B&W 685 or KEF Q300 for pm6004

alializadeh

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
hi

i have now 2B&W M1's, but i'm not really happy with the setup, it's to weak to my opinion, the bass specially.

i have found a costumer for my 2 M1's, and i want to sell them, what sould i get ? 685?or Q300?

i was also thinking to buy a external suwoofer (asw 608) for the M1's and don't sell them.

what do you guys suggest?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The M's weren't really designed to be used without a subwoofer, so I'm not surprised you're finding things a little weak. You could add a sub, but there's no dedicated subwoofer output from the 6004, and if you picked up a sub with speaker cable in/outs and utilised those, you'll be compromising the M1's sound quality. On top of that, getting the balance right between the sub and sats can be tricky.
The 685's will be the nearest thing to the sound of the M1's, but you'll need to try the 685's with the PM6004 to be sure of how well they work together. KEF themselves use Marantz amplification for their loudspeakers at demos and shows, and used the 6003 for the Q100 and Q300 at the launch last year. There does seem to be a synergy between the two, but it'll be down to you as to whether the Marantz/B&W combo can imitate that synergy.

alializadeh

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
ok, if i'm getting this right

sell the M1' for sure, en choose between the KEF Q300 and B&W685 by for example listening a demo with them.

but i was wondering witch speaker suits the best with the pm6004, knowing the Q300 have won 2011 award :p

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
alializadeh said:
ok, if i'm getting this right

sell the M1' for sure, en choose between the KEF Q300 and B&W685 by for example listening a demo with them.

Sound plan. Remember to factor in price of decent speaker stands too

alializadeh

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
yes, i was wondering to get them, but there is 1 problem: space XD

i'm in a student dorm and it's not too spacy here, that's one 1 of the reasons why i got the M1's, but now, they sound ok, but not match the amount of money that i put in the system, it's a tricky case. if i buy the 685's, i have no choise by putting them on my desk or the windowsill.

i if i'm right, the 6855 should have anough space from the back, an other problem.

so you can see why i'm confused a bit, for selling them..

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
if you have near £400 but that has to get stands try having a listen some monitor audio speakers i had to push all my monitor audios onto home cinema dutys as i find them unbalanced with leading towards a bassy sound which loads of people like. I think the bx2s are current favs. or if budget goes rx1s. If money can be saved and you love the B&W sound try the cm1s £500 but the top notes are miles better the 685s and the balance and smooth sound is awesome.

all the best

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
alializadeh said:
yes, i was wondering to get them, but there is 1 problem: space XD

i'm in a student dorm and it's not too spacy here, that's one 1 of the reasons why i got the M1's, but now, they sound ok, but not match the amount of money that i put in the system, it's a tricky case. if i buy the 685's, i have no choise by putting them on my desk or the windowsill.

You could either try the R100 (there will be a promo when stock is available) for £500, which are smaller, but better, or try the new Neat Iota, which are designed for those where space is a premium. Great little speaker.

alializadeh

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
absolutky, i was also wondering matbe get the CM1's, but they cost 400euros here for a piece, are they not expensive for there performence? the 685's would be perfect, but size.... does matter unfortunatly.

stevieray

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
i have the Q500's and am running them on a NAD C355BEE amp and NAD C542 cd player, is the marantz pm and cd 6004's a upgrade? I'm looking for more dynamics and clarity/ detail... what do you think? Or is it worth the jump to audiolab???

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I have no doubt the Marantz combo will give you what you're looking for, but whether it's worth making that side step quality-wise is another matter. If you're going to change, it's always best to make it worthwhile. The Audiolab combo, along with giving you the change you're looking for, will also represent quite a step up. Would you be looking at just changing the amp, or both units?

Do get a demo if you can though :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts