AVI Lab S21 amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Could anyone familiar with this amp share how it compares to modern similar priced amps like Naim XS, Roksan Caspian, Primare I30/I32. In its time the AVI amp was raved about as something special, does it still hold itself against the newer amps? Also I heard some remarks about transformer humm/ buzz. Is it a common thing with the AVI or something of amps of that age? My Roksan K2 is dead quiet (in the hum department). I am looking to replace it with something faster, more dynamic, less warm to run my PMC GBi's. Thanks!

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Hi Musicbox,

We happen to use a Naim Supernait and AVI Lab Series in testing (my own amp from home that has been hijacked might I add!). The Naim has the pacier, dryer presentation but is well balanced with it. The AVI has more grunt and a more powerful bass though it is a little softer with slightly brighter overall presentation. I've never had a hum problem with it.

I would say the AVI is like a beefed-up version of your Roksan while the Naim would probably offer more of the speed you're after. I haven't heard the recent Primares to compare.

Cheers,

Jim.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Jim, that's a very helpfull comparison. Slightly bright for the AVI is not a problem with my slightly dark PMC GB1i's. Soft is not too good though...

I am still contemplating the AVI since I can pcik one up for EUR 750, quite a bit cheaper compared to a used Naim XS let alone a Supernait...

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Well it's still a very good amp! The power of the bass alone may make up for the slight softness to it (and that's only in comparison to the Naim, I wouldn't say it's slow at all, just has a little less edge definition). The PMC's will respond well to power and few amps have as much current supply as the AVI, its transformer is nearly the size of a dinner plate! I'd still rate it highly with more modern alternatives and better than any I can think of at that price. Definitely worth a look.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts