B&W 685 - Not powerful enough... any suggestions?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I bought some B&W 685's and a NAD C356BEE and the sound I'm getting is not what I thought it would be. If I crank up the volume to about half way, the speakers just distort with the bass rattling the speakers to a near death experience.

I listen to House music which it seems these speakers cannot handle. I've moved the speakers away from the wall etc and plugged the ports although this is not what I want to do really as I actually like heavy bass with huge big kick drums.

I need bookshelf speakers as I have vinyl record cabinets that run all the way around my room, the speakers sit isolated on top of the cabinets along with turntables etc.

Any suggestions?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
You need a more capable system. Most amplifiers are outputting their maximum or near maximum output at the half way point, so you're not leaving your amplifier much breathing space, so it won't have the headroom to reproduce dynamic swings in music. Chances are, you're pushing the speakers too hard too. Again, you need speakers that are powerful enough to take what you're going to get your amplifier to throw at them.

One thing to add is that when you're playing at high volumes, use the tone defeat/direct control - any added bass or treble will exaggerate the problems you're getting, and is a fast track to blown drivers. If you want heavy bass, you really should have floorstanders.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
You need a more capable system. Most amplifiers are outputting their maximum or near maximum output at the half way point, so you're not leaving your amplifier much breathing space, so it won't have the headroom to reproduce dynamic swings in music. Chances are, you're pushing the speakers too hard too. Again, you need speakers that are powerful enough to take what you're going to get your amplifier to throw at them.

One thing to add is that when you're playing at high volumes, use the tone defeat/direct control - any added bass or treble will exaggerate the problems you're getting, and is a fast track to blown drivers. If you want heavy bass, you really should have floorstanders.

I thought a NAD C356BEE & 685's were a capable system! It was reading reviews on here that steered me to buy them as both were highly recommended partnered together. I'm not in a position to have floorstanders so whatever I have has to be sat on sideboard units as mentioned above.

Any suggestions of something more powerful?

Thanks

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
As I mentioned in my reply to your duplicate thread below:

Isolated or otherwise your speakers are not going to sound anywhere near their best placed on cabinets, particularly at high volumes with heavy thumping bass. I doubt it's your speakers that are rattling, more like the cabinet that they are sat on.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
I would suggest making sure that the tone controls are set to neutral to lessen the bass boom.

The speakers need to be well fixed to the cabintes, 'Blu-Tak' should do the trick.

Make sure that the cabinets are secure and sound and that anything that can vibrate, is removed from the cabinets that hold your speakers, or secured.

Those are fairly cheap fixes. A heavy curtain or drape on the wall, behind your listening position might reduce any bass reflections.

Speaker distortion can be reduced by using more powerful amplifiers or better designed speakers also, but that is expensive. You could consider a sub?

One option would be to get a used NAD power amplifier and bi-amp the speakers.

A

Anonymous

i have my tannoy mecurys on my sideboard unit and the cupboard doors were rattling so i purchased some non slip car dash matting from halfords cut to the size of my speakers and now the rattling has stopped .. probably wont work for most but i noticed the difference

A

Anonymous

I would look to get your b&Ws on some stands, make room if you have to, dont change anything until you hear them at there best.

A

Anonymous

If your speakers are rattleing and booming it's because they need room to breath a bit, having a shelf behind or above them will seriously hold them back, see if you can get a dealer to lend you some stand's and try it for yourself, if this does not work i would look at a pair of kef Q100's, they are front ported and may help, forget the Q300's they are huge, id love to see them on a book shelf, just my thought's.

A

Anonymous

cmk said:
I bought some B&W 685's and a NAD C356BEE and the sound I'm getting is not what I thought it would be. If I crank up the volume to about half way (...)

Glad I'm not your neighbour :)

T

the record spot

cmk said:
I bought some B&W 685's and a NAD C356BEE and the sound I'm getting is not what I thought it would be. If I crank up the volume to about half way, the speakers just distort with the bass rattling the speakers to a near death experience.

I listen to House music which it seems these speakers cannot handle. I've moved the speakers away from the wall etc and plugged the ports although this is not what I want to do really as I actually like heavy bass with huge big kick drums.

I need bookshelf speakers as I have vinyl record cabinets that run all the way around my room, the speakers sit isolated on top of the cabinets along with turntables etc.

Any suggestions?

I must admit to never having been impressed with the 685; heard it a few times and it's never been anything but lumpen and leaden footed in performance (this usually in hifi shops) and I'm not surprised you're getting this now, even with the positioning which is probably less than ideal. The amp's not shy of power, so you should be fine, but if you really want to give it some well, have a think about some active speakers or some KEF R100s, which I think would give you nearer the sound you're after without the boom.

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano

Driven properly and supported on dedicated stands, there is no reason why the 685s should be boomy. This is a plight suffered by the smaller 686, but I've listened to 685s extensively, including here at home, and I've never failed to be impressed by their cohesion, musicality, detail and control.

They need very good stands. Think Partington Dreadnought or B&W's own stands as an absolute minimum. The B&Ws (like many speakers) need careful placement in relation to room boundaries and the listening position to give their best and it is worth experimenting to get it right. Sticking them on a cabinet or side-board and hoping for the best isn't going to do them any favours.

Yes, the 685s are now a long established model but I've heard a lot of speakers around that price and I've not heard anything which would shame the B&Ws, including the KEF Q300s.

On a slightly different note, you are asking for some pretty high volume levels there. Might be time to think about the health of your ears....

A

Anonymous

Sorry, it just look's like some huge pipe that you might smoke some marley through.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
To the OP, it might sound strange but I would look at second hand older speakers. Ideally ones from the 70 or 80's with 8-10 inch drivers and fairly high output. This would give you a warmer sounding larger scale sound. I have some older Pioneer CS speakers with larger woofers and they are great. You wouldn't necessarily need to play these at high volumes as you get a big sound even at low volumes. You could always try some Klipsch speakers like I have in my sig (need plenty of burn in time) but would easily cope with what you want. There are not many new bookshelf speakers with LF drivers larger than 6.5 inches. Maybe Dynaudio speakers. I would also consider a different amp, second hand but with plenty of power. What about the AE 22 Actives and forget the amp?

A

Anonymous

jimm said:
I would look to get your b&Ws on some stands, make room if you have to, dont change anything until you hear them at there best.

Sounds like good advice... Cabinets are solid and full of vinyl, they can't rattle and the speakers are fully isolated as I have turntables on the cabinets also.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

cmk said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:

I thought a NAD C356BEE & 685's were a capable system! It was reading reviews on here that steered me to buy them as both were highly recommended partnered together. I'm not in a position to have floorstanders so whatever I have has to be sat on sideboard units as mentioned above.

Any suggestions of something more powerful?

Thanks

Speakers are properly isolated and the cabintes cannot ratte. They're full of vinyl and probably weighs 2 ton. Thanks anyway

A

Anonymous

bluedroog said:
Maybe these would be more appropaite for you? http://www.cerwinvega.com/ less 'hi-fi' but will give you the volume and bass you're looking for. They also sound better than many 'bass bins'.

I did look at these... maybe should have looked a little closer! Thanks

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
cmk said:

Any suggestions?

That system will give you nothing near what your asking of it.

A more powerfull amp will drive those B&W to respectable levels but you'll never get the bass you're looking for from what are basically a budget set up.

This may sound crazy but you'd be better off selling the "hi fi" and buying one of those Turbo Super dynamic plastic things which play music the way you discribe. Seriously...they play music on the edge of distortion and can be strangely exciting to listen to.

The kit you have is refined and not really designed for bashing out tunes,,,,

Dave2860

May 18, 2011
Visit site
i got bose 301's they're so called bookshelfs you wont get the quality of the b&w but they are powerful and in the right room have bags of bass. Yes there bose, dont cry

jakesterboy

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
It might be worth getting your speakers or amp checked by a technician to make sure they are working as they should, audible distortion is a pretty extreme situation to find with a quality hi-fi system. The B&W 685 speakers are capable of playing loud in a domestic environment, and should not boom providing they are positioned away from corners or walls, and perhaps try experimenting with the foam bungs that come with them as an accessory?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts