Avi Neutron 5

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Cypher:These are simply the best speakers I've ever had. I had lots of different brands in the past (B&W, monitor audio, Dali, Dynaudio) but the Neutrons are something else.
For the first time I hear real music, with lots of detail, great tight bass and the midrange is simply gorgeous.
The greatest thing about these speakers is that there is no listeners fatique at all, they sound just right.

I paid 500 euros for these speakers........simply unbelievable. Real value for money.

These are keepers. My search is over
emotion-2.gif

Good for you!

Just over 2 months ago I tried to arrange an audition of these but the manner of the dealer really put me off and I ended up contacting Ashley.

He in turn put me off saying I needed a far more powerful amp, citing the CA 840A as a minimum requirement and that using a lowish powered amp could lead to clipping amongst other issues. A PM6003 was also on the agenda at the same time, but following what I felt was rather negative feedback I took my interest no further. So, although I'm feeling very happy for you, I'm now feeling a bit gutted for myself!

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Cypher:These are simply the best speakers I've ever had. I had lots of different brands in the past (B&W, monitor audio, Dali, Dynaudio) but the Neutrons are something else.
For the first time I hear real music, with lots of detail, great tight bass and the midrange is simply gorgeous.
The greatest thing about these speakers is that there is no listeners fatique at all, they sound just right.

I paid 500 euros for these speakers........simply unbelievable. Real value for money.

emotion-2.gif

Good for you!

Just over 2 months ago I tried to arrange an audition of these but the manner of the dealer really put me off and I ended up contacting Ashley.

He in turn put me off saying I needed a far more powerful amp, citing the CA 840A as a minimum requirement and that using a lowish powered amp could lead to clipping amongst other issues. A PM6003 was also on the agenda at the same time, but following what I felt was rather negative feedback I took my interest no further. So, although I'm feeling very happy for you, I'm now feeling a bit gutted for myself!

Messiah

bay24:Cypher:These are simply the best speakers I've ever had. I had lots of different brands in the past (B&W, monitor audio, Dali, Dynaudio) but the Neutrons are something else.

emotion-2.gif

They are great aren't they! I have been thinking of treating them to better amplification. I have been thinking about the 2.1 sub mainly because all of my sources are digital.

If all of your sources are digital then I would certainly think hard about the Sub. Obviously it is designed to compliment the Neutrons perfectly and I think you will be very pleased with the combo. Like the ADMs, it is hard to find negative feedback about this system. That says a lot in my book!

T

the record spot

The Neutrons were always highly praised and this must be going back to the mid-90s when I first heard of them. Wonderful little speakers - absolutely on the shortlist one day, but not now. The kids'd try and make building blocks out of them or somesuch. The 3s were the first I encountered I think. Never once saw an iffy review, never mind a bad one, pretty much just universal praise.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site

emotion-2.gif

Great news. I loved version IV when I heard them. They're like B&Ws without the pillowcase in front of the drive units, or Monitor Audios without the shrapnel in the tweeter.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Messiah:
bay24:Cypher:These are simply the best speakers I've ever had. I had lots of different brands in the past (B&W, monitor audio, Dali, Dynaudio) but the Neutrons are something else.

emotion-2.gif

They are great aren't they! I have been thinking of treating them to better amplification. I have been thinking about the 2.1 sub mainly because all of my sources are digital.

If all of your sources are digital then I would certainly think hard about the Sub. Obviously it is designed to compliment the Neutrons perfectly and I think you will be very pleased with the combo. Like the ADMs, it is hard to find negative feedback about this system. That says a lot in my book!

And the ADMs are my other thought, if only they had one or 2 more digital inputs. I have demoed them twice now but neither time with my music and not in ideal conditions, sounded amazing though! Anyway I think a new tv is on the list first!

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
The PM6003 drives the Neutrons without any problems. Of course they will sound better with a more powerful amp but isn't that the case with any speaker ?

A

Anonymous

Cypher:The PM6003 drives the Neutrons without any problems. Of course they will sound better with a more powerful amp but isn't that the case with any speaker ?

No actually

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
On the avi site they say amp power between 50-150W.

I have the 2.1 setup for now and love them so much, but in the future I want to build a real 5.1 system with the Avi's. So then I need a AV-amp. Because have a lot of music DVD's.

What receiver would be a nice match for the neutron 5's? For movie and music?

I was thinking of Arcam AVR500/600, Primare SPA22 and the Naim AV2+Naim5i+Naim175.

what do you guys think?

Messiah

poldo:
On the avi site they say amp power between 50-150W.

I have the 2.1 setup for now and love them so much, but in the future I want to build a real 5.1 system with the Avi's. So then I need a AV-amp. Because have a lot of music DVD's.

What receiver would be a nice match for the neutron 5's? For movie and music?

I was thinking of Arcam AVR500/600, Primare SPA22 and the Naim AV2+Naim5i+Naim175.

what do you guys think?

Naim and AVI are you mad?
emotion-2.gif

I would drop Ash an email.

Personally I would go with Pioneer but that's because I like their receivers.

John Duncan

Richard Allen:
JohnDuncan:And don't forget that 5.1 is stupid, according to their manufacturer...

Why's it stupid then John??

I don't think it's stupid. But the manufacturer of the aforementioned speakers think that surround sound is a "cheap trick".

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Richard Allen:
JohnDuncan:And don't forget that 5.1 is stupid, according to their manufacturer...

Why's it stupid then John??

I don't think it's stupid. But the manufacturer of the aforementioned speakers think that surround sound is a "cheap trick".

He is right about that, you get less for more money, stereo is better value. But if you like to watch a movie with 3 or more people a center speaker is very useful.

I do love the Avi's 2.1 with movies, nice clean sound, but very controlled.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Oh, come on.

5.1 works. Anybody can hear that. I've done stacks of demos on 5.1 and they've all worked. Sounds like another manufacturer's emmisary workin' here.

davemartin01

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Well just to put a cat amongst the pigeons I have found myself increasingly not using my fairly top end Sony 5.1 surround as the stereo imaging on my 9.1's seems better and voices sound better/clearer and more central than the centre speaker on the surround system! Ok I miss the rear but can't say I miss it to be honest, unless watching Band of Brothers for the bullets!!

Actually quite annoying as I spent £600 on the Sony system and it rarely gets turned on now!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
davemartin01:
Well just to put a cat amongst the pigeons I have found myself increasingly not using my fairly top end Sony 5.1 surround as the stereo imaging on my 9.1's seems better and voices sound better/clearer and more central than the centre speaker on the surround system! Ok I miss the rear but can't say I miss it to be honest....

I am amazed you are even allowed to have 'legacy' equipment alongside ADM9.1s in the same house.

I thought they send out a 'Foo Squad' in advance of the product's arrival to sweep the premises for... PCs, Naim, legacy seperates, evidence you enjoy the BBC, record players, copies of hifi mags, FM tuners, cables worth more than £1 per metre etc.

(In fact merely posting here can be reported. Didn't you know?)

TRENDING THREADS