B&W 683/684 vs. Monitor Audio RX6/RX8

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Ok, so let me try and keep this short....

In the market for new sound system from the ground up. Not going to go full home theatre now, just amp and two floor speakers. After much (seriously, more than a year) deliberation and testing the challange is FINALLY been shortlisted. So, herewith some questions to help me finalise it all.

The Amp that is pretty much decided on (but you are welcome to comment) is the Onkyo TX-NR708

Now the problem - which speakers? Listened to B&W and love them - but when I went for the final audition to decided between 683/684 the shop keeper (bless him!) confused the whole thing by introducing me to Monitor Audio RX6! BRILLIANT!!

So, I find both the 683 and rx6 quite heavy on the base and I was told by shop keeper that at times it can be out of control, especially in open plan house with lots of tiles (pretty much my place....) So, what do the experts think of this? Should I worry about the base thing??

683 was so close to RX6 and now do you think the 684 might be a bit less basey? Surely one can control the base? They are both so full of life and full of sound... my Steve Tyrell CD was a joy to listen to and when we moved to Chris Rea, WOW it just came alive! Both the 683 and RX6.... RX6 sounds bery together.....

So, do you think the Amp is a good choice and also then on the speakers, what do you think between these 4 options. I know that my ear is the most important deciding factor, and that between these two brands there is no wrong choice as they are both great....

So go on, share some insights! Let it just be said that I am more inclined to listen to music (CD's) and music BlueRay's than movies.

A

Anonymous

When I had a demo of the RX6 I found the bass to be very nicely controlled. I was certainly impressed with them anyway. I can't comment on the B&W's though as I haven't heard any of their newer speakers.

A

Anonymous

I have had both brands of speaker and for me the monitor audio rx6's are excellent value for money and would be my choice, the bowers and wilkins are good but as stated they become very bassy and they need a lot of room to breath, the monitor audios finish is excellent and pair with the right amp will sound superb, if i were you i would demo some more amps with the speakers of your choice, i personally would be listening to yamaha,marantz and denon amps which i feel are better for music..

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the help! Will be doing another demo with the speakers connected to the Onkyo amp..... hope I can solve this in the week!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts