AVI ADM5s. An update from Facebook...

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
I mean, how much does it cost to send a loan pair out to reviewers? It's what everybody does, including businesses smaller than AVI such as EB Acoustics. They can't keep up with demand largely because of their positive publicity.

Add to that Graham Slee Products, hardly the biggest company in the world but he has a good website, friendly forum, has a loaner programme and his gear gets reviewed. :)

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Alec said:
lindsayt said:
I think it's a huge overstatement to say that John Duncan has wound the membership up over AVI.

I disagree. And I hope certain expeletive deleteds* over there who think I'm oh-so-anti-AVI all the time see this.

*If you think this means you, then it means you.

Can you or Frog or anyone else provide any examples where John Duncan has done this?

Sure, look at any recent AVI thread; there's been a lot of them. I will sound very harsh, but JD is a mod and, despite is protestations that he is not WHF, and his odd musing that has revealed he too has no truck with all that cable cobblers (so we know he's a sensible chap deep down) he is a mod, and so the standards should be a little higher for him. This is also true of Ash, and I've siad that there too.

One thing I haven't said here just now as im in a hurry is that, because of their positions of mods, it is very easy for them to make bobbin winding comments. Sorry, i dont mean easy, i mean many comments they make could be constured as such, adn they should acknowledge that and stop making them.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Also worth bearing in mind that all the money a company spends on advertising has to be recouped somewhere - in the price of the products.

Not always. If the advertising is effective, it gets recouped by selling a lot more product.

In fact the opposite can be true, in that a company with no advertising could end up being more expensive, if few have heard of them, and so might barely sell enough to cover the overheads.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Alec said:
lindsayt said:
Alec said:
lindsayt said:
I think it's a huge overstatement to say that John Duncan has wound the membership up over AVI.

I disagree. And I hope certain expeletive deleteds* over there who think I'm oh-so-anti-AVI all the time see this.

Can you or Frog or anyone else provide any examples where John Duncan has done this?

Sure, look at any recent AVI thread; there's been a lot of them. I will sound very harsh, but JD is a mod and, despite is protestations that he is not WHF, and his odd musing that has revealed he too has no truck with all that cable cobblers (so we know he's a sensible chap deep down) he is a mod, and so the standards should be a little higher for him. This is also true of Ash, and I've siad that there too.

One thing I haven't said here just now as im in a hurry is that, because of their positions of mods, it is very easy for them to make bobbin winding comments. Sorry, i dont mean easy, i mean many comments they make could be constured as such, adn they should acknowledge that and stop making them.

I have read most of the posts in most of the recent threads where AVI has been mentioned and I have never been wound up over AVI by anything that John Duncan has posted.

You haven't posted any specific examples. As in links to any particular examples of this type of behaviour from John Duncan - which is what I was hoping for from you or Frog or anyone else.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
JMacMan said:
Well, I've just received another email, so as to, it is said, add some 'perspective' as to my alleged anti AVI campaign now on WHF, in that someone has been asked to copy/paste some comments I made re the disengenuious marketing of foo and pseudo science, on AVI forums, over here, in an attempt to discredit me by any means possible it would seem.

Seems like all is fair in love and war.

I'd just refrain from commenting, and point to the post made on Facbook by AJ of AVI and quoted above as to the insulting comments made about the mods and membership here, and well, please form your own opinons.

I must admit, that I am astonished by the politicking, rudeness, insults and general nastiness.

There's only ever been one other cult like experience that I've had that could be described as being similar.... and it wasn't a religious one in the conventional sense, but another one name brand, who employed very similar marketing spiel and obnoxious techniques of attempting to further their commercial interests.

Why should I be surpised at all the personal insults and attacks...

JMac

Why? As has been said, and sadly ignored, in countless AVI threads; there is a good reason for the attitude towards the brand on this forum. IMO, AJ seems to enjoy bashing other brands, HiFi mags and audiophiles, but can't take any kind of questioning or criticism of his own products.

So I suspect in AJ's mind that he really thinks he and AVI are being persecuted unfairly, when the reality is that all of this negative reaction is really due to how he/AVI present themselves.

This thread actually makes me a little sad. As much fun as I have poking fun at AJ and AVI, I really want to buy a pair of ADM5s, as they would work nicely on my desktop rig. But buying one would make me feel like a tool, with the way AVI keep acting.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Alec said:
lindsayt said:

John Duncan said:
I can build websites for a sum beginning at £300, depending on complexity. However, just because somebody wants one, they should not consider my willingness to build one for them a foregone conclusion.

Look! He's doing it again! Some apologists might call it light hearted fun or gentle mocking, but it's obviously dripping with derision and poison.

He also claims to have actually heard ADM9s and didn't think they were for him, which is clearly impossible so he must be a liar :O

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Ajani said:
JMacMan said:
Well, I've just received another email, so as to, it is said, add some 'perspective' as to my alleged anti AVI campaign now on WHF, in that someone has been asked to copy/paste some comments I made re the disengenuious marketing of foo and pseudo science, on AVI forums, over here, in an attempt to discredit me by any means possible it would seem.

Seems like all is fair in love and war.

I'd just refrain from commenting, and point to the post made on Facbook by AJ of AVI and quoted above as to the insulting comments made about the mods and membership here, and well, please form your own opinons.

I must admit, that I am astonished by the politicking, rudeness, insults and general nastiness.

There's only ever been one other cult like experience that I've had that could be described as being similar.... and it wasn't a religious one in the conventional sense, but another one name brand, who employed very similar marketing spiel and obnoxious techniques of attempting to further their commercial interests.

Why should I be surpised at all the personal insults and attacks...

JMac

Why? As has been said, and sadly ignored, in countless AVI threads; there is a good reason for the attitude towards the brand on this forum. IMO, AJ seems to enjoy bashing other brands, HiFi mags and audiophiles, but can't take any kind of questioning or criticism of his own products.

So I suspect in AJ's mind that he really thinks he and AVI are being persecuted unfairly, when the reality is that all of this negative reaction is really due to how he/AVI present themselves.

This thread actually makes me a little sad. As much fun as I have poking fun at AJ and AVI, I really want to buy a pair of ADM5s, as they would work nicely on my desktop rig. But buying one would make me feel like a tool, with the way AVI keep acting.

I have to agree with you as regards your comments about AJ and AVI's behaviour, as I've experienced it first hand, and on numerous occasions, both in public on his website, and by personal email to me, and it was NOT nice in any way whatsoever.

I appreciate that some folks might see it as cutting off ones nose to spite ones face, and it is only my opinion, but no matter how good an AVI product was, I would simply not do business with such an rude and unprofessional company, under any circumstances, nor would I trust them in any business dealings, both personally, and also after reading about some of their dealings with customers which were couched in very negative terms.

It's not what one reads on the AVI website of course, which is naturally full of the most glowing reviews, but it's out there if you search....

Besides, there are other alternatives out there in the market place as regards active speakers, at all sizes and price points, and that come without the AVI baggage, so it's not as if there's a lack of choice and one has no alternative to AVI....

JMac

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
ID. said:
lindsayt said:
Alec said:
lindsayt said:

John Duncan said:
I can build websites for a sum beginning at £300, depending on complexity. However, just because somebody wants one, they should not consider my willingness to build one for them a foregone conclusion.

Look! He's doing it again! Some apologists might call it light hearted fun or gentle mocking, but it's obviously dripping with derision and poison.

He also claims to have actually heard ADM9s and didn't think they were for him, which is clearly impossible so he must be a liar :O

You dissiassociate me from your remarks, obviously, as I've never accused John of that lie, and his mocking fools who start saying things about how chossy AVI are about who they deall with is quite funny.

However, in order to be consistent I shoudl say that, had he not made that comment, and/or locked the thread, and/or just, well, shut up and been juts a mod, frankly, that would have been preferable.

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Alec said:
ID. said:
lindsayt said:
Alec said:
lindsayt said:

John Duncan said:

You dissiassociate me from your remarks, obviously, as I've never accused John of that lie, and his mocking fools who start saying things about how chossy AVI are about who they deall with is quite funny.

However, in order to be consistent I shoudl say that, had he not made that comment, and/or locked the thread, and/or just, well, shut up and been juts a mod, frankly, that would have been preferable.

I must admit I found some of the comments about AVI being very choosy as to who they deal with, quite funny as well...lol

Doubtless I'm on their "do not sell to him under any circumstances" list, but then for the reasons I've stated, I wouldn't choose to deal with them as a two man, mail order company either, not under any circumstances.

I've not noticed any spiteful or vindictive behaviour from John D at all, but then some people will always deliberately misinterpret things to suit an agenda.

More insulting email received overnight in my inbox, just to let me know that I've been given a good bollocking on AVI's forums for my allegedly 'spiteful' remarks about AJ/AVI's attitude.

It would seem I'm the new object of hate.

Siege mentality indeed.....

JMac

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Looked briefly at my old home away from home (sob) and saw there's a fair amount of support for comments made here about advertising, reviewing and an updated forum. There's also a bunch of people who acknowledge that it was through WHF that they heard of the speakers in the first place.

Maybe there will be peace, once the MD acknowledges that he needs to provide review copies and advertise :) It would be a shame if the speakers were genuinely good but died on the market because nobody had heard of them.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Looked briefly at my old home away from home (sob) and saw there's a fair amount of support for comments made here about advertising, reviewing and an updated forum. There's also a bunch of people who acknowledge that it was through WHF that they heard of the speakers in the first place.

Maybe there will be peace, once the MD acknowledges that he needs to provide review copies and advertise :) It would be a shame if the speakers were genuinely good but died on the market because nobody had heard of them.

You're absolutely right there , AL , quite a few people only became aware of AVI from reading all the cobblers that was written over here . I was one of them . So I would like to thank you and all your fellow detractors for increasing the profile of AVI over here and making me aware of them . However , it was all the glowing reports from satisfied customers that are not being paid by the company that convinced me that the ADM40s were the speakers that I wanted . So having listened to Ashley's demonstration pair I bought the last pair of cherry speakers .

I appreciate all you and your buddies have done to increase my musical listening pleasure .

Many thanks .

J

jcbrum

altruistic.lemon said:
Looked briefly at my old home away from home (sob) . . .

Have you emailed Ashley yet, lemon, with your demand list for re-joining the AVI forum ?

JC

T

the record spot

Like I said, it's the attitude of the company and some of the fanboys that suck big time. If they spent less time on their forum and more time updating their frankly out of date website, they might put a decent day in. Anyone going by it now would try to buy the Neutron 2.1 system, or one version of the ADM9, but so many of the references are out of date (9, 9.1, 9.1T....), ADM40 ready to ship... FFS.

That's the shop window to the wider world. Instead of making petty and snide comments about WHF, or the HiFi press in general (still happy to quote glowing reviews though I see...two-faced or what?!), or tired comments about the membership on this forum, wouldn't it just be better if they got on with their job and canned the rest?

J

jcbrum

To be fair to AVI, R Spot, they have acknowledged that their website is out of date, and revision is in hand, but the new website designer is being a bit slow in production. Apparently a complete re-write, with a new look and layout is envisaged.

The present situation arose simply because the previous webmaster retired.

JC

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Well, if AVI/Ashley and Martin want to send me a pair I happily try and review them impartially here and elsewhere.

I am Swiss and neutral be default x

regards

Um

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
the record spot said:
Like I said, it's the attitude of the company and some of the fanboys that suck big time. If they spent less time on their forum and more time updating their frankly out of date website, they might put a decent day in. Anyone going by it now would try to buy the Neutron 2.1 system, or one version of the ADM9, but so many of the references are out of date (9, 9.1, 9.1T....), ADM40 ready to ship... FFS.

That's the shop window to the wider world. Instead of making petty and snide comments about WHF, or the HiFi press in general (still happy to quote glowing reviews though I see...two-faced or what?!), or tired comments about the membership on this forum, wouldn't it just be better if they got on with their job and canned the rest?

hows that beast of an Onkyo holding out RS?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts