AVR recommendation for my MA RX8AVpack!

jakja83

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
I have a setup consisting of RX8 floorstanders and RX-centre and I want a receiver to really get the best out of them with music, but also HT. Budget is around 1300£, but I don`t have to spend that much.

I have used an Onkyo 906 but I felt it lacked some sort of "flow" with music, hard to put into words, I want a fuller, clearer sound - that is good enough for critical listening to Holly Cole Trio, but also good enough to make rockets explode on action movies....

Any good tips?

jakja83:

I have a setup consisting of RX8 floorstanders and RX-centre and I want a receiver to really get the best out of them with music, but also HT. Budget is around 1300£, but I don`t have to spend that much.

I have used an Onkyo 906 but I felt it lacked some sort of "flow" with music, hard to put into words, I want a fuller, clearer sound - that is good enough for critical listening to Holly Cole Trio, but also good enough to make rockets explode on action movies....

Any good tips?

Hi jakja83

As you are after a 'fuller' sound than i would suggest that you consider Yamaha's RX-V2065, RX-V3900 or the DSP-Z7. They'll all work well with the Silver RX's. If the DSP-Z7 is within your budget than it is definitely the one to go for as the DSP-Z7 is imo the finest VFM AV amplifier currently on the market irrespective of price (even at it's full RRP of £1960).
emotion-1.gif
Since the launch of Monitor Audio's new Silver RX speakers i have sold more Yamaha DSP-Z7 with the RX speakers than any other AV amp. A superb AV amplifier.

Besides which Yamaha AV amps + Monitor Audio speakers = great match (time after time)
emotion-2.gif

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

jakja83

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
I am situated in Norway and here the Z7 is quite steep still, about 45% more expensive than the 3007, the 3900 cost about the same as the Z7.

I have been recommended the 3900 because of its many possibilites of manual control.

jakja83:

I am situated in Norway and here the Z7 is quite steep still, about 45% more expensive than the 3007, the 3900 cost about the same as the Z7.

I have been recommended the 3900 because of its many possibilites of manual control.

Hi jakja83

Fair enough.

The RX-V3900 is still a terrific amplifier and will be a great match with the Silver RX's.
emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

jakja83:And what about Denon 4310 e.g.?

Hi jakja83

The Denon's are good however ime i would still recommend the Yamaha's. The one thing that i have learnt over the years is that (when it comes to AV amps in particular) Yamaha inspires confidence.
emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

cwalduck

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Jakja83,

Save you money Bi-amping inproves things no end also make sure you use the "pure a" listening mode as this turns off video circuits, this snaps the sound into focus. I had an denon avc-a11sr before the onkyo and found the change to the onkyo sapped the music of all of its excitement making the changes above brought the life back to my music.

Have a good new year

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
jakja83:How would you compare the 2065 and the 3900 considering the task at hand?

They both excellent recievers, and while I feel the 3900 is the superior model, there may be a couple of features that could be of interest to you on the 2065 that may sway you that way. The main one is that the 2065 has dual HDMI outputs for use with a second zone or for use with a plasma/LCD and projector.

Bi-amping is definitely recommended in order to get the most from the RX8's.

The Denon 4310 is a strong AV receiver, and is more comparable to the DSPZ7, but for me, Yamaha's processing and effects steering win out, even at the cheaper price point.

A

Anonymous

jakja83:

You could buy from overseas...

A

Anonymous

I just bought the RX8 in combination with a Marantz sr6004. In my opinion a very good match with music.

Compared them with the rx-v2065 and a Denon 2310.

jakja83

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Thank you for that reply.

I am leaning towards 3900 from Yammi, but some say it lacks power and I am not looking to get a poweramp to complement it.

I would really appreciate some more thoughts on the best receiver for RX8s, I don`t need an abundance of HDMI`s or anything, but I am looking for really good sound, plenty of power and of course HD-sound.

Other candidates I am thinking of is:

Onkyo 3007
Pioneer?

A

Anonymous

Have a demo with the Pioneer SC-LX 82 I have this with the RX6's but also demoed with the RX8's I got the 6's to save a bit of cash as IMHO I didn't notice much difference to my ears, Both sounded great
emotion-21.gif

jakja83

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
You have tried other alternatives as well?

Demoing is not easy as I live on the countryside and have to buy via forums and tests.

TRENDING THREADS