AVI ADM5s. An update from Facebook...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Um

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
and the bo##ock# continues.

bunch of bloody kids if you ask me................. everyone needs to

GROW UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Duncan

JMacMan said:
John Duncan said:
Does this mean he won't sell me some Ebony DM5s?

I think it means that he really, really, doesn't like you.

Nor me now it would seem... *sigh*

My HiFi world has ended....

JMac
Oh well (on all counts).

However, at least you can rest in the knowledge that you introduced him to the benefits of Class D amplification.

J

jcbrum

John Duncan said:
. . . at least you can rest in the knowledge that you introduced him to the benefits of Class D amplification.

I rather think it was Martin Grindrod (Chief Engineer) who did that, with the development of some rather clever and unique control circuitry for the DM5 amplifiers.

Martin has been heavily engaged in a R&D program, for more than a year, to produce a class D amp which will meet AVI requirements. The small size of the DM5 plate amps dictated unsually compact amps and psu. Switch-mode devices suit that application, but a quality and performance uplift was required, which has now been realised.

JC

John Duncan

jcbrum said:
John Duncan said:
. . . at least you can rest in the knowledge that you introduced him to the benefits of Class D amplification.

I rather think it was Martin Grindrod (Chief Engineer) who did that, with the development of some rather clever and unique control circuitry for the DM5 amplifiers.

Martin has been heavily engaged in a R&D program, for more than a year, to produce a class D amp which will meet AVI requirements. The small size of the DM5 plate amps dictated unsually compact amps and psu. Switch-mode devices suit that application, but a quality and performance uplift was required, which has now been realised.

JC

We await the deliberations of the Nobel committee with interest.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
JMacMan said:
I've just been informed that I've been banned from AVI forums, for commenting as I have about the above, and for bringing it to the readerships and John Duncans attention.

JMac

At least you were informed. The great God simply deleted any reference to me and my posts. Not surprised, though...

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
jcbrum said:
John Duncan said:

JC

Thanks for the infomercial. Shame the ADM5s are a huge step back notwithstanding. One input, no preamp, no DAC, they're up against a whole lot of competition from well-respected companies.

Tel me, how does AVI propose to sell these? Are they going to advertise and place products out for review as other companies do, or are they going to rely on shilling as before?

T

the record spot

JMacMan said:

JMac

I think the phrase "good riddance to bad rubbish" seems most apt JB. They have their world and are welcome to it. The spiteful petty-mindedness over there is beyond belief. I find it somewhat ironic that the old boy and his lapdogs have such short memories. Their problem. Don't sweat it JB. Some things are best left in the past. Shame really; the products are good, the company attitude sucks and probably costs them more customers than they realise.

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
John Duncan said:
jcbrum said:
John Duncan said:

JC

We await the deliberations of the Nobel committee with interest.

I await to see the patents applied for, with respect to intellectual property rights for the 'exclusive' AVI design.

I think I'd be on pretty safe ground to say that I don't think there will be any.

Not that there's anything wrong with AVI coming up with their own version of Class D.

I just intensely dislike the inference that Class D is 'shite' until AVI comes out with a supposedly 'better' version of it.

And as usual, for a science lead company, the facts are in very short supply.

Surely, because, as I've been personally told, I would never likely understand them...

JB

J

jcbrum

altruistic.lemon said:
jcbrum said:
John Duncan said:

JC

Thanks for the infomercial. Shame the ADM5s are a huge step back notwithstanding. One input, no preamp, no DAC, they're up against a whole lot of competition from well-respected companies.

Tel me, how does AVI propose to sell these? Are they going to advertise and place products out for review as other companies do, or are they going to rely on shilling as before?

Still Bitter Lemon ? ;)

JC

T

the record spot

Diamond Joe said:
Who'd have thought that grown men could get so wound up about some bits of tech, unbelievable. :roll:

Hey Joe (sorry...), they're not. The tech's good, the products excellent by all accounts. No quibbles there.

It's the attitude which sucks a big one.

T

the record spot

JMacMan said:
I await to see the patents applied for, with respect to intellectual property rights for the 'exclusive' AVI design.

I think I'd be on pretty safe ground to say that I don't think there will be any.

Not that there's anything wrong with AVI coming up with their own version of Class D.

I just intensely dislike the inference that Class D is 'shite' until AVI comes out with a supposedly 'better' version of it.

And as usual, for a science lead company, the facts are in very short supply.

Surely, because, as I've been personally told, I would never likely understand them...

JB

Maybe they'd send a copy to one of the tertiary qualified engineers on this site. Aherm...

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
JMacMan said:
I've just been informed that I've been banned from AVI forums, for commenting as I have about the above, and for bringing it to the readerships and John Duncans attention.

JMac

At least you were informed. The great God simply deleted any reference to me and my posts. Not surprised, though...

No, nothing from the Great God except a rather abusive and insulting email.

I received the 'news' from a third party AVI member.

As the Off topic section on their forum is for members only, undoubtedly I am having knives thrown at me as I speak....

Pleasant times....

JMac

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
JMacMan said:
As the Off topic section on their forum is for members only, undoubtedly I am having knives thrown at me as I speak....

Pleasant times....

shedhappens_jpeg.jpg

If only! :rofl:

Mods - Please update your signature to reflect your trade status, as per the house rules.

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
the record spot said:
JMacMan said:

JMac

I think the phrase "good riddance to bad rubbish" seems most apt JB. They have their world and are welcome to it. The spiteful petty-mindedness over there is beyond belief. I find it somewhat ironic that the old boy and his lapdogs have such short memories. Their problem. Don't sweat it JB. Some things are best left in the past. Shame really; the products are good, the company attitude sucks and probably costs them more customers than they realise.

Well, I've just received another email, so as to, it is said, add some 'perspective' as to my alleged anti AVI campaign now on WHF, in that someone has been asked to copy/paste some comments I made re the disengenuious marketing of foo and pseudo science, on AVI forums, over here, in an attempt to discredit me by any means possible it would seem.

Seems like all is fair in love and war.

I'd just refrain from commenting, and point to the post made on Facbook by AJ of AVI and quoted above as to the insulting comments made about the mods and membership here, and well, please form your own opinons.

I must admit, that I am astonished by the politicking, rudeness, insults and general nastiness.

There's only ever been one other cult like experience that I've had that could be described as being similar.... and it wasn't a religious one in the conventional sense, but another one name brand, who employed very similar marketing spiel and obnoxious techniques of attempting to further their commercial interests.

Why should I be surpised at all the personal insults and attacks...

JMac

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
:type:

I'm sure that most of you are aware of how the spiteful and vindictive WHF mod John Duncan has wound his membership to hate and crap on every AVI owner who tries to discuss us, presumably to protect ad revenue from the old guard. In the circumstances and because DM5s are in WHF's customer price range, I'm rather hoping AVI posters become a Juggernaught he can't stamp on. They deserve that for their shabby tricks.

:rofl:

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
the record spot said:
Diamond Joe said:
Who'd have thought that grown men could get so wound up about some bits of tech, unbelievable. :roll:

Hey Joe (sorry...), they're not. The tech's good, the products excellent by all accounts. No quibbles there.

It's the attitude which sucks a big one.

Finding myself on the receiving end of it, I'd have to agree; no complaints about the products, but the attitude... sheeesh...

JMac

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure that most of you are aware of how the spiteful and vindictive WHF mod John Duncan has wound his membership to hate and crap on every AVI owner who tries to discuss us, presumably to protect ad revenue from the old guard. In the circumstances and because DM5s are in WHF's customer price range, I'm rather hoping AVI posters become a Juggernaught he can't stamp on. They deserve that for their shabby tricks.

JMac, everything you said about this quote was fair comment.

I don't think that John Duncan is spiteful and vindictive. Quite the opposite. I find his posts on this forum fair-minded. I think it's a huge overstatement to say that John Duncan has wound the membership up over AVI. I find the comment on "protecting ad revenue from the old guard" to be an insultingly rude, unfair, ad hominem attack on John Duncan.

And Jmac's comments about AVI posters being encouraged to make pro-DM5 comments were entirely fair in response to this: "I'm rather hoping AVI posters become a Juggernaught he can't stamp on."

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
lindsayt said:
I think it's a huge overstatement to say that John Duncan has wound the membership up over AVI.

I disagree. And I hope certain expeletive deleteds* over there who think I'm oh-so-anti-AVI all the time see this.

*If you think this means you, then it means you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts