Question B&W 607 . Worth upgrading to?

jonathanbruce@me

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Hello. I'm moving rooms in my house into a bigger room. 15m (50ft) by 25m (82ft). My Hifi will be moving as well but I'm also considering doing un upgrade. With auditioning speakers a problem, due to covid-19 restrictions, I'm looking to upgrade to sound staging and for the new bigger room. Would these B&W 607 be worth upgrading to , from my existing Dali Zensor 1 I'm currently using. Would love to know everyones thoughts on this. Maybe even suggest other alternatives. Thanks in advance.

jonathanbruce@me

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I would agree that they would be an upgrade, but that's not a room that's an auditorium and those speakers are not going to fill it.
Considered headphones?? :)
Thank you for replying . I do have headphones and as this is my HiFi for listening to when I'm not working it doesn't need to fill the whole room. It's a good thing I'm in a detached old Edwardian house. What other speakers would you recommend ?
I absolutely LOVE my Dali IO6 Headphones, and took a risk in not auditioning them but they are fantastic, although I don't push them too far.
The other side of my new room is all decked out with my business equipment which easily fills the room with sound, mostly Yamaha and Steinberg equipment as I'm having to work from home ATM.

So where are your speakers in relationship to your listening seat?
I suggest you go and audition some as it's going to be difficult recommending anything in that size of room even though I don't know of many Georgian houses of that size although I do wish I had it. Thought my old Victorian house was an ideal size and definitely miss it.

You definitely need to borrow some speakers, preferably in the 88dB sensitivity and above range, and an amplifier with at least 100watt rating imo. Unless you’re content with modest volume levels, it’ll take some serious power to fill a room like that.
If you can upload a picture or two (not that easy here, I’ve found) it might give us a bit more to go on. I recall a thread, here or maybe a different forum, with somebody in a converted church, and that was a challenge!

jonathanbruce@me

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
You definitely need to borrow some speakers, preferably in the 88dB sensitivity and above range, and an amplifier with at least 100watt rating imo. Unless you’re content with modest volume levels, it’ll take some serious power to fill a room like that.
If you can upload a picture or two (not that easy here, I’ve found) it might give us a bit more to go on. I recall a thread, here or maybe a different forum, with somebody in a converted church, and that was a challenge!
I tried to upload a picture but it failed, twice.. it was two rooms but now I've had the wall taken out to make one big room. I might have over egged the dimensions a bit, (15m x 20m not 25m) but it's still a huge room. I'm not sure of the wattage of the PM6006 but have only ever had the volume at about 25% for the Zensor 1 I use.
On RicherSounds these B&W speakers seem to be cheap at £329 compared to the 606 which are expensive in comparison.
I'm content to have moderate sound levels in the room anyway since one end the room will be for entertainment use only once the workmen have finished the job. I've got to then install all my studio kit first so have some time to figure out what needs changing to my own hifi setup

Last edited:

manicm

Hello. I'm moving rooms in my house into a bigger room. 15m (50ft) by 25m (82ft). My Hifi will be moving as well but I'm also considering doing un upgrade. With auditioning speakers a problem, due to covid-19 restrictions, I'm looking to upgrade to sound staging and for the new bigger room. Would these B&W 607 be worth upgrading to , from my existing Dali Zensor 1 I'm currently using. Would love to know everyones thoughts on this. Maybe even suggest other alternatives. Thanks in advance.

Try the 606, and since you have the space, position them 40cm away from each wall.

Ideally I would replace your PM6006 with something that has a bit more grunt.

In any case you’ll want to play around with your listening position that suits you and your better half.

Reactions: jonathanbruce@me

jonathanbruce@me

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Hello Everybody.
I was able to pop in to Richer Sounds last Thursday with an appointment.. They really are very helpful and very knowledgable. I came out very happy and have just ordered the Focal Aria 906 after hearing them. They sound amazing on my amp at home and deliver astounding bass without cranking them up too far, also I can toe them in if needed. I was able to try both classical music AND electronic bass heavy music and very happy with my choice. I did try the B&W607 but to me was slightly disappointed with the dynamic range.
My next purchase, probably next year, will be a new CD player to replace my ageing Marantz CD-67.
I did pickup an Ortofon 2M Red cartridge also.
So I'm very happy after.
My Massive Attack 2012 Blue Lines - Mix / Master Album sounds superb. I have a neighbour who is a DJ and he couldn't tell that it was Vinyl....What a Compliment !!

Reactions: rainsoothe
Hello Everybody.
I was able to pop in to Richer Sounds last Thursday with an appointment.. They really are very helpful and very knowledgable. I came out very happy and have just ordered the Focal Aria 906 after hearing them. They sound amazing on my amp at home and deliver astounding bass without cranking them up too far, also I can toe them in if needed. I was able to try both classical music AND electronic bass heavy music and very happy with my choice. I did try the B&W607 but to me was slightly disappointed with the dynamic range.
My next purchase, probably next year, will be a new CD player to replace my ageing Marantz CD-67.
So I'm very happy after.
My Massive Attack 2012 Blue Lines - Mix / Master Album sounds superb. I have a neighbour who is a DJ and he couldn't tell that it was Vinyl....What a Compliment !!
Good to hear about your speakers, possibly less so about your cartridge..... :cool:

rainsoothe

Hello Everybody.
So I'm very happy after.
Congrats, the Aria are amazing speakers, imo.

Reactions: jonathanbruce@me

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts