B&w 606s2 amp

RenoSteve

Jan 12, 2022
Visit site
Does anyone know if a Cambridge CX81 will sufficiently power B&W 606s2's. Eating terrible pre-amp, amp components purchased from England. Everything I read says need 200 watts or better to adequately power B&W's.

Does anyone know if a Cambridge CX81 will sufficiently power B&W 606s2's. Eating terrible pre-amp, amp components purchased from England. Everything I read says need 200 watts or better to adequately power B&W's.
Don't know where you read that, please exactly where you saw this.
B&W themselves suggest 30-120wpc as recommended power from an amplifier.
Certainly have no idea what you mean by ' eating terrible preamp ' etcetera.....
the CX81 will have adequate power.
Please expand ....
Do you own either amp or speakers.?

Last edited:

RenoSteve

Jan 12, 2022
Visit site
New here sorry.
I used the crown amphlipher calculator. Before used the standard the 1.5 x min to the stated speaker requirement.
The "eating it" ment I got taken by unscrupulous direct sell junk, $1000 I will never get back.

Currently 606s2's anniversary, turntable Fluance RT84, the amps are IOTA.
Speakers are rated for 140 at 8 oms.

New here sorry.
I used the crown amphlipher calculator. Before used the standard the 1.5 x min to the stated speaker requirement.
The "eating it" ment I got taken by unscrupulous direct sell junk, $1000 I will never get back.

Currently 606s2's anniversary, turntable Fluance RT84, the amps are IOTA.
Speakers are rated for 140 at 8 oms.
Sounds like that calculator need a recalibrating... Perhaps reading manufacturers recommendations might prove more beneficial.
So why are you interested in a British amplifier like the CX81?
Though I notice your speakers are also British and turntable is Canadian...
All good so far but the Cambridge doesn't have an inbuilt phono stage so maybe not a good choice for your turntable.
Would be interested to hear what direct sell junk you got taken by so other forum members can avoid similar issues.

Last edited:

RenoSteve

Jan 12, 2022
Visit site
Was thinking a AB amp would be best particularly since the IOTA SA3 preamp & PA3 power amp were such a disappointment, bi-amped 50 watts each. My experience was horrific, ghosted, half written emails etc. The product is poor, going through a PayPal claim now.
I have a string of probably 50 gmails & text over the last 2 months. It irrates me that I fell into that.
Now just want something I'm sure will power the B&W's but still not sure if will like them, the IOTA equipment does not represent what they can do, hopefully.

RenoSteve

Jan 12, 2022
Visit site
Don't know where you read that, please exactly where you saw this.
B&W themselves suggest 30-120wpc as recommended power from an amplifier.
Certainly have no idea what you mean by ' eating terrible preamp ' etcetera.....
the CX81 will have adequate power.
Please expand ....
Do you own either amp or speakers.?

RenoSteve

Jan 12, 2022
Visit site
Used the amphlipher calculator from Crown. It takes the distance, speaker sensitivity, desired listening dB, headspace. Used a dB app to determine listening level.. Seems to very greatly any movement i.e. 1 meter distance, 1db sensitivity, 1 degree headspace. Calculated to 75 amps but the school of thought seem to be 1 1/2 to 2× the base rating. Did I get that wrong?

Used the amphlipher calculator from Crown. It takes the distance, speaker sensitivity, desired listening dB, headspace. Used a dB app to determine listening level.. Seems to very greatly any movement i.e. 1 meter distance, 1db sensitivity, 1 degree headspace. Calculated to 75 amps but the school of thought seem to be 1 1/2 to 2× the base rating. Did I get that wrong?
I am not too sure what volume you intend to listen at but that calculator appears to give strange results. The 75 wpc on its own is a bit high.
Stick to manufacturers recommendation would be my suggestion

Reactions: RenoSteve

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts