B&W 685 or Rega RS 1 for Cambridge audio system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm looking for a set of speakers for my Cambridge Audio 840 V2 amp and Cambridge Audio 840c CD-player/DAC.

I've tested Monitor Audio -something-, Dynaudio Excite -something- and Dali Ikon 6 MK2.
All were too bright, the first two in a particular aggressive and nasty way.

Now I'm considering either B&W 685 or Rega RS 1.

Any thoughts on this?

Best,
Henrik

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Castle Knight 2

They have been slightly criticised (in some quarters) for being 'polite', but praised by others for lack of agression and a smooth balance. (Just what you might need.)

All the reviews praise them for good soundstage and taut bass. (And impeccable finish.)

I have heard them and would have bought them a year ago (if my Rega R3s had not been available for a bargain price from a friend).

hbuus said:
I'm looking for a set of speakers for my Cambridge Audio 840 V2 amp and Cambridge Audio 840c CD-player/DAC. I've tested Monitor Audio -something-, Dynaudio Excite -something- and Dali Ikon 6 MK2. All were too bright, the first two in a particular aggressive and nasty way. Now I'm considering either B&W 685 or Rega RS 1. Any thoughts on this? Best, Henrik

What's your room acoustics like? If you a refective listening area, that won't flatter the Cambridge. I would seriously look at Epos. No idea about their new ranges but the M12is were/are fantastic: If they can tame Cyrus they should Cambridge.

A

Anonymous

chebby said:
Castle Knight 2

They have been slightly criticised (in some quarters) for being 'polite', but praised by others for lack of agression and a smooth balance. (Just what you might need.)

All the reviews praise them for good soundstage and taut bass. (And impeccable finish.)

I have heard them and would have bought them a year ago (if my Rega R3s had not been available for a bargain price from a friend).

I can't find any Castle Knight dealer near me (Denmark)

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin said:
What's your room acoustics like? If you a refective listening area, that won't flatter the Cambridge. I would seriously look at Epos. No idea about their new ranges but the M12is were/are fantastic: If they can tame Cyrus they should Cambridge.

I'm not sure how relective my listening area is.
It's a typical 18 m2 living room with a dinner table + chars, a sofa and an armchair.

Btw. I mostly listen to classical music, if that's important.

hbuus said:
plastic penguin said:

I'm not sure how relective my listening area is. It's a typical 18 m2 living room with a dinner table + chars, a sofa and an armchair. Btw. I mostly listen to classical music, if that's important.

Do you have carpets, curtains etc etc?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
hbuus said:
I can't find any Castle Knight dealer near me (Denmark)

Ok.

You like classical music.

You want standmounted/bookshelf speakers of a similar size to Rega RS1s or B&W 685s.

You also have a lot of power available from your CA 840 V2 amplifier.

You live in Denmark.

You have a small room.

I am going to suggest the classic Spendor S3/5R2 http://www.spendoraudio.com/HTML/S35R2_main.htmlspeakers. Very refined, excellent soundstaging and your CA 840 V2 has plenty of power for them. They are available in Denmark.

The DK distributor is...

http://www.exoticaudio.dk/

A

Anonymous

chebby said:
I am going to suggest the classic Spendor S3/5R2 http://www.spendoraudio.com/HTML/S35R2_main.htmlspeakers. Very refined, excellent soundstaging and your CA 840 V2 has plenty of power for them. They are available in Denmark.

The DK distributor is...

http://www.exoticaudio.dk/

That's a very good suggestion, but it's something I will have to save money for for a long time.
These are very expensive speakers to me.
My budget is around 540 euros for speakers, then 200 euros for stands.

A

Anonymous

John Duncan said:
Does the Dali Mentor Menuet fit your budget? Seems to from what I can gather of Danish prices, and must be better value in Denmark than Rega or B&W?

It's higher than my budget, but I can stretch it if those speakers turn out to be just to my liking.

Danish prices are:
B&W 685: 538 euros
Rega RS 1 black: 591 euros
Dali Mentor Menuet: 888 euros

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts