AVI ADM5s. An update from Facebook...

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

John Duncan

jcbrum said:
To be fair to AVI, R Spot, they have acknowledged that their website is out of date, and revision is in hand, but the new website designer is being a bit slow in production. Apparently a complete re-write, with a new look and layout is envisaged.

The present situation arose simply because the previous webmaster retired.

JC

Is it going to be better than the old one (which was already better than all other websites out there)?

J

jcbrum

John Duncan said:
I feel slightly left out. I haven't had any hate mail for ages.

Perhaps I should ask Ashley to email you with his thoughts on this thread, JD ?

Imo, It is a shame he cannot put his position forward, in response to JB's diatribe.

JC

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Alec said:
You dissiassociate me from your remarks, obviously, as I've never accused John of that lie, and his mocking fools who start saying things about how chossy AVI are about who they deall with is quite funny.

However, in order to be consistent I shoudl say that, had he not made that comment, and/or locked the thread, and/or just, well, shut up and been juts a mod, frankly, that would have been preferable.
Sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like you had. That was purely my own flight of fancy/illogic rather than anything actually said by anyone.

Never heard any of the products, but I'd love to because, going on reputation, the products are great. The marketing and fanboyism (of some users) just seems to have taken things in a very silly direction.

J

jcbrum

John Duncan said:
Is it going to be better than the old one (which was already better than all legacy websites out there)?

In it's day the old AVI website was very nicely presented, I thought.

Irrc, Ashley did put up a post somewhere which gave a sample page for the new website, which did look very good.

JC

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Well, JC, what can I say? You reap what you so, as Ashley is finding out.

Is he looking at different methods of marketing? The old way isn't going to work, as you of all people would be well aware.

I mean, surely it wouldn't cost much to put a review pair out to the magazives, and the off full page spread would help. Then there's TNT, 6moons and the other internet magazines - I would have thought they'd be delighted to provide reviews. I mean, surely Ashley isn't worried about the reviews, is he? I seem to remember during my brief stay he commented on the shed loads of awards he has from previous products, so that can't be an issue.

I wish him luck with the product, though do feel he has a problem differentiating it from the many similar, all of which advertise widely and can be bought from a number of stores both online and physical globally.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:

Is he looking at different methods of marketing? The old way isn't going to work, as you of all people would be well aware.

I mean, surely it wouldn't cost much to put a review pair out to the magazives, and the off full page spread would help. Then there's TNT, 6moons and the other internet magazines - I would have thought they'd be delighted to provide reviews. I mean, surely Ashley isn't worried about the reviews, is he? I seem to remember during my brief stay he commented on the shed loads of awards he has from previous products, so that can't be an issue.

I wish him luck with the product, though do feel he has a problem differentiating it from the many similar, all of which advertise widely and can be bought from a number of stores both online and physical globally.

They are a (very) small company. Although production of cabinets, boards etc is out sourced and the drivers bought in, final assembly and despatch are handled in small place by a very few people. - Perhaps this has changed since I was there but if not, I could imagine they (AVI) are very happy just to make a batch to pre-orders at a time.

Perhaps they don't want to produce more than they can chew comfortably. Ashley is probably past retirement age and for him and Martin this may be as much a labour of love (or hate, depending which fence you sit on) as it is an income.

He probably spends more time around automobile relicts anyway.

Maybe I'm wrong though being very much in touch with myself this is unlikely :)

It's blowing a hooley down here

regards

J

jcbrum

altruistic.lemon said:

Afaik, it's business as usual at AVI, with orders from the factory shop, and dealers (particularly overseas). They are getting lots of enquiries about DM5s and production is underway.

altruistic.lemon said:

AVI don't do any marketing really, and you know nothing about that of which I am aware or otherwise.

altruistic.lemon said:

You talk as if it should be you who is running AVI, lemon. The fact is that Ashley and Martin are doing the running, and you are doing the talking.

Talk is cheap, and you have no accountability.

JC

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Friendly advice, mate, that's all. You'll find most companies follow it. I mean, if they're happy selling to the faithful, fair enough. No one says they have to expand, and Drummerman makes some good points.

Given that, then what I don't understand then is the siege mentality, the constant criticism of WHF and (presumably) other sites, not to mention the continuous shilling. There are many small companies who do very well without adopting those tactics.

J

jcbrum

drummerman said:
They are a (very) small company. Although production of cabinets, boards etc is out sourced and the drivers bought in, final assembly and despatch are handled in small place by a very few people. - Perhaps this has changed since I was there but if not, I could imagine they (AVI) are very happy just to make a batch to pre-orders at a time.

They're not that small, DM. You overlook the fact that they have a considerable facility in South Wales where the majority of their electronics are assembled on a robot production line.

The Nailsworth facility is principally design, R&D, and Control HQ.

There are a lot more people employed making AVI equipment than just Martin and Ashley.

JC

J

jcbrum

altruistic.lemon said:
Friendly advice, mate, that's all.

You're not my mate, and you're certainly not friendly. You constantly whine and criticise about AVI, and attempt to undermine and belittle them. I regard your attitude as disingenous.

altruistic.lemon said:
You'll find most companies follow it. I mean, if they're happy selling to the faithful, fair enough. No one says they have to expand, and Drummerman makes some good points.

Given that, then what I don't understand then is the siege mentality, the constant criticism of WHF and (presumably) other sites, not to mention the continuous shilling. There are many small companies who do very well without adopting those tactics.

Are you going to continue to accuse me of shilling ? and continue to make unfounded derogatory remarks about AVI who are debarred any right of reply on this forum ?

[EDITED BY MODS]

JC

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
jcbrum said:
John Duncan said:
I feel slightly left out. I haven't had any hate mail for ages.

Perhaps I should ask Ashley to email you with his thoughts on this thread, JD ?

Imo, It is a shame he cannot put his position forward, in response to JB's diatribe.

JC

It's also a shame I cannot put my position forward on the AVI website, as I have been banned.

Instead, I get hate mail informing me of the bollocking I'm getting over there...

If you want to be fair, what's good for the goose, is good for the gander don't you think?

Or do you think AJ is the only person worthy of respect??

JMac

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
jcbrum said:
drummerman said:

They're not that small, DM. You overlook the fact that they have a considerable facility in South Wales where the majority of their electronics are assembled on a robot production line.

The Nailsworth facility is principally design, R&D, and Control HQ.

There are a lot more people employed making AVI equipment than just Martin and Ashley.

JC

They employ subcontractors, but certainly don't own any other facility than the garage that they assemble the various parts in.

Do they actually own the facility you mention in South Wales?

JMac

J

jcbrum

JMacMan said:

JMac

I think he's the only person with any accountability in this. It's his business and his capital and his living and he may run it as he chooses.

You, and the people who troll and criticise about Ashley and AVI, do so with no accountability or responsibility.

That doesn't count for much in my book.

JC

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
jcbrum said:
altruistic.lemon said:
Friendly advice, mate, that's all.

You're not my mate, and you're certainly not friendly. You constantly whine and criticise about AVI, and attempt to undermine and belittle them. I regard your attitude as disingenous.

altruistic.lemon said:
You'll find most companies follow it. I mean, if they're happy selling to the faithful, fair enough. No one says they have to expand, and Drummerman makes some good points.

Are you going to continue to accuse me of shilling ? and continue to make unfounded derogatory remarks about AVI who are debarred any right of reply on this forum ?

[EDITED BY MODS]

JC

Reading the various online comments that AJ makes about the WHF & PFM membership, I'd say people such as altruisticlemon, and many others, have something to whine about to be honest.

Do note, that my only beef with AJ and AVI, is the way he insults, belittles, deingrates, and humiliates people, and is happy to use science to support his views, and dismiss it when it doesnt suit him and his commercial agenda.

Do you consider that sort of obnoxious behaviour to be somehow OK, because he's in the business of making electronics/speakers?

Do you feel that people should just put up with this sort of obnoxious behaviour for ever and ever, without getting sick to the back teeth of it, and finally giving him a bit of his own medicine?

Have you possibly heard of Karma, and reaping what you sow etc??

As far as AJ's behaviour is concerned, enough is enough.

JMac

J

jcbrum

Bigsounds said:
How does a tiny insignificant brand manage to wind up so many people? :? :rofl:

Because they make extremely good HiFi
smiley-laughing.gif

JC

philipjohnwright

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
I can't help feeling that everyone involved in this debate is losing.

It's doing audiophiles everywhere a disservice. Could I suggest the thread is closed; the slight loss of 'free speech' would be more than offset by the benefits to our hobby in general

(and please note I'm not on one side of the argument or the other)

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
jcbrum said:
JMacMan said:

JMac

I think he's the only person with any accountability in this. It's his business and his capital and his living and he may run it as he chooses.

You, and the people who troll and criticise about Ashley and AVI, do so with no accountability or responsibility.

JC

If AJ had treated other companies, and individuals with some respect and courtesy, he likely wouldn't be getting the flack he is now.

Think about it JC

Courtesy costs nothing.

I'd also add that I'm not trolling, and I'm certainly not criticising AVI product

I am however, sick to the back teeth of AJ's manner in the way he treats people, and especially of late me, and I'm standing up for myself.

Is that OK with you? Or do you think I should just lie down and suck up the insults?

JMac

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Bigsounds said:
How does a tiny insignificant brand manage to wind up so many people? :? :rofl:

By subcontracting the winding-up to trusted partners, rather as they do their electronics manufacturing to an outside supplier, contrary to the claims above that

jcbrum said:
they have a considerable facility in South Wales where the majority of their electronics are assembled on a robot production line.

J

jcbrum

JMacMan said:
jcbrum said:
JMacMan said:

JMac

JC

If AJ had treated other companies, and individuals with some respect and courtesy, he likely wouldn't be getting the flack he is now.

Think about it JC

Courtesy costs nothing.

I'd also add that I'm not trolling, and I'm certainly not criticising AVI product

I am however, sick to the back teeth of AJ's manner in the way he treats people, and especially of late me, and I'm standing up for myself.

Is that OK with you? Or do you think I should just lie down and suck up the insults?

JMac

JMac/JB, frankly I'm bored by reading your repetitive diatribes. You had plenty of warnings about your behaviour on the AVI forum. You persisted and finally you were banned. What else can anyone say.

To use this forum as your platform for vindictive revenge by continuing derogatory remarks about Ashley is a mis-use of it's facilities, and afaik in breach of it's AUP.

You have had your say, and been given your airing. Now give up and shut up. This thread is supposed to be about AVI DM5 loudspeakers, not you endlessly harping on like a drama queen.

JC

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
JCB

Always remember no-one would have a qualm about the company were it not for the way it chose to use forums to market its products. Hopefully, you've all learnt the lesson.

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
jcbrum said:
JMacMan said:
jcbrum said:
JMacMan said:

JMac

JC

Think about it JC

Courtesy costs nothing.

JMac

JMac/JB, frankly I'm bored by reading your repetitive diatribes. You had plenty of warnings about your behaviour on the AVI forum. You persisted and finally you were banned. What else can anyone say.

To use this forum as your platform for vindictive revenge by continuing derogatory remarks about Ashley is a mis-use of it's facilities, and afaik in breach of it's AUP.

You have had your say, and been given your airing. Now give up and shut up. This thread is supposed to be about AVI DM5 loudspeakers, not you endlessly harping on like a drama queen.

JC

JC/JCB - I'm not bored by your diatribes, but your hypocrisy and editorialisng of the facts amuses me.

I chose to LEAVE the AVI forums some weeks ago - it's all there in print on the AVI forums if you want to read it. I CHOSE to leave, because I pulled AJ up there for his rudness, and insulting manner, and for his unfair denigration of other brands and technologies, on numerous ocassions to no avail other than being the recipient of even further abuse from him.

However, since choosing to leave the AVI forum, I have since been banned by drawing attention to more of AJ's insults, posted on the F/B page, and directed to John D, the mod here, and amongst other insulting remarks directed at members of other forums, all made by AJ.

It's not vindicitive revenge, it's telling the truth about my experiences of AJ.

I put up with it for far to long, in part out of admiration for some of AVI's technical accomplisments, and in part because I liked him.

But enough is enough.

If you want to attempt to deny me free speech, as to tell me to shut up, may I courteously suggest you do the same - I think most of the membership here are exceptionally tired of the AVI proselytising.

As to the snide drama queen remark - it takes one to know one sweetie... :cheer:

JMac

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts