AVI Neutron Five 2.1

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Here's a few photos which'll give you an idea of the environment and the size of the subwoofer.
5411550278_21d73fc19f_z.jpg

The room.
5411551950_d374f81d2f_z.jpg

Crouching down to reveal the sub.
5411548792_cf3a4d75dd_z.jpg

Neutron Five speakers, Panasonic TX-L32D25 TV, WDTV Live media player, Samsung Story 1.5TB HDD, True Colours Industries optical internconnect.
The remote on the left is for the WDTV Live, while the one on the right is for the Neutron Five 2.1.
5410940445_9ced7856ec_z.jpg

Neutron Five 2.1 Subwoofer from the top. It's about two jewel cases deep.
5411547364_cbf198abee_z.jpg

Neutron Five 2.1 Subwoofer from the front. It's about two and a half jewel cases high.

A

Anonymous

You remind me of when I moved house. I had the hifi set up before anything was out of boxes
emotion-5.gif

The sub is much smaller than I thought. Excellent.

Are you enjoying the sound?

A

Anonymous

Looks good PJ how does it sound? Have you dialed in the sub there are a lot of hard surfaces.
Nick

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Messiah:Certainly seems to fit in nicely.

More than anything else, this was the reason why I decided to look at the Neutron Five 2.1. Not only that, there's only one plug taken up by the DAC, amp and sub.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Nick21:Looks good PJ how does it sound? Have you dialed in the sub there are a lot of hard surfaces.
Nick
As far as the sub, I find different settings suit different circumstances. The 40hz is good for general listening. 80hz is good for quieter listening (like a loudness setting) or when I feel like more bass (reggae). I suspect I'll use the 80hz setting for the telly too.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
igglebert:....The sub is much smaller than I thought....
I'm told it has the same 10" driver as provided in the ADM9.1T sub. Amazingly, inside it's also got three 100 watt amps (with power supplies) and the DAC. It's only when you try to move it that you appreciate the amount kit it contains.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:What do you think of the Vs on their own PJ?
Err. I've not heard them on their own yet. But, if you're going where I think you're going, then you're right. When the sub is set to 40hz it adds the subtlest of re-inforcement to the bass provided by the speakers. I had to get down on my hands and knees the other day to confirm to myself that it was actually working! I didn't think to turn it off altogether. It's something that I'll have to try.

The cool thing about the sub is that you can control it completely from the remote. So if you want some trouser flapping bass (and it really does shift some air) it's a single button click away. Similarly, you can switch to something more subtle with one click. You can also select an a multitute of settings below, above and between these two preset values (but this requires more clicks).

Sorry if the review is taking a long time. Unfortunately, as you can see from the photos, we are in the middle of some fairly hefty building works and can only snatch the odd moment at the PC here and there. But hopefully you're getting a feel the system as we go.

PJPro:Here's a few photos which'll give you an idea of the environment and the size of the subwoofer.
5411550278_21d73fc19f_z.jpg
The room.
5411551950_d374f81d2f_z.jpg
Crouching down to reveal the sub.
5411548792_cf3a4d75dd_z.jpg
Neutron Five speakers, Panasonic TX-L32D25 TV, WDTV Live media player, Samsung Story 1.5TB HDD, True Colours Industries optical internconnect. The remote on the left is for the WDTV Live, while the one on the right is for the Neutron Five 2.1.
5410940445_9ced7856ec_z.jpg
Neutron Five 2.1 Subwoofer from the top. It's about two jewel cases deep.
5411547364_cbf198abee_z.jpg
Neutron Five 2.1 Subwoofer from the front. It's about two and a half jewel cases high.

Wow, that all looks gorgeous, PJ. Enjoy.

John Duncan

PJPro:if you're going where I think you're going, then you're right

Wasn't going anywhere really, other than wondering if you found them as good as I did. Probably benefit greatly from a sub, but I could never accommodate one (not even one that small).

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:PJPro:if you're going where I think you're going, then you're right

Wasn't going anywhere really, other than wondering if you found them as good as I did. Probably benefit greatly from a sub, but I could never accommodate one (not even one that small).
Even given the kit it replaces? And it only takes up one plug socket.

A

Anonymous

PJ,The system is looking really good - trust it sounds good too. A few soft furnishings maybe to soften the inevitable hard surfaces in a kitchen. Great to see the system being put to good use. Enjoy!

Phil

TRENDING THREADS