I had assumed that the B&W Theatre was a one stop box product.

For my situation the HTM62 Centre that "comes with" the Theatre was rather bulky and not as good looking as the black FPM4 which even comes with a wall mount kit for horizontal positioning. Finding rear speakers just plain annoying I was again delighted to discover that all the speakers in the Theatre package could be bought individually. It occurs to me that the misapprehension of having to buy a complete set package might be shared by others, who as I have done recently are to take first steps into a more sophisticated set up.

So in reply: Due to their sound, build quality and price I believe they are well worth hanging on for. My advice would be to telephone round the dealers, one might have the Sub and the Fronts and somebody else the rest of what you want. The firm I used in Canterbury did have full stock of the 600 range yesterday although he said that he was getting low on the 685's. Don't be put off if one of the dealers tells you that there are none in the country as did the first shop I spoke to, I guess he had no stock and just wanted to off-load something else.

Like Guinness, "all good things come to those that wait".

A

Anonymous

Rugby,

I have the 685 Theatre System and I can assure you that you have done the right thing by hanging on for them. You'll find that they are quite "tight" when you first hear them out of the box and can seem a little "trebbly" (?) give them a good 40 to 50 hours running in time and you'll be grinning from ear to ear........enjoy!!

Jazzead

A

Anonymous

Jazzead,

Thanks, well pleased already...superb with music even the MP3 stuff on my sons iPod connected to the Amp via the DMPort and the SQ with Blu-ray material is outstanding. At this rate the speakers will very soon have done 40 to 50 hours runnung in!

Regards

RugbyNewz

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts