B & W 603 S2

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi I hope you can help,

While browsing in my local hifi shop cam a cross a pair of B & W 603 s2 in black. The general condition of the floor standers are in pretty good condition except for a small circle on top caused by some thing hot like a small cup only faint. They don't come with any covers which is a shame when you got kids. The seller was asking for £150 is this a good price?

Can i purchase the covers on there own any internet address?

The seller could get some for £30 pounds each ?

Can or should I ask for a demo first?

I hope somebody can help

Don Jr

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
Are you considering this purchase because you don't have speakers? Here's what I would do, but I don't have kids so this is just me. I would ask the shop if you can demo them for a day. There's no doubt they're run in, so all you have to worry about is system synergy. If they meet your criteria, leave them in your car when you go back to the shop (my American upbringing shining through here), and ask the salesman what he's willing to accept for the speakers. If he won't budge on the price, apologize and walk to your car to get the speakers. There's no way he's going to let you walk out of the shop without negotiating a lower price, especially without grills.

T

the record spot

chaggs1:
Hi I hope you can help,

While browsing in my local hifi shop cam a cross a pair of B & W 603 s2 in black. The general condition of the floor standers are in pretty good condition except for a small circle on top caused by some thing hot like a small cup only faint. They don't come with any covers which is a shame when you got kids. The seller was asking for £150 is this a good price?

Can i purchase the covers on there own any internet address?

The seller could get some for £30 pounds each ?

Can or should I ask for a demo first?

I hope somebody can help

Ask to try them out at home, check with B&W (email their service dept and either get a direct quote, or ask them for the nearest B&W dealer to do the same) and find out the cost for two replacement grilles. £60 for two seems steep to me, but they may not have any spares at B&W. Worth checking.

A

Anonymous

The series 3 speakers are much better. You should be able to get stand mount 602S3's for less than 200 quid on ebay with covers. 603's are floor standing and are less popular (as they are a bit too bassy for hi-fi but great for home cinema fronts) so you should be able to get them for less.

This might be a reasonable deal if you could live without grills but I'm sure you could get them for about the same on ebay with grills included.

angelface59:

The series 3 speakers are much better. You should be able to get stand mount 602S3's for less than 200 quid on ebay with covers. 603's are floor standing and are less popular (as they are a bit too bassy for hi-fi but great for home cinema fronts) so you should be able to get them for less.

This might be a reasonable deal if you could live without grills but I'm sure you could get them for about the same on ebay with grills included.

I think WHFI made a similar assessment when they reviewed them about 4 years ago. Talented speakers, but slightly lumpy bottom end. If you have a bass-reluctant amp they might just be the ticket.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the advice. i don't really like the look of the 3 series some thing about them silver domes a bit of a turn off. The series 2 are big chunky speakers and do look the business. I have emailed b & w for advice so see what happens. The seller is a dealer for B & W so where would he be getting them from hummmmm?

I have tried to google with out any luck?

Or save some more and get a pair of Kef Q5's?

T

the record spot

If it's a good bottom end you're interested in, Q Acoustics 1050i would be worth a look as well.

I have deliberately avoided references to shapely models in putting this post together...

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
The 603 S2 is a good speaker, not the last word in finesse but loads of Bass, I had them as fronts for many years before upgrading to the 805s, the 603 are now used as Rears much to my Wife's displeasure.

hifi4.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts