b&w 603 S2 anniversary floor standing speaker with amp....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
Left field idea.....what about an AV amp? Plenty of power if you pick a mid-range one.

I’m pretty happy with my Denon paired with my pre-anniversary 603’s. Music sounds good to my ears anyway

gasolin

Left field idea.....what about an AV amp? Plenty of power if you pick a mid-range one.

I’m pretty happy with my Denon paired with my pre-anniversary 603’s. Music sounds good to my ears anyway

They are not as good as a hifi amp, OP want a new amp and with all the surround sound, extra channels input's,dsp, dac,digital inputs, hdmi,mic, speaker terminals there isn't as much used on the stereo part of the amp as there would be in a hifi amp for the same price, some amps are even class d to make shure the amps can fit in the cabinet and to keep heat lower than class a/b

I was not aware, it must have occured recently BUT thank you for the update
It was reported here, but it’s still a bit unclear to me who handles what in the UK. In the January 2021 Hifi News magazine there’s a review of Rotel and B&W kit, yet the Rotel supplier is listed at Rotel Europe/ B&W Group, West Sussex which sounds just like the old days. Who is importing Rotel if it isn’t B&W?

That same journal tests the speakers in question, and the impedance drops below 3 ohms at 124Hz, so a beefy amplifier is required. Regardless of who owns who, the Rotel above has more guts than the otherwise enjoyable Naim, so it would get my vote too. I’d not discount the Peachtree Nova that Rick mentioned either.

Last edited:

MartinEvoke50

Aug 30, 2020
Visit site
It was reported here, but it’s still a bit unclear to m who handles what in the UK. In the January 2021 Hifi News magazine there’s a review of Rotel and B&W kit, yet the Rotel supplier is listed at Rotel Europe/ B&W Group, West Sussex which sounds just like the old days. Who is importing Rotel if it isn’t B&W?

That same journal tests the speakers in question, and the impedance drops below 3 ohms at 124Hz, so a beefy amplifier is required. Regardless of who owns who, the Rotel above has more guts than the otherwise enjoyable Naim, so it would get my vote too. I’d not discount the Peachtree Nova that Rick mentioned either.
Thank you

manicm

It was reported here, but it’s still a bit unclear to m who handles what in the UK. In the January 2021 Hifi News magazine there’s a review of Rotel and B&W kit, yet the Rotel supplier is listed at Rotel Europe/ B&W Group, West Sussex which sounds just like the old days. Who is importing Rotel if it isn’t B&W?

How do you deduce that the Rotel has more guts than the Naim? On paper specs alone? You may dislike Naim, but their amps are some of the most robust you’d find in terms of handling speaker loads. Don’t be fooled by its 60w/8ohm paper spec.

MartinEvoke50

Aug 30, 2020
Visit site
How do you deduce that the Rotel has more guts than the Naim? On paper specs alone? You may dislike Naim, but their amps are some of the most robust you’d find in terms of handling speaker loads. Don’t be fooled by its 60w/8ohm paper spec.
The power output of Rotel is 120w x 2 @ 8 ohms and this is twice the power output of Naim. Rotel has a far higher damping factor of 300 than Naim and this will help control with tighter grip the Bowers & Wilkins woofers than Naim

Reactions: nopiano

manicm

I think you need to audition both. The Naim should easily drive the 603s. The Nait 5si was measured to have actually 75w/channel before clipping. Don’t underestimate this amp.

In fact, I’d choose the Rega Elex-R over the Rotel too.

Last edited:
Reactions: rainsoothe

MartinEvoke50

Aug 30, 2020
Visit site
I think you need to audition both. The Naim should easily drive the 603s. The Nait 5si was measured to have actually 75w/channel before clipping. Don’t underestimate this amp.
Totally agree. The best way to make a final decision is through auditioning. We can all throw in all sorts of suggestions but at the end of the day it all comes down to AUDITIONING, AUDITIONING, AUDITIONING ( similar to LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION in real estate )

It's all about current delivery I feel. Not dismissing Naim but Rotel are reknown for their ability to drive awkward loads...... which is why I own one.

Reactions: nopiano

rainsoothe

In fact, I’d choose the Rega Elex-R over the Rotel too.
Same here. Not that I don't like Rotel, but Naim are awesome at controlling speakers, and very, very surprising if you look at the specs. I'll also + 1 the Rogue Audio Sphinx suggestion.

Yes, exactly, it’s twice as powerful. As already pointed out by two other contributors, double the power is worth having especially for speakers with a rather awkward load. Unfortunately, I can’t find an independent test of the Rotel but here is a pretty favourable one for the Naim, which manages 76watts on test, and is okay as long as you don’t play at party volumes.
I don’t dislike the Naim, but I’m conscious of the tricky speaker load the 603 Anniversary presents.

bry

Jan 13, 2021
Visit site
here is more probably my set up, just choosing which amp. which is your top pick?
i usually listen to music that has more base sound.

not in order.

b&w 603 s2
HEGEL H90
rega planar 3
marantz cd6007
strearmer still researching

b&w 603 s2
REGA ELEX-R
rega planar 3
marantz cd6007

b&w 603 s2
MARANZT PM8006
rega planar 3
marantz cd6007

b&w 603 s2
ROTEL RA1572
rega planar 3
marantz cd6007

b&w 603 s2
NAIM NAIT 5SI
rega planar 3
marantz cd6007

anyone can recommend a streamer for my set up? thanks

gasolin

Naim not to much power,lowest opf all the amps mentioned, does it get hot ?

From the sterophile review
I set it running at 20Wpc into that load. After 20 minutes, however, the amplifier turned itself off, indicated by the selected input button flashing. The chassis was very hot, with the left sidewall hottest at 118.1°F (47.8°C). I let the NAIT 5si cool down, then turned it on again. All was well, and I continued with my testing.

rotel more power more expensive

marantz might not have enough power 2x100 in 4 ohm,marantz PM8005 sounds okay but not more than avarage

rega fairly low price also a little short on power

hegel H90 discontinued ? Low power

In would go for min 2x100 in 8 ohm

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts