B&W 606S2 and 706S2, what`s the difference?

gisgillen

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
Hi, and just briefly. Just got rid of my B&W XT 4`s as I`ve moved to a smaller place. I`m considering one of the two options. What on earth is the difference? Apart from the fact the 706`s are twice the price. Specs are identical, just about, although the 706`s have a Soft-Dome Tweeter as opposed to the 606`s Dome Tweeter, whatever that means? Even the same size, and they look the same. My amp and CD player are the Cambridge Audio Azur 651A and 651C. Transcriptors turntable. Many thanks

insider9

Hi, I haven't heard speakers in question but have heard both your amp and CD player in my listening room over a few week period. My suggestion would be to take a more holistic approach to your upgrades as either of the speakers in question should show up limitations of your electronics. And don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the amp for its musicality, CD wasn't my bag but the speakers are just more capable than either of your components. Sorry to bring a downer to the thread early on. Just hoping you avoid frustration and expense.

Hi, and just briefly. Just got rid of my B&W XT 4`s as I`ve moved to a smaller place. I`m considering one of the two options. What on earth is the difference? Apart from the fact the 706`s are twice the price. Specs are identical, just about, although the 706`s have a Soft-Dome Tweeter as opposed to the 606`s Dome Tweeter, whatever that means? Even the same size, and they look the same. My amp and CD player are the Cambridge Audio Azur 651A and 651C. Transcriptors turntable. Many thanks
Carbon dome tweeter??

Last edited:
OK, I will. Are they worth double?? Thanks
This review attempts to answer this Question.

This sidebar report explains how the cheaper aluminium tweeter is inferior, but carefully crafted. AFAIK all the new 600 range have the same tweeter; it just so happens this was the floorstanding model.

ProgDr

Jan 25, 2021
Visit site
If you ever listened to the 606 next to a 606s2 you would hear a huge difference and that was simply down to a component change on the crossover. The 706 is tighter in the bass and less agressive at high frequencies. For me using them as surrounds on an AV system it simply wasnt worth the extra but if they were my main source of listening... I probably would have spent the extra.

Reactions: Al ears

gisgillen

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
Wow, thanks so much for your replies. The review of the 606 against the 706 was really interesting. Think however I`m gonna get the 606 S2 Anniversary Edition. I borrowed them today from the local hi fi shop (very nice) and in my new flat they sound fantastic. Maybe the 706 would be even better but certainly for me they are fantastic. And half the price. Many, many thanks to you all.

Reactions: Al ears and ProgDr
Wow, thanks so much for your replies. The review of the 606 against the 706 was really interesting. Think however I`m gonna get the 606 S2 Anniversary Edition. I borrowed them today from the local hi fi shop (very nice) and in my new flat they sound fantastic. Maybe the 706 would be even better but certainly for me they are fantastic. And half the price. Many, many thanks to you all.
Glad you managed to audition and made a decision based on that. It's the only way to go.
We can spout all we like about the relative performance of speakers but until you have actually heard the same thing and approve all our output is meaningless.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts