AVI ADM9...shall I make the jump?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
fr0g said:
For the record, I take anyone's claim they can tell 320 Kbps MP3 from CD with a large pinch of salt.

In fact I simply don't believe them, or rather that they could tell them apart in verifiable scientific conditions...

Given that the OP stated very clearly (in his first post) that Spotify Premium 320K will be his preferred musical source, then your argument (and any counter argument to the quality of 320K content) is completely moot.

Surely the advice - and any related discussion - should be aimed at helping the OP to optimise what he is actually going to use rather than argue about higher res formats he has expressed no interest in.

Indeed. But I was not responding to the OP. As far as I was aware that wasn't the law yet?

My first post was a point to the OP that 320 Kbps was indeed good enough, my second a reply to another post.

I do apologise if I offended your sensibilites mr Chebby sir, but I was still under the assumption that it was a free country and that your good self had not yet achieved the magical "supermod" status. Please let me know if that has changed and I'll temper my responses accordingly kind sir.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I'd think they're isn't that many AVI owners in Germany, if any, given the alternatives available there.

p.S Frog you're putting it on a bit strong, but I agree with your sentiments. Did you say you live in Sweden? Anywhere near the west coast? Apparently we're planning to go there this winter, what with snow, Santa and all that.

@ OP

Wholeheartedly agree with others. Having a dem is essential. All actives, like all passives, will have their strengths and weakenesses... if you can't dem then look for a pair of ADMs on one of the auction sites. At least if the tonal qualities don't appeal you shouldn't lose much money.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
I'd think they're isn't that many AVI owners in Germany, if any, given the alternatives available there.

p.S Frog you're putting it on a bit strong, but I agree with your sentiments. Did you say you live in Sweden? Anywhere near the west coast? Apparently we're planning to go there this winter, what with snow, Santa and all that.

Yes Sweden.Near Karlstad (and the big lake in the middle)

The West coast can be nice.

It's been rather warm this year so far though. We got -9 and snow on Sunday, then +3 and partial melt today. Last few years I'd been out on the lake by now.

Also, if you want the "real" Santa, you need to go up to Northern Sweden where it crosses into Lapland (where Santa comes from)

You could visit the amazing "Ice Hotel" - which they rebuild every year and serve vodka in glasses made of ice.

As for the competion. I have heard many actives now, of all sorts of brands...some better than the AVIs. But none at the same or less price. That's one thing I would say about the ADM9 series...they offer better VFM.

I listened to some Genelecs that I think were better, but they were double the price, with no DAC.

However, I would suggest the OP visit a pro-audio shop.

(and definitely NOT go the Naim route - overpriced and quite obviously supplied with poor power supply if it can be upgraded to give better sound).

Hoodedcrow

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:

The OP I think said he often visited Manchester earlier in the thread which maybe you missed, so I was suggesting a visit to someone local there.

Hoodedcrow

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
You could always register at the AVI forums here [LINK REMOVED BY MODS - house rules], I'm sure someone would be more than willing to let you have a listen/audition if you posted that you are interested in buying some ADM9 speakers.

Some people prefer them with a sub so it maybe wise to take that into account also.

I diid have a listen to some CM1 speakers paired with a Rotel amp a while back and was very impressed with the sound, but when I heard the ADM40 speakers I knew almost straight away they were what I was looking for all along, it will be your own personal choice come the time and you will know once you hear the right system for yourself.

Good luck in your search.

sorry about the link................

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts