B&W 600 Series 5

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Efficiency can be improved, but at the detriment of other aspects of the performance. I think if producing high quality, efficient designs was that easy, we'd see a lot more on the market. If I remember rightly, you can't have high efficiency and deep bass from a small cabinet with an easy impedance load (not from traditional two way speakers anyway). It's either a balancing act or a compromise on one or more of those aspects. I may be wrong, but I'm sure that was quoted to me by one speaker manufacturer.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
WishTree said:
GCE said:
efficiency is now 87 vs old 90 dB

weight is 14 Kg vs old 18 kg :?

why???

I mean with an 87dB efficiency speaker, one needs to invest in a more powerful amplifier to drive them well. I can not imagine why a company like B&W would launch a product in 2014 with such poor efficiency... :wall:

The newer 684 will be less efficient and lighter because it uses smaller mid/bass drivers housed in a smaller cabinet. Most people will want a slimmer cabinet, even if it means having to have a slightly more powerful amplifier.

matthewpiano

So, with a new MA Silver series and this new 600 series from B&W, who is next? A new DM series from Dynaudio perhaps? Revisions to the KEF Q series? As these things usually seem to happen in competitive clusters, I'm sure we're not done with the new releases in the affordable speaker market.....

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
So, with a new MA Silver series and this new 600 series from B&W, who is next? A new DM series from Dynaudio perhaps? Revisions to the KEF Q series? As these things usually seem to happen in competitive clusters, I'm sure we're not done with the new releases in the affordable speaker market.....

I'm not aware of any update to the Q Series or the Dynaudio DM range, but with MA Silver, B&W 600, AE's Series 1 range, and Q Acoustics Concept 40, things are really hotting up under £1,000...as you say, there may be more on the way, so there could be one or two surprises at the Bristol Show :)

manicm

David@FrankHarvey said:
Shipping next month.

Eat your words eh David?? Told you so! :twisted:

One thing that worries me is that they've abandoned unrepentant bachelors like myself and covered the tweeter ala MA. That does not bode well for the soundstage, or could I be completely wrong???

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
manicm said:

One thing that worries me is that they've abandoned unrepentant bachelors like myself and covered the tweeter ala MA. That does not bode well for the soundstage, or could I be completely wrong???

Eat my words?

B&W produced a tweeter protector for the current 600 series which they claimed had no effect on the sound.

hone_u2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I have a feeling these will be absolutely killer!

I think B&W learnt a lot from their CM10 endeavour, and trickling it down in this fashion would certainly have benefits... :D

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
The new 685s are being run-in downstairs in our test room right now... they'll be getting some serious listening over the next week or two. And if you want to hear them for yourselves, they'll be officially launched at the Bristol Show later this month.

manicm

David@FrankHarvey said:
manicm said:

Eat my words?

B&W produced a tweeter protector for the current 600 series which they claimed had no effect on the sound.

You thought there wouldn't be a new 600 series. But I'm teasing. Not a laughing matter though is that tweeter cover though, yes it offers protection but I'm still sceptical about it not affecting the sound. Guess I'll have to hear for myself, or let you be the judge.

manicm

Yeah, if the 685 S2 lives up to the Mk 1 then I'm afraid the CM standmounts are now completely redundant. The 686 Mk 2 also holds promise, being front-ported, but with 84db even at 8 ohms it's going to need fairly powerful amplification.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts